xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Dedicated Temperature Thread  (Read 1129 times)

danked

• Archived User
Dedicated Temperature Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(danked @ Jan 17 2010, 11:42 PM) View Post

Xenon

Idle
CPU: 78.5C
GPU: 71.1C
EDRAM: 74.1C
MB: 36.2C

took out the DVD drive and put a 80mm fan on top of the GPU heatsink and the GPU temp is down to 55c idle

dpbmt

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »

Version: Xenon
Heatsinks: Stock heatsinks
DVD Drive: Yes
Case attatched: Yes
Mods: 12v fans, partition in the shroud, tin foil over heatsinks to fan shroud
CPU: 62
GPU : 48
EDRAM : 51
MB : 28

temps before :

CPU - 80
GPU - 71
EDRAM - 70
MB - 30 - after 30 mins idle

ert13

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »

It seemed that my Jasper512 was running hotter that it should when comparing to the figures posted here. My gpu ran at about 65C with CPU at 45C

Then i applied the following cooling mods

I added a fan ontop of the GPU heat pipe. That brought the GPU temp down to about 59C. After that I added the fan shroud partition and a piece of cardboard ontop of the GPU heatsing so consentrate the airflow. Now my temps are a follows:

CPU   41.1C
GPU   49.3C
ED     49.5C
MB     36C

Ambient: +-20C

Did not want to do the 12V fan mod coz of the noise, but the mods i did removed about 20C from GPU without increasing the noise

kipper2k

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »

Heres my readings on one of the new Falcons i bought,  both stock and then modded with my mod

Falcon (Brand new - refurbished
16mb, with the stock heat pipe

Idle
CPU: 59.2C
GPU: 74.1C
EDRAM: 73.7C
MB: 34.2C
Fan voltage 6.1 (measured across the fan wires).

After installing the mod

Idle
CPU: 49.6C
GPU: 52.1C
EDRAM: 54.2C
MB: 32.4C
Fan voltage 7.2v   (measured across the fan wires).

Its important to note that MS deliberately slowed the fans down so that the 360's remained quiet so as not to irritate owners. If they were to have run them faster and cooler i would imagine there would have been a lot fewer deaths

The mod info can be seen here. All the ones i have modded have similar improvements without the fans going full tilt... The fan idling speed can be set to whatever voltage you want

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=703046

This post has been edited by kipper2k: Jan 19 2010, 05:58 PM

Antman1

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »

I have a Xenon with stock fans and no mods to the GPU or CPU at all.  Original XClamps still in place.  

Here are my readings at idle,  

CPU 80.1C,  GPU 92.0C , EDRAM 99.8C, MB 38.9C

After seeing these temps I applied the "FanSpeedFlasher" app and did the "70speed.xex" file.  these were my speeds at idle 30 min later:

CPU 80.0C,  GPU 93.0C , EDRAM 99.8C, MB 38.2C

kipper2k

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(Antman1 @ Jan 19 2010, 06:39 PM) View Post

I have a Xenon with stock fans and no mods to the GPU or CPU at all.  Original XClamps still in place.  

After seeing these temps I applied the "FanSpeedFlasher" app and did the "70speed.xex" file.  these were my speeds at idle 30 min later:

Ouch!,  that looks bad, thats a RROD candidate for sure.  I would definately start by removing original clamps and doing the xclamp mod

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(Antman1 @ Jan 19 2010, 01:39 PM) View Post

Hey just so you know fanspeedflasher doesnt work correctly on most systems. you are better off doing the manual 12v mod

intealls

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »

INFO:
Model: Premium (Xenon)
MFR Date: 09/02/2007
Time in service: ~ 2.5 years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Usage: Light
Cooling: Stock
Temps read via: XeXMenu v1.0

Room Temp ~ 20C

20 mins XeXMenu
CPU: 79.9C
GPU: 81.2C
EDRAM: 79.8C
MB: 32.1C

Replaced X-Clamps (as a preventative measure, it has never RROD'd), thermal paste replaced with AS5 (CPU+GPU).

This post has been edited by intealls: Jan 19 2010, 07:07 PM

intealls

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »

Just did the fan shroud mod. It appears to have lowered the GPU temp with about 4-5 deg C. It maxes out at around 77 now.

wyldstallions

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »

And now:

Xenon with gpu heatpipe type heatsink.
Fan shroud divider mod
Talismoon whisper fans (at normal speed) (run fan speed flasher but doesn't seem to make any difference)
Foil extended shroud
XCM core cooler running at 5v (angled towards the gpu heatsink)

temps after an hour or so idle in xex menu.

