xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: The Thread for a *possible* new banning system  (Read 1212 times)

poiygon

• Archived User
The Thread for a *possible* new banning system
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (lordvader129 @ Nov 7 2004, 11:33 PM)
from what ive noticed the new system is to ban both eeprom and HD serial number when you connect with a hacked bios loaded

after this initial ban it is then possible to be banned with chip off, sicne your HD is also banned it will ban your new eeprom, thus far the only way to get banned for the first time is the same as it has always been, conencting to live with hacked bios laoded

It's beyond this. If you had read my post about my test, you'd know that changing the EEPROM and the HDD (non-stock) will still result in a ban. It seems as if MS is checking the HDD model #s (not serial #s as they will change even on stock HDDs) on banned gamertags, because the only way for a banned person to be perminently "unbanned" is by changing the EEPROM, HDD, and Gamertag (if they don't want to use a stock HDD).

I have great reason to believe that the new bans have to do with HDD model #s. MS has only used a handful of different HDD models inside the XBox. It would be easy to check the model # against a small database and ban the EEPROM of the XBox using a HDD that is not in the database. You could still get back on XBL for maybe a day or two by changing the EEPROM. However, if you don't change the HDD back to stock, you'll be banned again. The only way to have a larger HDD and use the XBox for XBL is to change your Gamertag. Of course, this is only for people that have been banned.

Now, here's the scary thought to those that haven't been banned. If MS were to change their scanning system from just the banned Gamertags to everyone, anyone with a HDD using a model # not in MS's database will be banned shortly after the security change is made. This will then force anyone who wants to play on XBL must be using a stock HDD. You can still mod the XBox, but you won't be able to upgrade the HDD. Many people will just buy another XBox just to play XBL or go back to the "old" method of backups and burn DVD-R.

Just to sum it up:

- Banned Gamertag must change Gamertag, EEPROM, and HDD to have an upgraded HDD and play on XBL.
- Never banned Gamertag maybe safe for HDD upgrades (for now at least)
- Banned Gamertag must use a stock HDD and new EEPROM if they want to keep their current Gamertag.
- MS could start banning everyone with a non-stock HDD if/when they choose to.

URPREY

• Archived User
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

sad.gif

Oh well.

URPREY

• Archived User
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

I forgot to mention that I've never been banned before with any console...

Mentok

• Archived User
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dr_Colossus @ Nov 9 2004, 01:57 AM)
I just talked to this guy on another, very much non technical gaming board, who says his Xbox was banned from Live. Thing is it is completely stock except for a new Thompson drive he installed a month ago. Anyone else heard of anyone else being banned for installing a replacement DVD drive? I was looking at some Samsung 616t drives on Ebay because my drive is dying, barely reads DVD+RWs anymore, and I sure as hell do not want to be banned for fixing something I bought.

Thats really messed up if they banned him for that.

As for me, I got banned 2x already.

FIrst time, I turn on my xb with xenium chip, it reset, then boot mx dash, then I log on live>BANNED.

I got a new eeprom and was able to get back on live, and also changed HD a few months later and to this day I've been fine.

But I just try to get on today with sfac(import, w-code disc) and got the banned message.

seems like M$ is really on the ball to ban people. Fucking bastards.

soul_reaver_sr

• Archived User
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

sad.gif . So since this guy was really kewl with me and I don't wanna risk not being able to play H2 tomorrow so I ordered a replacement laser for my XBL only Xbox

Dr_Colossus

• Archived User
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mentok @ Nov 9 2004, 02:06 AM)
Thats really messed up if they banned him for that.

As for me, I got banned 2x already.

FIrst time, I turn on my xb with xenium chip, it reset, then boot mx dash, then I log on live>BANNED.

I got a new eeprom and was able to get back on live, and also changed HD a few months later and to this day I've been fine.

But I just try to get on today with sfac(import, w-code disc) and got the banned message.

seems like M$ is really on the ball to ban people. Fucking bastards.

There might be some hope for him, he was on the line with tech support when I finished talking to him. I asked him to follow-up on it.

I wonder what sort of solution they'll give, they'll probably ask for the box to be sent in. What would be interesting is if they can override bannings, whitelisting his box so he's never banned for a modded box again, could be a loop hole for wouldbe live hackers.

