xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households  (Read 252 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

Orb Networks: Free PC To TV Service For 17 Million Households
Posted by XanTium | March 22 00:27 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From the press release:

Orb Networks announced that starting today more than 17 million households with gaming consoles worldwide can now enjoy and share all of the digital entertainment on their home PCs directly on their living room TV screen, using the company's free MyCasting software as the bridge. The announcement comes as Apple begins shipping its Apple TV.

Orb MyCasting now works with the Microsoft Xbox 360, the world's largest game console installed base, as well as the Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation3, giving gamers the ability to bring all digital media to their TV screen without any additional costs or hardware requirements.

Orb turns the home PC into a personal broadcasting system, and lets users build and organize their own "channels" to enjoy their music, photos, video, TV, documents and other extras for viewing on any device with a streaming media player and Internet connection. The free MyCasting software allows you to enjoy all digital media from your home PC, as well as online videos from the growing source of Internet TV and content sites, on any networked device with an internet browser - be it other PCs, lap tops, PDAs or mobile phones with streaming players. And now, TV with gaming consoles including the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and PlayStation 3.

How Orb Works with your game console:
   1. Download load Orb at www.orb.com (Version v2.00.0856 or higher) onto your always-on Windows PC at home. It takes less than 3 minutes to do.
   2. For the Wii and PS3, turn on the TV that is connected to your game console and open your Web browser. Using your remote control or controller, log onto your Orb account through your game console at mycast.orb.com.
   3. For the XBox 360, go to the media tab and select the media type (video, photos, or music) you want to play on your TV. Click "computer" from the list of options, and you will see a list of the computers running Orb on your LAN. Select one and then pick from the available video, photos, or music.
   4. That's it. Now enjoy, watch and listen to any digital content on your home PC - videos, music, Internet TV and radio or any other online content you programmed in your Orb MyCast application: they are now all airing on your TV screen.

Read the full press release: orb.com
Official Site: www.orb.com

jhoff80

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »

The Orb program is awesome.  Not only can you do this, but I can also stream any video or music off of my PC to my Treo whenever I want.  Now if only I had a better upload on Comcast.   grr.gif

jabski

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »

so i can play any media (avi,divx etc) through my 360 ??????

zider

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(jabski @ Mar 21 2007, 11:13 PM) *

so i can play any media (avi,divx etc) through my 360 ??????

I just tried, and yes you can stream Divx avi files using this method!!!  This software works really well for my mp3s also.

subse7enx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »

jabski

It works with divx,xvid and avi so far (TESTED). The picture quality does not look too good though its a little blocky. I will be playing with the codecs in orb to see if it will help.

Minotaur

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

I can't get it to work... uses 100% CPU but claims Orb isn't running when I try to access the configuration.

Cr4z33

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

Can someone please check if this works also for DivX/Xvid HD streaming on XBOX 360 too?
For some reason I cannot reach that website yet. dry.gif

AZImmortal

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »

I was pretty excited about this development until I actually saw the blocky video output.  It's great if you don't already have another way to get media onto your TV, but I think I'll stick with my original Xbox and XBMC for now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

infamous_Q

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 01:33:00 AM »

yeah this seems just like a tversity rip off to me...

timbro

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cr4z33 @ Mar 22 2007, 01:50 AM) View Post

Can someone please check if this works also for DivX/Xvid HD streaming on XBOX 360 too?
For some reason I cannot reach that website yet. dry.gif

This is my setup.  Freshly formatted AMD 1800+.  I only use VLC to watch videos so i never download any codecs or anything.  I booted it up and I am able to watch Xvid files on my 360.  I dont have any divx on my computer but i assume that will work too.  It seems to be creating asx files from the videos and is transcoding on the fly.  The quality isnt that great but its watchable.

neushane

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »

I dont get it.  Why dont everyone just use vlc360 ?????????????????

This forum is perfect for this type of knowledge. Streaming video from your PC to your 360 has been capable for along time with vlc360 and it is easy to use. For some reason noone ever mentions it and everyone is always sooooooo shocked to learn that they can "now" stream video to their console. You dont need a media edition PC to run it either. VLC360 works great with XP. Google is your friend.

On the OT, I will have to try this Orb program out for comparisions but I can tell you that you wont get any pixels or blocks with vlc.

Mekapo

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(neushane @ Mar 22 2007, 12:35 AM) View Post

This forum is perfect for this type of knowledge. Streaming video from your PC to your 360 has been capable for along time with vlc360 and it is easy to use. For some reason noone ever mentions it and everyone is always sooooooo shocked to learn that they can "now" stream video to their console. You dont need a media edition PC to run it either. VLC360 works great with XP. Google is your friend.

On the OT, I will have to try this Orb program out for comparisions but I can tell you that you wont get any pixels or blocks with vlc.

i'm having trouble searching for a decent tutorial on setting up VLC360.  Any help?

timbro

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(neushane @ Mar 22 2007, 02:35 AM) View Post

VLC360 is based on VLC/VideoLan and of course it does require Windows MediaCenter 2005 as OS.   Maybe thats why?

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 04:08:00 AM »

well this is beta so i whont go and say its crap yet. but i installed it it used 99% cpu ran dirt slow and timedout on everything.  i would say the beta has a big memery leak somewhere. it seems to be able to handel real meda witch no other program can do on the 360 so maybe after they fix up the beta it will be usefull. the system regs say a amd prosser it must mean they have issues with my setup witch is a intel.

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 03:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(AZImmortal @ Mar 22 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

I was pretty excited about this development until I actually saw the blocky video output.  It's great if you don't already have another way to get media onto your TV, but I think I'll stick with my original Xbox and XBMC for now. wink.gif

exactly...well put...xbox with XBMC still works the best.

at least others are trying though - now if only we can get the appletv hacked for larger hard drive and divx/xvid then that would be a sweet piece of equipment - very sleek and portable
Pages: [1] 2