xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Network Savvy People Help Me Out Here!  (Read 248 times)

ampedXR

• Recovered User
Network Savvy People Help Me Out Here!
« on: February 08, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

Hey guys,
Just a quick question for you techies.

Basically, my situation is that I ran out of wired ports on my wireless router so I have added an old 10/100 linksys router to it as a switch to add extra wired ports.

Now, this linksys router never worked with my xbox360, I guess it wasnt live supported but my new dlink dir 655 works on live great!

My question is...if I have the linksys just working as a switch for expansion ports (dhcp is off) and the dlink is doing all the work will my 360 work on LIVE? I dont want to get lots of lag or something if I am bouncing between routers.

Technically, I could leave the 360 in 1 of the 4 dlink ports but they are gigabit lan and I would rather use the gigabit lan ports for my NAS devices and gigabit pcs.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

It will be fine. The network ports on a wireless router are all switched, and the traffic will never go anywhere near the routing engine in the Linksys router. I use a Netgear DG834 to do roughly the same job, and the extra latency is < 1ms.

xbox360multiplayergames

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

The xbox only has a 100mbit network so it shouldn't make any different in that way. It may make pings a couple of ms slower but that is all, I doubt you will really notice it at all smile.gif