xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Media Sharing To 360 With Wmp11  (Read 1709 times)

Boiker

• Archived User
Media Sharing To 360 With Wmp11
« on: December 17, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

I previously had my 360 on my network with my old PC using media connect on XP Home. That worked great straight away. Now I have a new PC running XP Home again and am using WMP11 to stream media to my 360. However, when testing the media connection, the tests fail on 'PC Selected'.

I have allowed the 360 access to the computer using the settings in WMP11 and I have even allowed all incoming and outgoing ports on my router to see if it will work; but no joy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

EDIT: Just tested the connection on another PC on the same network and that connects fine. The one that connects is a Dell Dimension 8400 and the one that doesn't is a is a Shuttle SS31T. Both access the Internet fine.

This post has been edited by Boiker: Dec 17 2006, 10:59 PM

BrentPriit

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:30:00 AM »

Are you running SP 2 XP ?

Boiker

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 04:23:00 PM »

Yep. On both machines.

Lotus289

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 10:09:00 AM »

i have the exact same problem ever since i went from WMP10 to WMP11.  Bump!!!  Anyone have any ideas?

mike69

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

ya uninstall it... and stick with media connect... wmp11 sucks imo.

nekrosoft13

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »

i have WMP11 also teh same problem

i went into library, then media sharing, checked the checkmark, press ok, wait few minutes, and nothing happens.

360 and pc (XP SP2) are both on the same workgroup. DHCP is on, tried turning on UPNP, same story

nuespeedgti

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »

Other computers and devices on your network cannot play items on your computer until they are given permission to access your Player library. You can either choose to manually allow only specific computers and devices to access your library or you can choose to automatically allow all computers and devices on your network to access your library.

Do one of the following:

To manually allow specific computers and devices to access your library, click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing. Click Settings, and then clear the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box.

If the Settings button does not appear on the Media Sharing dialog box, media sharing is not turned on. For information about how to turn on media sharing, see Share your media with other people or devices.

When the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box is cleared and the Player detects a new computer or device on your network that has not been allowed to access your Player library, you will be prompted to manually configure the computer or device to access your library. For information about how to configure computers or devices to access your library, see the customizing which devices have access to your library section in this topic.

To automatically allow all computers and devices on your home network to access your Player library, click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing. Click Settings, and then select the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box.

If the Settings button does not appear on the Media Sharing dialog box, media sharing is not turned on. For information about how to turn on media sharing, see Share your media with other people or devices.

When the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box is selected and the Player detects a new computer or device on your network that has not been allowed to access your library, the device or computer will automatically be allowed to access your library. Note that this check box does not override any changes you make in the Media Sharing - Customize dialog box. For example, if you click the Customize button and then deny a specific device access to your library, it will continue to be denied even if the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box is selected.

Warning
If you select the Allow new devices and computers automatically check box, potentially any device on your network will be able to see and play all the items in your Player library. For example, if you have a laptop and you use it outside of your home (such as at work or in location that offers public Internet access), you might inadvertently share your media with other computers or devices in that location. For this reason, we recommend that you only select this check box if you are connected to a secure network (such as a home network that is password-protected) and you trust all the devices on that network. For more information, see Privacy and security considerations when sharing media.

blaziantiger

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »

I'm having the same problem. I used to be able to share between my 360 and my computer via a second NIC and a crossover cable, but it all of a sudden stopped working again. I ALSO have a Dimension 8400, strange

blaziantiger

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

this was my problem, as quoted from the xbox website http://www.xbox.com/...talmedia/pc.htm

In the rare event that your PC and your Xbox 360 console are connected to a router and your PC is using a Windows ICS connection to a third device, media sharing may not function.

Media sharing depends on the Xbox 360 console's UPnP traffic. This traffic may be blocked by a PC in this configuration. If this occurs, either turn off ICS to unblock UPnP traffic or rearrange your network.

So I had to turn off ICS

acribb

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

Might try enabling the Media Sharing service as well in services.msc.  

I had the same problem and that was what fixed mine.

However, if you're happy with only being able to stream WMV files through WMP11 then go with that.

Otherwise, Tversity will give you more flexibility.

MCE 2005 with HDTV Pump and Transcode 360 will give you the absolute most flexiblity with what you can stream.

toutski

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »

I had the same problem.

When you install WMP11, Windows Media Connect is handled through Media Player.

Open WMP 11 > Tools > Options > Library > Configure Sharing > Then allow the Xbox 360.

This worked for me.

nekrosoft13

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »

oh damn i totally forgot about the service

i will check when i go home after work.

few months ago, i went thru the services and disabled quite a few

jgammel

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

I agree that WMC is the way to go...but I'm using AVG 7.5 antivirus and firewall and I still have had no luck getting my xbox to find my pc?? WMC sees the 360 fine.  Any help?  Thanks

nekrosoft13

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »

WTF

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service won't start because Universal Plug and Play Device Host won't start FUCKING BULLSHIT

look at the screenshots

Universal Plug and Play Device Host starts and stops, because service says it has nothing to do :|

IPB Image

IPB Image

fxkenshi

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

nekrosoft13, try this, it worked for me.

http://blogs.msdn.co.../20/515333.aspx
Pages: [1] 2