xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Star Wars Republic Commando  (Read 145 times)

metalhead212

• Archived User
Star Wars Republic Commando
« on: May 29, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »

Price: 49.99
Players: 1- Sigle 4+-multi
Rating- T (Teen)

I haven't done a review in a long time, so I figured I would pop my cherry again on a pretty decent game.

(IMG:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/055/reviews/914938_20050225_screen002.jpg)

This time around I am reviewing Star Wars Republic Commando. I really enjoyed this game the first time around, but I don't really see myself playing through it again. Not that it is a bad game, that is not the case, it is an awesome game. It is just one of those games that even with multiplayer doesn't have a lot of replay value, but we will get to this later on.

(IMG:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/055/reviews/914938_20050225_screen021.jpg)

Graphics:
The graphics of the game are not anywhere as good as Halo 2 or anything like that, but this game is incredibly detailed and very visually stunning. The main characters of the game are very detailed down to the point that you can even see battle blemishes in the armor as time goes on. The one big gripe about that graphics is that some of the enemy models are a little...bland, and some of the environments are REALLY bland. Luckily they go by pretty fast.

(IMG:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/055/reviews/914938_20050225_screen028.jpg)

Sound:
The sound in the game is pretty crisp. No real twang or static, that I could hear. The gun fire sounds awesome, and the sound effects are surprisingly good. When your squad is running in formation you can hear all of their footsteps and the echo they make through each room. The little things like this make for a good auditory environment.

(IMG:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/034/reviews/914938_20050204_screen002.jpg)

Game play:
As I said before I don't see myself playing through this game again, but it is not a bad game. It is just one of those games that really, once you have played through it the first time there is nothing that you haven't done or seen to motivate you to do a second run. The game can be played a couple of different ways but it is not that big of an aspect and very un-motivating. Aside from that this game is an awesome attempt at a squad based shooter for these first timers. From the get-go the player gets this complete feeling of teamwork and through the entire game that feeling last. Usually with games like these the A.I. teammates are off trying to clip through a wall while you are left to gun down everything in the room. This is not the case with commando. Your A.I. teammates ACTUALLY DO THEIR JOB. I know this is a strange concept with these kinds of games but it is true. On top of that, some of the time, your teammates will be saving your ass as they bring you back to life with the special paddles that everyone is equipped with. Now your team A.I. is on par, but I really can't say that for the enemy A.I. A usual encounter with any of the enemies in the game is them running straight to you either trying to clip through you or just gunning you down. Due to the way the controls are set up you will find yourself being gunned down before you can line up a clear shot at the guy because as you move back they move right in front of you just out of your line of vision. The more you walk back or to the side or whatever they more they follow you, right on your ass. Secondly the player is equipped with this awesome gun that can morph into a grenade launcher, a sniper riffle, and an automatic machine gun but you get such a limited amount of ammunition for it that you are usually using your hand gun. This wouldn't be so bad because it has unlimited ammunition, but it has a charge system so the more you use it the less damage it does and eventually it won't fire until you let it recharge. This really sucks when you are in a do or die firefight. On top of that more than half of the weapons in the game are really useless. There are one or two guns in the game that you will be sticking with for the whole game. The other guns are nice and have some flair, but they either do to little damage, or you can never find them. The one thing that I absolutely loved about this game was the way they gave each member of the squad a unique personality. And on top of that gave them each a different color schemed uniform without compromising that squad feel.

(IMG:http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914938_20040213_screen014.jpg)

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line if you like Star Wars games, and want to get a completely different perspective on the star wars universe, one that is not through the eyes of a Jedi than I would say get this game for sure. If you are a normal every day Joe I would say rent this one. This is an awesome game, but lack of replay value hinders my buy recommendation.

I give this a 7 out of 10. Awesome game, but the A.I. is annoying and the game needs a lot of polishing to be perfect. The squad A.I. is better than in Rainbow Six which helps make this game even more enjoyable.

Cryofax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »

This game has great graphics and sound, but the gameplay is absolutely brain-dead. The levels are all linear. Go to point A, shoot bad guys, go to point B, shoot more bad guys etc. And it doesn't even let you figure out the best way to use your squadmates. It shows little "ghosts" where your guys should be. You just click on them and your squadmates move to the spot and do what they need to. No thinking required whatsoever.

If you want a good squad-based combat game get Freedom Fighters, as Republic Commando is, sadly, an incredibly wasted opportunity. I guess they were afraid they'd alienate their "audience" if they made the game even the slightest bit cerebral.

Rent this one if you must. It's short, you can complete it in a weekend while napping. Don't waste money buying it. It might have been more fun if you could play through it in co-op mode, but its 1 player only in the campaign.

- Cryo

This post has been edited by Cryofax: May 31 2005, 10:00 PM

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 04:18:00 AM »

Graphics are good, sound is neat and the gameplay has some flaws. Also, the game in general feels a bit claustrophobic. There are a few good points in the game which have enough space, but the rest of the game feels like you are always pinned down between two walls.

Another point: the game is pretty linear. You go from point A to point C through tunnel B. This isn't very depressing with the first playthrough, but it doesn't add anything to the replayability.

My last short point: why, OH WHY no cooperative multiplayer (split-screen and system link)!? This game is perfect for it! The members of Delta Squad always move together from one relatively small area to another one. Coop with four players would be neat. The difficulty would have to be tweaked up, though.

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »

I enjoyed this one. I thought it was a nice twist and a very great use of some low ranked characters in the Star Wars universe. I would rent this if you are not a fan because it is rather short. I am not a huge fan of Star Wars but I would give this game a 8.8 out of 10

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 04:45:00 AM »

It was WAY too short for me to like it. The sounds were pretty cool and the graphics were standard but the levels were shit and bland. I liked it at the start for about 5 minutes and started growing bored of it straight away. I would give this 6 out of 10

monkey86

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »

when i first played it, i didnt like it. but i loaded it up again, and i never looked back. i agree with the fact that it puts a more gritty spin on the starwars story. as time progressed, i felt like the team became a family. and i wasnt prepared to leave a man behind! top stuff in my opinion.

but...but...not very much replay value...once uve finished it, u wont go back. could have been longer

Zorolord

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »

Good game it had potential to be even a better though. I can't understand for the life of me why you didn't have co-operative play or system link. It pretty poor how you were only on Geonosis, Clone Frigate and finally Kashyyyk. I agree with monkey86 you did feel like a family as I wouldn't leave my troops plus they acted as cannon fodder while you were getting attacked.

Rodiks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:06:00 PM »

i'm a big starwars fan throw anything from it and i'm going to catch it... but this game failed to stun me though... cooperative concept could lift this game up (maybe)... it plainly gave me a ride directly to boredom... blink.gif