xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wwe Raw 2  (Read 140 times)

warrior_ffs

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« on: February 08, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »

I played this game and was quiet dissapointed.
I have been playing the SmackDown series on ps2 before I played raw. And I am more impressed with the smackdown games. I feel the xbox wrestling game needs an entire make over and the characters need to become more life like. B)   <

EvilWays

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

There's another glitch that wasn't mentioned...during a title match in which you are a participant in (not interference or manager), and if interference comes out before you get the win, the interfering wrestler ends up with the title. Had this happen to myself in a match with me vs. Rey Mysterio Jr and Crash Holly interfered. I got the win, but on the next event, Crash Holly was the champion. :grr:

Also, I'm disappointed that a separate move is required to throw someone off the Hell In A Cell instead of letting any old move do so (ala SmackDown).

The movelist is fairly deep, but I'm still disappointed by it. They don't even have Kevin Nash's Jackknife powerbomb on there (he uses a generic powerbomb). And there's no F-U for John Cena (had to give him the Death Valley Driver to get close to it). It's sad when Fire Pro Wrestling D for Dreamcast has a wide variety of moves AND has all the finishers for ALL the wrestlers (still love seeing Stan Hansen doing the Western Lariat (aka Clothesline From Hell) and criticalling someone (KO)).

Another thing missing, in general, is injuries. Fire Pro D has injuries of sorts in-match (submissions will injure arms, legs and neck) which carry over in tournaments and best of three falls matches. What would be unique is if a wrestler gets injured and has to stay out of action for a while (such as ACL tear, back injury, stingers, concussions, etc.), which could then be used for a feud system.

I'd be generous to give this 7 out of 10, only because it's a large improvement over the first Raw game.

Fire Pro D is, AFAIK, the first wrestling game to offer online play...though it was only thru a Japanese server (since it's a Japanese wrestling game). The idea for Raw to have online play would be a good idea. Have both system link and XBLive capabilities. For XBLive, use clans as stables and have feds where you could work multiple (indy wrestler) or have "exclusive" you that particular fed. Major feds would probably have to be limited to something like 60 wrestlers (excluding those under "developmental contracts" and those who'd work dark matches that don't get results displayed) and indy feds with 20-30 wrestlers. Could also have something like yearly interpromotional events and whatnot. There's a lot you could do with online play.  <

Dunny

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 08:22:00 AM »

I think 7/10 is being too generous.

A.I is bad
- Hell in a Cell, they just seem to keep running into the door trying to exit the cage.
- I played Season mode twice and got stuck in a pin loop, the computer pins you and you kick out but before you can get up he pins you again, I couldn't get out of this constant loop which happened twice so it wasn't a one-off fault.

and the clipping is terrible, I actually fell through the ring a few times!  

Smackdown series is much better, even the old Smackdown 1 on the PSone plays better.

3/10

This post has been edited by Dunny: Mar 10 2004, 04:31 PM <

EvilWays

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 12:59:00 AM »

Well, SmackDown actually falls back to New Japan Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden 3 and later for the ground work, WrestleMania X8 and XIX are both heavily modified from WCW World Tour/WCW/NWO Revenge/WrestleMania 2000/No Mercy...but Raw and Raw 2 have nothing as far as a basis to work with (at least nothing I recognised).  <

looop69

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

Yeah but the main difference between WrestleMania X8 and XIX and then both being heavily modified from WCW World Tour/WCW/NWO Revenge/WrestleMania 2000/No Mercy games, is that these games kicked major ass...and Raw and Raw 2 fall far, far from that...don't get me wrong THQ normally does a great job, but with the two Raw games they sucked hind tit... :D   <

Unregistered007

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (looop69 @ Mar 11 2004, 06:08 PM)
Yeah but the main difference between WrestleMania X8 and XIX and then both being heavily modified from WCW World Tour/WCW/NWO Revenge/WrestleMania 2000/No Mercy games, is that these games kicked major ass...and Raw and Raw 2 fall far, far from that...don't get me wrong THQ normally does a great job, but with the two Raw games they sucked hind tit... :D

Just for ur information, THQ only published the game.  <

EvilWays

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 11:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (looop69 @ Mar 11 2004, 07:08 PM)
Yeah but the main difference between WrestleMania X8 and XIX and then both being heavily modified from WCW World Tour/WCW/NWO Revenge/WrestleMania 2000/No Mercy games, is that these games kicked major ass...and Raw and Raw 2 fall far, far from that...don't get me wrong THQ normally does a great job, but with the two Raw games they sucked hind tit... :D