CPU 79.0c
GPU 63.1c
EDRAM 68.7c
MB 37.9c

Quite happy with the GPU temp which is down from its previous score of 75c but not so happy with CPU temp.

So some adjustment required I think.

Not sure the shroud divider mod is really going to do anything as there is a big gap between the fans and the MB to suck air out of the underside of the board as well. Can't see that adding the divider is going to force any more air through the GPU heatsink myself. without blocking this gap which will prob lead to other problems.

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 03:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ert13 @ Jan 20 2010, 03:08 AM) View Post

It seemed that my Jasper512 was running hotter that it should when comparing to the figures posted here. My gpu ran at about 65C with CPU at 45C

Then i applied the following cooling mods

I added a fan ontop of the GPU heat pipe. That brought the GPU temp down to about 59C. After that I added the fan shroud partition and a piece of cardboard ontop of the GPU heatsing so consentrate the airflow. Now my temps are a follows:

CPU   41.1C
GPU   49.3C
ED     49.5C
MB     36C

Ambient: +-20C

Did not want to do the 12V fan mod coz of the noise, but the mods i did removed about 20C from GPU without increasing the noise

I find the same as you. My jasper is brand new 28/4/2009 and at start up the gpu is around 10C higher than the cpu then stabilising to 20C above the cpu after a while. Still stock at the moment but I want to look at firmware/software modding to keep it under control, like the xbox1.
It had nidec fans but I swapped them for some new deltas that I had set aside. Slight more noise but better imho.
Falcon with 9v mod runs cooler all round.

Wish I could find more info on editing xbr to permanently increase fan speeds or the monitoring of them. I am guessing this will come in time in homebrew. I used to play with sensors combined with a control circuit attached to the heatsinks to regulate the fans and this worked well. But now we have a direct source this can be the ultimate solution.
I am surprised by the varying results on temps but kipper2k,I agree with what you say about MS and they kept the fans slow to bring the noise down.
And also you're right that a small increase in voltage will give a relatively big increase in temp drop, especially on the gpu.

Haygar

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Antman1 @ Jan 20 2010, 04:39 AM) View Post

Like I would expect!
That app does nothing from what I've found and others have reported except for messing up your nand.

ert13

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jan 20 2010, 12:54 PM) View Post

I find the same as you. My jasper is brand new 28/4/2009 and at start up the gpu is around 10C higher than the cpu then stabilising to 20C above the cpu after a while. Still stock at the moment but I want to look at firmware/software modding to keep it under control, like the xbox1.
It had nidec fans but I swapped them for some new deltas that I had set aside. Slight more noise but better imho.

Wish I could find more info on editing xbr to permanently increase fan speeds or the monitoring of them. I am guessing this will come in time in homebrew. I used to play with sensors combined with a control circuit attached to the heatsinks to regulate the fans and this worked well. But now we have a direct source this can be the ultimate solution.
I am surprised by the varying results on temps but kipper2k,I agree with what you say about MS and they kept the fans slow to bring the noise down.
And also you're right that a small increase in voltage will give a relatively big increase in temp drop, especially on the gpu.

I am also interested in increasing the fanspeed through software. I'll do the rawconfig.bin edit but there is not enough info about this and success stories doing it are few.

Let me know if you found any info to perform this

I am also interested in increasing the fanspeed through software. I'll do the rawconfig.bin edit but there is not enough info about this and success stories doing it are few.

DARKFiB3R

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »

Glad to see everybody sticking to the formula  rolleyes.gif  tongue.gif

kipper2k

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(Haygar @ Jan 20 2010, 11:54 AM) View Post

The temp control circuit works good, I dont see any reason to do the 12v mod and have the fans howling constantly or cutting holes into the case and using more fans to try to cool it  down. I think anyone who has a cpu temp higher than the gpu is in serious poopoo. The cpu should always be cooler than the gpu. The gap between the cpu and the gpu on the release xenons would not be all that far apart but if your cpu temp is higher than the gpu then its time to take off the heatsink, clean, and re-apply arctic silver and xclamp if not already done so.  I could not see myself turning on a 360 if either my gpu or cpu hit 80 degrees.  the fans should be screaming at that temperature. A Fan speed control circuit in the 360 is i believe best as it is a gradual increase in speed directly proportional to the increase in temperature so you can get the required temp without running a jumbo jet in your room. You would decide the minimum speed/equivalent temp by controlling the idling speed without the need for going to extremes.

Xexmenu gives the ideal platform now to check all this stuff out....  

btw, people with talisman fans, how do these perform, i know they are quiet, but i'm from the old school of thinking that says if a fan is quiet then its not really cutting and moving the air, now with xexmenu we can actually confirm this
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13