xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fable  (Read 805 times)

metalhead212

• Archived User
Fable
« on: October 03, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »

Ok, first off before you read any further if you feel that this game is the greatest game ever made in the history of the world and will not be told otherwise LEAVE right now do not read any further. Hit the back button on your browser and go somewhere else. For the unbiased that are left please contine reading.

When first buying this game i, like many was hoping for a ground breaking game that would carry me until halo 2 is released. What i got was a somewhat ground breaking game, that in no way will make it till halo 2's release. Now don't get me wrong i really did enjoy this game, but i was hoping for SO MUCH MORE.

Story-

As many of you have heard already the story in this game is quite lacking. Now that doesn't not mean it is a bad story that just means it is missing certain aspects that make for a good story. My biggest gripe with the story of the game is that the gaps between the continuation of the tale are stupidly long. On top of that it feels that much of the story was cut out in a frantic "at the last minute" sort of hurry. Without giving away to much of the game the story jumps way to much. The player goes from being a child to going to the Guild to being a man end of story. This is a good skeleton for a story, something to build off of BUT in no way is this sufficent by itself. Another problem i felt with the story was there is little charecter building. As a player i was hoping to hear more about the charecters sister and mother and what happened to them after the huge raid (I thought it would have been awsome to get to play as them for a while, maybe play as them after the raid and see what happened to them, or something like that). If the story was longer I feel that this game would be damn near perfect, because with a longer story people play more which means they are going to get many of the lvl ups and intrest will be sustained. Unfortunetly because of the lack of depth in the story after the game is over players do not really want to play any more becuase there is no drive to see what happens next. After the game is over, what use is there in getting the rest of the lvl ups?

Sound-

What can i say about the sound? There is really nothing to complain about. I played the game on a total 5.1 surround sound system and i played the game on a mono T.V. both came out sounding flawless.

Visual-

The visuals in this game are AWSOME!  I really enjoyed the graphical aspect of this game. The way the spells looked, the way the charecters looked, the detail in this game, and the subtle tweeks all are brilliant. This is most definetly and eye candy lovers fantasy.

Now even with all its flaws this game is truely an excellent game with a lot of potential to be even greater. The one main thing that i do not like with the game is that your charecters power is so unevenly matched against every single enemy in the game. Durring the "epic" battle with jack i was barely lvl'd up at all and i still beat him without losing more thant 1/4th of my life. Now to most people that is satisfying, but to me I want a challenge. I along with many other RPG lovers want to be challenged with an end boss. On top of that my "ultimate" weapon should not just be given to me, and me be able to use it right off the bat. I should have to earn it, and become stronger before i can use it. Its like being able to use something like Knights of the Round right at the get-go of FF7.

The second thing i do not like about the game is the fact that once it's over, the player has little to no longing to continue lvl'ing up. Once your charecter gets past a certain point he has no trouble dealing with hordes of enemies. As of now i am running around in a pair of shorts with no other armor and i can take out anything in the game with ease. Where is the fun in that?

Now for the good stuff.
Like i said before the depth in this game is quite impressive. It could be better, but what we got is nice. The ability to choose between good and evil and to keep that balance is something new and inovative and for that it deserves huge ammounts of respect. Not only is the choice between the two great, but the consequences it has on the charecter are awsome as well. You want to be evil? Thats fine, but no one will like you. You want to be extremely scary? Cool, but everyone will run from you. The repercussions of your choices in this game are quite excellent.  My favorite part of the repercussion aspect of the game is that once you kill someone they are gone. Meaning you kill everyone in one of the fighting rings, they don't come back. Even if you go from ring to ring fighting for prizes or what not.

Overall i give this game somewhere between a 7.75 and an 8.25. Visually the game is a 10. Depth wise the game is a 10, but because of a lack-luster story and the brevity of the game the overall score suffers quite a bit. No doubt this game will be a platinum hit and it is quite deserveing of it, but i feel that this game can and could of been done better. If a fable 2 ever comes out hopefully everyone will earn from their mistakes and make for a perfect 10 game.

I would say this game is a buy for anyone interested in a quick pick up game, but if you don't want to spend the money on a game that packs kick-ass visuals and nothing more than that i would say rent it for sure, and go from there.

Now i have purposely held back a lot of my review, because i am interested in hearing what other people have to say. So please let me know how you feel about this game.  <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

I have to agree with you here.  The other review, despite the debate that brewed wintin the thread, gave it more credit than it's worth.  Does that mean it's a bad game?  hell no.  I think this game is good.... it had potential to be ground breaking and amazing but it's no where near that kind of hype.  <

gescom

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

I wouldn't say it's a horrible game but, it's certainly not the greatest.  It might have been great had they delivered the game I read about...  <

666weasel

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

If they were to do a sequel with similar gameplay but more story I would pay double for it!

