xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FAQ: Xbox Multimedia Features and Abilities  (Read 309 times)

durgaprasadzone

• Archived User
FAQ: Xbox Multimedia Features and Abilities
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »

Thanks for inf. sleeping.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »

Xbox 360 Multimedia FAQ

--=PHYSICAL MEDIA=--

What kinds of discs can the Xbox 360 Read?
The Xbox 360 can read Xbox 360 Discs, Xbox 1 Discs, DVDs, CDs, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DualDiscs and probably some other formats as well.

Can the Xbox360 play DVD Audio Discs?
Yes

Can the Xbox360 play MS's own WMV HD DVDs?
No (despite the fact that pre-launch they said it could), however if appropriate licenses are available WMV HD files may be streamed over the network using windows media connect.

Can the Xbox360 play the upcoming HD-DVD or BRD media?
The base hardware no, however their is now an HD-DVD drive that connects through the USB port that will allow the playback of HD-DVD movies. There is no Blu-Ray drive add-on avaible or planned.

Do I need to purchase something like a "playback kit" to watch my DVD movies?
No The Xbox360 will allow DVD playback without any additional purchase, Although the remote is not included with Core versions the IR receiver is built in so you don't have to worry about it taking up any ports on your Xbox360 either. Early Premium Edition consoles will come with a "Media Remote" which is a smaller version of the $30 "Universal remote" available. HD-DVD movies require the purchase of the external HD-DVD USB drive.

Is DVD playback progressive scan this time, or better yet, upscaled to HD?
DVD playback is definitely progressive scan, It does not support upscaling through component video connections. If you have your Xbox 360 setup to output in 720p, 1080i, or 1080p it will automatically switch to 480p when a DVD movie is inserted. However if using a VGA connection movies will be scaled to your desired output resolution.

Can I rip music from a CD to the Xbox360's optional hard drive through the Xbox Dashboard?
Yes

Can I copy MP3s from an MP3-CD to the Xbox360's optional hard drive through the Xbox Guide?
No, music can only be ripped from an actual CD. However If you burn MP3s into a standard audio cd format you can rip those to the Xbox360's optional hard drive.

Can I rip DVDs to the Xbox360's optional hard drive?
No

Can I play video files from a disc?
Yes, in addition to DVD movies you can play WMV files from a writable DVD or CD.

--=STREAMING MEDIA=--

...From USB:

What kind of files can I stream from a USB device?
You can stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, and Picture files in JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

Can the Xbox360 stream media from other sources?
Yes; you can stream media from MP3 players, Digital Cameras, Pen Drives, (any USB mass storage device) Even hard drives connected through USB.

Do I need anything special to Stream from my Apple iPod?
Yes there is a driver required to stream music from an Apple iPod, this can be downloaded for free through the Xbox Live Marketplace.

...From Window XP Media Center Edition PC:

Will I have to buy a Media Center Extender Kit to stream video from my Media Center PC?
No, Media Center Extender Capabilities are built right in.

What type of files can I play/stream?
With a Windows Media center PC you can stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, Picture files in JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

Can the Xbox360 Play Divx and Xvid files?
NO, however there are many applications available that can re-encode your videos to the supported WMV format. As of December 07, it can.  See DivX FAQ here.

Can I run Media Center Applications through the Media Center Extender?
Yes you can, however it seems to be somewhat limited and often buggy.

...From a normal Windows XP PC:

Will all network streaming be done through the Media Center Extender?
No, the Xbox360 has network streaming capabilities auxiliary to the Media Center Extender that can allow it to stream from non MCE Windows XP machines. This can be done through a free program called "Windows Media Connect". However it is a simple streaming application and not as feature filled as the Media Center Extender.

Where can I download Windows Media Connect?
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/e...8a/wmcsetup.exe

With Windows Media Connect you can stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, Picture files in JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG, and TIFF formats, and video files using Mpeg-2 and WMV codecs.

--=XBOX GUIDE=--

Will the Xbox Guide Work while I'm watching a DVD or playing a CD
Yes

Can I turn off Alerts while watching a movie?
Yes, there is an option to disable Alerts while watching a movie.

Can I use streamed music [from a PC or USB device] as an in-game soundtrack?
Yes, Music stored on the optional hard drive, as well as any device that the Xbox can stream music from can be used for an in-game soundtrack. Simply pausing the Xbox Guide button will bring up a menu where you can setup your custom soundtracks.

