xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Media Player 11 Won't Stream Video to Xbox 360  (Read 138 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Windows Media Player 11 Won't Stream Video to Xbox 360
« on: September 07, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | September 8 00:30 EST

We already talked about this earlier this week, but today the guys over at arstechnica.com managed to contact Microsoft - Windows Media Player 11 will not allow video streaming:
I decided to fact check it and drop Microsoft a line. The bad news is that it was an error on their part. While WMP does support Windows Media Connect for pictures and music, video is not supported.
Read More: arstechnica.com

In meantime Microsoft also updated their WMP 11b2 website:
The new Media Sharing feature of Windows Media Player 11 lets you enjoy the contents of your Windows Media Player library from anywhere in your home. If you have a home network (wired or wireless), you can use Windows Media Player 11 to stream the contents of your library to networked devices. For example, if you have an Xbox 360 or other digital media receiver (DMR), you can use Windows Media Player to stream music and pictures from your computer to that device. This even works with music that you've downloaded from PlaysForSure music stores and services.

ebrunn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

they just want everyone to either buy vista or buy media center for like $300

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

ArkitekT

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(ebrunn @ Sep 8 2006, 05:56 AM) *

they just want everyone to either buy vista or buy media center for like $300

talking about vista ... did MS ever confirm it would stream video from any vista edition?

sure it streams video from the beta/rc versions MS is releasing ... but that's the "Ultimate" edition ($399.00 Full / $259.95 Upgrade).
I wonder if it'll work with the "Home Basic" ($199.00 Full / $99.95 Upgrade) too. With the "Home Premium" ($239.00 Full / $159 Upgrade) it should work as it'll have the media center features too.

The "Business" ($299.00 Full / $199 Upgrade) and "Enterprise" editions don't have the media center features either afaik.

-Spud-

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:21:00 AM »

And when PS3 offers streaming video from any PC or USB device what will Microsoft do then? They'll jump on board and all of sudden WinXP WILL support video streaming that's what!!!

So wait at least till Nov all you 360 owners out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

GARRYB

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 03:29:00 AM »

im gonna talk about the same thing that when will ms learn that if they dont integrate divx and otehr proggies to play videos from the hdd for xbox they are never gonna sell as many console systems as they have in mind. oh well some hackers will ahve to figure out the way and slap it on microsoft mouth.

[email protected]

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:37:00 AM »

Its more important now than ever that someone gets homebrew to work with the 360. Since MS is so damn stubborn on their part, the box needs to be hacked!

Big Al

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 05:46:00 AM »

MS should decide whether they want to sell xbox360's or Operating Systems.   Actually, now that I think about it, I guess they have decided; which is why I haven't bought one.

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(GARRYB @ Sep 8 2006, 04:00 AM) *

im gonna talk about the same thing that when will ms learn that if they dont integrate divx and otehr proggies to play videos from the hdd for xbox they are never gonna sell as many console systems as they have in mind. oh well some hackers will ahve to figure out the way and slap it on microsoft mouth.

Selling more consoles won't necessarily win the battle, as it is more important with the attach-rate of consoles's games and accessories.  Consoles are sold at a loss and so selling consoles so that we can watch all of our divx and other codec videos, while great for us, will not help and probably hurt MS more.  Thus, we must wait on the hackers...

ChrisF

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:00 AM »

Although I can see it being undesirable for MSFT to sell consoles that would only be used for video streaming of a wider array of codecs, I know very few people who wouldn't wind up buying a few games and accessories (i.e. remote control) for the device.  What people need is a reason to own one.  Frankly, I'd have bought a 360 if it could handle the codecs I use as what I really want is ability to stream and process HD video.  I'd venture that at worst I'd have purchased a remote and a game or so by this point too.  I'd probably also wind up buying quite a few more over the life of the console (Gears/Halo3 etc...).  But that said, I don't want to play those games enough to shell out for a console right now and certainly the media center capabilities have kept my money in my pocket rather than incentivising me to go get one.

scooby_dooby

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

what a fuckin joke. Who the hell is running this show? Get your shit together MS and quite being so fuckin stupid.

KamiK

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

can someone tell me how to stream music to the xbox 260 via wmp11, ive tried everything a step by step guide wud helo

iPwn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(-Spud- @ Sep 8 2006, 09:52 AM) *

And when PS3 offers streaming video from any PC or USB device what will Microsoft do then? They'll jump on board and all of sudden WinXP WILL support video streaming that's what!!!

So wait at least till Nov all you 360 owners out there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

maybe not, they might try to win over the battle with something else, but i dont mind not having the streaming video part. Thats why i still have my xbox.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

damn... this sucks. Im to lazy to boot up my desktop to run media center damn it...cant you just let me stream from my laptop..which is always on my bed..which is where i always am..damn it!