xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Galleon  (Read 275 times)

Strud1512

• Archived User
Galleon
« on: July 29, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »

I just finished this game (PAL version) and found it to be a mixed gaming experience, overall it's probably a 75% (from someone who likes the Tomb Raider type puzzle/adventure games).

This game was so long in production (7 years) that it is a wonder it ever got released at all. The 'simple' graphics is probably a reflection of this, however they suit the game and are still quite stunning at times.

The story is fairly interesting, and the fact that there are blue and red mushrooms (health), swords (increased attack strength), and treasures to collect make searching the large environments useful.

It takes a while to get a hang of the controls - you actually move the camera rather than the character directly. This can make delicate moves a little difficult.

The biggest problems I found were several bugs that at times required a reload of the last save point. On two occasions I found myself crawling under objects and getting stuck - there was no way to get out again - reload. On another level there is a swinging platform - to escape a group of pirates, I backtracked through a door. When I returned, the platform had frozen - reload. Towards the end of the game, I was sliding down a rockface which causes dust to be thrown up from the characters feet. However, after the slide had finished, the dust continued - it appeared that the shoes were continuously smoking. There was no need to reload, but it continued for the remainder of the game.

There is a bit of gameplay variety. The fighting has a number of types of hits, punches, throws and charges (although it gets a bit repetitive by the end).
During the game, you control a large robot in a fight against a 3-headed monster, you are shrunk to a few inches high, and collect items in a large floating castle.

Pros:
Large levels
Interesting puzzle elements (although nothing new)
Great voice acting
Original control method (either love it or hate it)

Cons:
Dated graphics (yet still effective)
Timed sections (annoying, though not difficult once correct path found)
Several bugs that can stop progression

I would recommend Galleon to any fan of the Tomb Raider type games and to anyone else who is willing to give a sligthly flawed yet ultimately enjoyable game a go.  <

Harlo

• Archived User
Galleon
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 12:54:00 AM »

I watched a few trailers for this game... didn't empress me at all...  <

SkmNet

• Archived User
Galleon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

actually i really like this game a lot!!

after i got used to the controls it is really fun to explore the huge islands!!

u can just run around on all the mountains! quite "freely"!!

but in the later levels, the game focusses to much on searching things.

but overall a VERY good game indeed!!!  <

Strud1512

• Archived User
Galleon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (Harlo @ Aug 7 2004, 07:46 AM)
I watched a few trailers for this game... didn't empress me at all...

Thanks for the in-depth review  wink.gif - I have a few book covers for you to judge too  laugh.gif

Yes, the graphics look dated - that is a given fact. The gameplay however soon makes you mostly forget that.