Like I said, Raw/Raw 2 had nothing to be based off of. I haven't played it but they should've based it off of Giant Gram 2000/Giant Gram 2 (All Japan Pro Wrestling...at least one of those two made it to the Dreamcast).  <

death_driver_911

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »

i noticed another bug. when you slam your opponent through the cell once and go back up he will not walk on the other pieces. you have to grapple him to get him on there. otherwise he will simply run past you or not even run.

my revie for this game is 7/10.

i would REALLY like to see some blood like in WWF additude (i luv that game) also they could have made some WAY better intros for created superstar. EX. crate The OLd Undertake and what entrance walk do you gaive him?
 <

mikebpi

• Archived User
Wwe Raw 2
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 09:23:00 PM »

Publisher: THQ
Developer: Anchor
Genre: Sports
Release Date: 09/15/2003

WWE Raw 2 is the sequel to one of the youngest, and most anticipated, games for the XBOX.  THQ created some of the highest-rated games of any genre for the previous generation’s systems, and unfortunately rushed through WWE Raw 1 to get a quick hold on the new market.  With time a much less crucial factor, unfortunately THQ still failed to live up to both the potential of this new system and expectations of long-time fans.

There are many new features that are well worth noting.  The enormous increase of match types was a great surprise to multiplayer fans.  Unfortunately most of these matches aren’t generated in season mode (which I will cover in detail later), and are also at times very buggy.  The create-a-wrestler mode is more in-depth than most RPG’s.  The huge attention to detail for everything from announced nicknames during introductions to personal characteristics practically creates a game within a game.  Warning, do not begin to create your own wrestler unless you have a few hours to spare, it is addicting.

The season mode is one new feature that deserves its own paragraph.  It was the most asked for new feature (except possibly XBOX-Live compatible), and unfortunately the biggest let-down.  After only a few weeks you have seen nearly every cut screen and inter-wrestler dynamic that the game offers.  The methods in which random matches are generated (specifically title matches) are nothing less than frustrating.  The complete lack of any dialogue during wrestler conflicts is beyond annoying (not even subtitles).  The season mode does allow for multiple players to participate, but this only marginally raises the fun-factor.  Finally, probably the worst bug in any game I have ever seen is the AI of interfering wrestlers.  It is near impossible to lose any big match since every one involved multiple run-ins (most of the time upwards of 4) that ALWAYS attack your opponent.  Your most predominant enemy, who may be completely neutral to your opponent, will never attack you.  The difficulty even on hard is already fairly trivial to THQ wrestling experts without this major flaw.

WWE Raw 2 was knocking on the door of being an XBOX classic, but a few inexcusable defects pushes this to the used counter at Gamestop a little too fast.  The career mode was the one feature that would give this game unbelievable replay value, and the one feature that kept this series from greatness, is also its worst aspect.

GRAPHICS (8/10)

Nothing spectacular for the XBOX, but still above and beyond anything else that exists on any other console.  Most of the character movements are very fluid, and some of the physics are surprisingly accurate (one wrestler performing a sweep kick will miss another wrestler performing a dropkick, unlike other versions).

SOUND (4/10)

One aspect that hasn’t been mentioned previously because I hold it in little regard to this genre, but is anyway poorly done.  One song is repeated consistently, and this game is in dire need of a system such as Madden and Tiger Woods PGA Tour which plays other random tracks during gameplay.  Even if they don’t have the best of songs, variety is much better than repetition.

GAMEPLAY (7/10)

The physics of the matches are impressive, but not a substantial step forward.  The difficulty of the matches is changed simply by how much health your opponent and how difficult he/she is to defeat rather than increasing the intelligence.  It is annoying, rather than difficult, to be required to commit over 6 finishing moves just for a win over a nobody opponent.

SUGGESTIONS

This would be a whole new game if it was XBOX-Live compatible.  The ability to create separate leagues with friends over the internet, compete for titles, run in on friends matches, all with a created wrestler with your own personality would be one of the best setups ever for an online game.  The season mode, obviously, needs serious work.  There needs to be enough variety in the matches, music, and even inter-wrestler drama to make it worth playing 10+ seasons.  Finally, AI improvements everywhere.  When I’m at the final match of a pay per view in a title match versus a top tier star on the hardest mode available, I want to feel like I EARNED something at the end if I win.