Dr_Colossus

• Archived User
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (soul_reaver_sr @ Nov 9 2004, 02:16 AM)
I just talked to a XBL guy on how I was about to replace my dying Phillips drive with a new one and he did tell me they are ways around getting banned (epprom edit maybe?) from it doing so but would not go into detail but he did recomened I do a laser replacement if I was able to since XBL does check serial #'s of the installed equipment in the xbox and if there are anything not orginal it would = a ban sad.gif . So since this guy was really kewl with me and I don't wanna risk not being able to play H2 tomorrow so I ordered a replacement laser for my XBL only Xbox

That just plain stupid, you're trying to play an original game that you bought. I wonder what type hack is possible for those of us who want the best of both worlds, can't turn a Samsung serial into a Thompson serial just by hexediting a bios can you? I always thought they were hardware encoded.

StefanProdan

• Archived User
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

Well, I'm very upset today.  I got banned from XBL again, even though I put in a new hard drive and EEPROM.  I did copy all my files over from my original hard drive though, could that have done something?

Edit:  Whoops, I just read the post at the top.  I guess I'll have to return this hard drive and use my stock one.  Good thing I kept it!

winnieandbuzz

• Archived User
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

Well, I am not banned (yet).

I believe in the theory that people signing in to XBL with modchip and bigger HD already installed have no problems (yet).

I have a Xecuter 2.3b installed with 4983 BIOS. Harddrive is a Western Digital 160 GB model. On all partitions there a 'foreign' files. EvoX is launched from the C: partition.

I do NOT have French Halo2 saved games
I did NOT play Halo2 French leaked version
I do play Halo2 from harddrive and have saved games of the game on the HD
I build in my modchip and harddrive and AFTER installation I signed on to XBL
After signing on to XBL I never changed my hardware

TasteyMaggot

• Archived User
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

Hmm....

Well, I got banned yesterday, along with 1/2 the world apparently.  I have a 1.6 box, just got it modded two months ago (long after I signed up for Live) with a 120 gig HDD and cheap mod w/switch.   Everything was running great until I got banned (I agree with the intelligent ppl here... looks like it's because I changed HDD after I'd been into XBL).  So... here's my question.  If I get a new 1.6 EEPROM, is there anyway it will work?  Becuase it's from an xbox that comes with Live capability, has M$ already bound it's serial to a different HDD?  If not, could I put in just my 120 gig HDD and have it work?  Or would they check my GT (cuz I have 8 months left... I'm not buying a new one) and say "Hell no... wrong size?" If so, I can use my stock HDD, and then just swap the two whenever I want to go online or offline, until I can figure out how to get a switch set up for the HDDs.  Would that work?

Yea... so this just boils down to this... am I screwed or can I still fix it?

Syphon Filter

• Archived User
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »

So whats the score as of now?

I have an xbox with an xecuter 2 lite and a 120gig Maxtor. It has been on live with the 120gig in it. Never been banned before.

Am I safe to go online like this (with the chip off of course)?

Or is the only solution to go and get anew xbox and do an account recovery on my GT?

Syphon Filter

• Archived User
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

Right update guys.

This morning (around 8am GMT) I signed my xbox into live. This is with a modded xbox which has:

Xecuter 2 (turned off of course) and a 120gig maxtor which has standard MS files on the C:\ and the E:\. The F:\ is full of stuff but with the chip off that should be unreachable anyway. It signed in fine. So I turned the box off and left for work.

Just got home from work this minute (18.30 GMT). And have successfully signed back into Live. Make of it what you will. I will keep updating as time goes on.

EDIT:
This is without having played Halo 2 and I am in the UK (if that helps anyone)

Stevis50

• Archived User
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

I'm banned...
I have the Xenium Ice and a 1.5 box with a 200g Seagate HD.

I haven't been on Live since Ninja Gaiden came out (even left my wireless unplugged), and I did my chip and my hard drive about 2 weeks ago. Last night was the first time I connected since then, I booted throught the retail bios. They made me download the update and I was on for about 10 minutes then turned the console off.
Just tried to get on now, and I get the modified xbox error.
*shrugs* looks like I'm gonna have to get a virgin off ebay.

blueinfinity

• Archived User
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »

rotfl.gif

blueinfinity

• Archived User
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17