All thing's considered I think it's a great game let down slightly by it's shortness....  <

geno2005

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 08:28:00 PM »

ive heard that the is in fact going to b a sequel to fable.its also gonna have the same idea as FFXI online did were u would go around and battle other ppl.  <

bho76

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »

I agree that it is a great game but kind of short in story. I have not even beaten the game yet and kind of lost the luster.  II did watch my friend finish it though and he was not far ahead of me..  I figured i could drag it out by going and taking ownership of the towns.  

I think with the games that rae being released today as rpg's Fable should have had a much larger map area for roaming kind of reminded me of dark cloud style.

Overal impressed  but could use more.  <

talkingwires

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

I thought it would have been awsome to get to play as them for a while, maybe play as them after the raid and see what happened to them, or something like that.

I have to take exception to that. When I play an RPG, I want to Play a Role. Popping into different characters defeats the idea of getting into a character's head. The story should play out from the viewpoint of your character.

That said, I did wonder what happened to them after the raid, as it wasn't explained at all. As were many plot points of the (incredibly thin) story.

Good review. I also expected much more from this game. Project Ego sounded cool, but Fable comes off as a Zelda clone. Oh well, there's always Morrowind...  <

browndanielusn

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 12:14:00 AM »

yea I think I will have to agree with you guys on this one.  Good game, but is not a great game like it shoud have been.  I played through it twice, good and bad...not to much different in terms of plot.  Groundbreaking-no, something different-yes  <

crossova

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (666weasel @ Oct 11 2004, 08:19 PM)
If they were to do a sequel with similar gameplay but more story I would pay double for it!

All thing's considered I think it's a great game let down slightly by it's shortness....

couldn't agree with you more. i finished it in less than 30 hours. a true RPG shoud be well over 40hrs.
A sequel would be good if it were a bit more indepth...  <

ernld

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 03:41:00 PM »

The main problem with this game was that peter monyleux (spelling??) and big blue box promised way more than they could deliver. I think if i hadnt heard all the hype beforehand i would have enjoyed it more.  <

Helios

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 09:13:00 PM »

Yea Fable was a good game. I liked it how you could not only choose what you want to level up with your stats but also your alignment, who you could marry, divorce, widow, kill people and they wouldnt come back etc. Game was WAY to short though... I mean REALLY short. It only took me like 12 hours or something.... I hope they bring out an even better Fable soon... I expected much more from the first on though  <

OTSS

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 08:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(crossova @ Oct 21 2004, 12:18 PM)
couldn't agree with you more. i finished it in less than 30 hours. a true RPG shoud be well over 40hrs.
A sequel would be good if it were a bit more indepth...

How can you even come close to playing for 30 hours... I sat down and played until I beat it and I thought it would be awhile but it took me one day and only 8hours in that day to finish every quest and get max renown and max experience and get every secret in the game...

Very short game... gameplay is awesome but I definetly want to see a sequel... I want it to be longer than 6 hours of gametime... the game had alot of cool features and potential but it was way too short and had alot of bugs(ie. digging through walls, digging loads up more NPC's, Hero save allows unlimited anything) and overall game was too short to master everything without continuing after the game <

metalhead212

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(OTSS @ Jan 26 2005, 03:31 AM)
How can you even come close to playing for 30 hours... I sat down and played until I beat it and I thought it would be awhile but it took me one day and only 8hours in that day to finish every quest and get max renown and max experience and get every secret in the game...

Very short game... gameplay is awesome but I definetly want to see a sequel... I want it to be longer than 6 hours of gametime... the game had alot of cool features and potential but it was way too short and had alot of bugs(ie. digging through walls, digging loads up more NPC's, Hero save allows unlimited anything) and overall game was too short to master everything without continuing after the game

OTSS, were you using a game guide, or did you play through on your own accord? Yes 30 hours seems WAY to long to have been invested in the game, but 8 hours seems WAY to short for someone to find everything without any help at all. <

DEVO1

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2005, 11:19:00 PM »

ok so I got this game free with my system....i thought are u kidding me.....this looks terrible.....it doesn't look like zelda.....well it wasn't but not to say it wasn't good. I actually really enjoyed this game and yes with a little deeper story this game would have been amazing. Still i give it great marks!!! <

jmaverick101

• Archived User
Fable
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »

i played morrowind quite a while back and now have come to expect quite a bit from rpgs.  final fantasy X probably has the best storyline ive played so far.  i played Fable from the recommendation of a friend that told me i wouldnt be disapppointed.  

im disappointed in that you can tell they left the game with so much possibilities and didnt finish on them.  great demo, maybe part 2 will the rest

also i just bought and modded my xbox, any tips for rpgs on the xbox.  other than star wars and its glitches ive yet to find anything worthy to call an rpg. <
Pages: [1] 2