xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soldier Of Fortune 2: Double Helix  (Read 406 times)

deathx88

• Archived User
Soldier Of Fortune 2: Double Helix
« on: August 19, 2004, 03:35:00 AM »

SOLDIER OF FORTUNE 2: DOUBLE HELIX
DEVELOPER: Gratuitous Games
PUBLISHER: activision
GENRE: first person shooter
PLATFORM: xbox, pc, mac

This game was a port from the pc version. IMO this game is an excellent FPS game that has ALOT of blood and gore. This game features single player mode, multiplayer, and even a a random level generator. The pc version though i thought was twice as good. The pc version had better graphics, better multiplayer, and the random level generator created alot more different and better levels

gameplay:
i thought the game was quite fun, its a pretty simple fps game, but the thing that i thought was cool was the blood and gore. It seemed that every part on an enemy were in segments rather than one enemy, so what im trying to say is you could shoot an enemy in the head and only a little part would come off instead of the whole head just popping off. Of course you would get full effects on your pc if you have a good video card and a good amount of memory. You play styles such as the typical run and gun play, just shooting everyone you see, and there are also stealth missions, and then theres the rescue missions

graphics:
the graphics for this game seemed to be outdated, although they were good enough to pass as for being on an xbox, they could have been better. The details on things was also a good effect to the game, as i said before the blood effect in the game was the biggest amazment to me, cutting someones arm off and taking you uzi and shooting them in the face until you saw there brain.

sound/music:
i really didn't like the music in this game, but the sound was good. The guns sounds were awesome, shooting your machine gun and having it puncture into someones body, and the explosions of you firing your grenade

story:
the story was some what interesting but i really didn't get into it that much, at the beginning it was one of those "your the only one that can do it" type of scenerios

controlls:
to me the controlls were average, it seemed to be just like all the other first person shooters i've played, but they were easy to control, and it didn't seem that to sensetive. The weapon select system was easy but i think i remember something about it that pissed me off, can't quite remember since its been awhile

fun factor:
the single player game was ok, it kind of went no where and i actually got kind of bored, i havn't played the multiplayer for the xbox but the multiplayer for the pc was great. The thing that i found the most fun and that seemed to really hit hard for the game was the random level generator. This is what i spent most of my time playing, since it was always something different everytime. The random level generator felt like i was playing a game of delta force since all the random levels were open areas and you would pick off everybody from a far distance. There were also differnet modes you got to select, assassination, demolition, infultration, and escape, so combination of those game modes with the current country your at and the options to play in day or night, have a time limit to make it challenging and also have the option to select your weapons at the beginning, made the random level generator the best feature of the game.

final statment:
i actually really liked this game, and if you like the fun first person shooters with lots of blood, then i recommend to check this game out

ratings
gameplay: 10/10
graphics: 8/10
sound: 9.5/10
music: 8/10
story: 8/10
controls 9/10
fun factor 10/10

overall 9/10  <

talkingwires

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

Um, your review seems more like a review for the PC version than the Xbox version. You spent most of your time playing the random levels on the PC version, but the Xbox version doesn't have random levels. You were bored during the single-player campaign. You didn't check out the Xbox multiplayer at all. So why do you give the gameplay a ten out of ten? Because you liked the blood and gore?  <

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (talkingwires @ Sep 2 2004, 01:04 AM)
Um, your review seems more like a review for the PC version than the Xbox version. You spent most of your time playing the random levels on the PC version, but the Xbox version doesn't have random levels. You were bored during the single-player campaign. You didn't check out the Xbox multiplayer at all. So why do you give the gameplay a ten out of ten? Because you liked the blood and gore?

you must have read wrong, the xbox version DOES have a random level generator

just not as good as the pc, but its still damn good

i don't have xbox live so i tried to base the multiplayer off of the pc, which i know is differnet but its the best i could have gotten to.

the blood and gore was nice but thats not what i was aiming for

the single player wasn't really boring, i was just trying to create effect to express on how cool the random level generator was

but on the gameplay i was also trying to rate on how the game played, features beyond what if it had mutliplayer and all that stuff
like if it was smooth playing, or wasn't glitchy or anything
if that makes sense

this was also one of my first reviews, i know its crapped up, i'll make my next review better  tongue.gif

lowki

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »

This game sucked balls.  Worst xbox fps i ever played.  Horrible graphics Horrible controls and horrible lighting.  The game was so linear and boring i got about 75% through and sold it.  It was also just as bad online.  Just thinking about this game gives me a bad tayste in my mouth.  I loved the first game on dreamcast but this one was better off not coming out at all .  Fuck crappy ports of old pc games.  I scoff this game in ever fasciet of its being. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

This post has been edited by lowki: Nov 1 2004, 07:16 PM <

deathx88

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (lowki @ Nov 1 2004, 07:08 PM)
This game sucked balls.  Worst xbox fps i ever played.  Horrible graphics Horrible controls and horrible lighting.  The game was so linear and boring i got about 75% through and sold it.  It was also just as bad online.  Just thinking about this game gives me a bad tayste in my mouth.  I loved the first game on dreamcast but this one was better off not coming out at all .  Fuck crappy ports of old pc games.  I scoff this game in ever fasciet of its being. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!!  <

esc1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »

Stay away from this title.  It would have been worth a look, if it was a split screen syslink game, but it is not.    <

Neil

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

pretty choppy and messy.
Stopped playing it pretty early on.
There are enough other FPS games out there to keep you occupied. <

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »

i personally think this game is a lot of fun on xbox live. plenty of maps, and its a game you just zone out on, me and a friend play it when we get sick of splinter cell.

honestly, i laugh and enjoy myself while playing this, unlike when i get annoyed at the 90% reject retard ratio on halo 2. <

sonicxtacy02

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

Definitely the worst FPS i've played, probably top 5 worse games i've played on the xbox.  Its down there with italian job. <