xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Question About Router For My Pc And Xbox/ps2  (Read 53 times)

Cannibalistic

• Archived User
A Question About Router For My Pc And Xbox/ps2
« on: September 06, 2003, 02:02:00 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I connect to the Internet via my ISP's Dynamic IP which of course requires authentication.

This works perfectly for my PC.

Now, I am trying to use connect my PS2 to the Internet, and the application that I am using (Action Replay MAX, a game enhancer that allows game saves/codes download) does NOT give me an option to authenticate (in its interface either you can only use DHCP, or Manual)

My questions:

1 - If I get a Router, and have my PC authenticate the ISP log on for me, can I use this connection session for my PS2 as well? (in other words, has the process of authentication already taken place for PS2?)

2 - How do I setup a Router, do I need to install special software for it?

Thanks in advance.

TonyTurboII

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 09:54:00 PM »

Its really dependent on your service.  Your kind of iffy on the way you describe it, but ill assume its a broadband DSL connection.  

A router will do the job of talking to your DSL modem instead of your computer.  So your router is doing the authenticating.  Your router will usually have a piece of firmware youll setup, that you access with your address bar, as if your going to a webpage.  Its usually http://192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1  Youll have to type in a username and password to access the router.  From there, it will be like filling out a form.  Youll put in your username and password, and the router will connect to your service.  Most of the time it will "keep it alive" but you can set it to connect on demand if your tight on security.

A router will have multiple ports, and will treat all of them as wide open DCHP connections.  Hook everthing up, and assuming you have enough TVs, you can use it all at once, depending on how forgiving your connection is.

MaximusBernie

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 07:43:00 AM »

biggrin.gif