What is the difference between the Xbox Guide and the Xbox Dashboard?
The Xbox Guide offers access to certain features while you are in the middle of playing games/movies/music/etc. Features such as controlling your custom soundtracks, sending messages/invites, and viewing stats. Because of this it must take minimal system resources. The Dashboard is reserved for more resource intensive things like ripping music, launching arcade games, changing system settings, etc. To access the dashboard you must exit your game, or movie. The Xbox guide can be accessed while in the Dashboard, and you can stop your game or movie and enter the Dashboard at anytime through the Xbox Guide.

If I don't have the optional Hard Drive will I still have the Xbox Guide and the Xbox Dashboard?
Yes, the Guide and Dashboard are not stored on the optional hard drive so they will still be available even without it.

-------------
If anything needs to be added or corrected in this FAQ please post here or PM me and I will make the necessary changes (and give you credit of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) )

Thanks to:
VinnySem
grim_d
ade_dnb

This post has been edited by StrictPuppet: Jan 14 2008, 07:12 PM

VinnySem

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 05:01:00 AM »

Hey twisted...

The information about DVD upscaling should be updated to reflect the changes since the recent dashboard update, which will upscale a DVD to 720p if you have VGA cables.

mistercash

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »

Can you tell me if you can play dvd-files like *.vob *.ifo with menus
I mean play DVD's ripped to hdd on a media center through xbox360. With browse possibilities. Have several DVD's ripped to HDD and stream them through xbox (xbmc). I would like to know if this also possible with the xbox360 with a media center server

Maybe something to add in FAQ (streaming)
Can't find any answer here on forum

This post has been edited by mistercash: Oct 31 2006, 12:56 PM

SANGER_A2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »

Not for a while yet. At the moment the DVD drives can be chipped to play copied games but I think it''ll be while before we see a chip to override the bios and all other other 360 security that will let you do all the cool stuff and Xbox 1 can.

Incidentally a post about how the Xbox 360 can play pictures on CD/DVD would be good as that's what I can on here to check. As it can do it from USB I'm assuming it can but I don't have a 360.

ade_dnb

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Dec 1 2005, 07:40 PM) *

Can I play video files from a disc?
Outside of DVD movies you can't play any video from Discs.

If anything needs to be added or corrected in this FAQ please post here or PM me and I will make the necessary changes (and give you credit of course cool.gif )

*.WMV files work stright from a dvd disc.  Haven't tried a normal cd yet

With Windows Media Connect you will be able to stream Audio files in MP3, and WMA, and Picture files in jpg, gif, bmp, png, and tiff formats. You CANNOT stream Video files to your Xbox360 through Windows Media Connect.

You can now stream *.wmv through Media Connect on a Windows XP Machine.

Was looking through and read those 2 things that need to be updated.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »

Updated to reflect the recent dashboard updates (as in after December of 05  laugh.gif )
I also fixed a few minor spelling errors

let me know if anything else need to be covered or is incorrect. beerchug.gif

signal2noise

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:00 PM »

Just a word on upscaling.

Just because a device upscales doesn't mean it does a very good job of it. The quality of the scaler makes a HUGE difference in the quality of output. Scalers like Faroudja make SD content look really amazing on HD monitors while much of what I have seen on inexpensive DVD players isn't anything to write home about.

Also, many if not most HDTVs have built in scaling as well.

So the question isn't just if the 360 will upconvert but how well it scales.

Having said that, I have not a clue on the answer.

chinchillanet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »

Xbox 360 Multimedia FAQ

Can the Xbox360 Play Divx and Xvid files?
NO, however there are many applications available that can re-encode your videos to the supported WMV format.

update - not sure if its been covered, but you can use a program called Transcode360 to stream DIVX and XVID files from a media centre pc, it can be a bit jubby and does have some problems on slower networks, but other than that it works fine

kornesque

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 04:17:00 AM »

you don't happen to know the max video bitrate the 360's capable of do you? i'm trying to play a 17mbps wmv, and it stalls after about 10 seconds.

michael9413

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »

Hi to all,

I have a problem here.
My Xbox 360 pop-up this code (69-02-8007045D) when i'm playing converted WMV from my HDD attached by USB.

Can anyone help me on this?
Thanks in advance

onlyking

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 07:22:00 AM »

that's right

that's right

andefobe

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »

Why isn't there any info about the new HDMI output ? Regarding resolution-support and upscaling ??

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »

Well, since this faq is outdated about the divx/xvid playback, I was wondering if I also missed anything about x264; how was the update for it, do we have to stream over network, or still convert to wmv?

Antman1

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Well I so far have yet to get my 360 to see the Divx files when I tell Zune to share the folder with my Divx in it.  Anyone know how to get the 360 to use the Divx files not from the PC over the Network since this new Dash Update?
Pages: [1] 2