xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ghost Recon 2  (Read 183 times)

total_ass

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« on: January 03, 2005, 08:25:00 AM »

Before i start to review i would like to add that i have never written a review before. I also have only a little bit of experience with the first ghost recon game, so i won't refer much to that. I also have not completed it yet, so i won't talk about the plot or what happens etc. I don't have Xbox Live, so i can't review the multiplayer, this applies only to single player.

Graphics - 8/10

This game has pretty good graphics, not the best seen on the xbox, but they do the job. The movements that the guy you play as are very detailed, and the animations have been constructed well.
The environments are average, not bad but not particularly great. I would like to point out that there are some framerate issues throughout the game, especially in the training, but these do not take away from the gameplay at all or cause any troubles when playing. The levels are very big with no loading times mid-way.
Weapons look good, as well as the enemies. I would also like to point out that there is no blood in this game, so if you are looking for goryness then you wont find any here. This doesn't bother me personally though.
It may just be my TV settings, but when playing it may sometimes be difficult to see some of the enemies, as they can be almost invisible when stood behind a bush, or if it is dark then you can't see them. Turning on night-vision can help in some cases but not all as then the screen may become too bright. Not bad though.
Overall pretty good.

Sound - 8/10

Not much to say about the sound in this game. The guns sound like guns, the bullets sound like bullets. Some good music playing while the game loads, which takes a while the first time as its storing stuff on the X, Y, Z cache drives.
Squad says things like 'good shot sir' if you shoot someone from a distance in the head etc. They respond to your commands over the radio.
They will cheer when they kill enemies and stuff, which is quite cool. Overall good

Controls 7/10

Controls are actually pretty good in this game. For the most part they handle well. You may find issueing commands a little difficult at first, but after a few goes you get used to them and become very quick and tactical with your movement. you can use the d-pad to switch your stance, which is an essential part of the gameplay, as well as use it to peek around corners. Changing weapon modes i couldn't work out at first, but i'm just plain stupid. Overall good and easy to control after a few minutes.

Gameplay 9/10

This is what th game excels at. You have to be very tactical with this, make use of your squad and use the most appropriate stance and weapon for the area you are in. For example running around will get you shot and you will die quickly, as in most of tom clancy's games. I personally am a big fan of this sort of gameplay, especially in the splinter cell and RS6 games. Standing up completely is also not a wise choice, as you will simply make yourself a larger target. Crouching or even going prone in large firefights is the wisest option.
You get to use a variety of weapons. These include mixtures of assualt rifles, sniper rifles, pistols, explosives, grenades etc. These are fun to experiment with and different weapons can change your tactics in the level.
The command system is good, and the AI responds well to it. They always do what you command them and can be a valuable asset to you.
The main thing that has changed from the previous Ghost Recon games is that you now control one specific character, which is the leader of the Ghosts. If you die then you lose, simple as that, you can't change character, or send another team in. I prefer it this way to be honest, its a much simpler system.
As stated earlier you can peek around corners, this allows you to minimise your presence to the enemy and get a good look at the area before running out.
I really like going prone in this game, as the character looks extremely cool when moving and rolling, as well as swapping weapons and all of that. It also minimises the likeliness of getting shot. You take only a few bullets until you are dead, same goes for your teammates. You can heal you teammates, though this makes you vulnerable when in the process of helping them, as it takes several seconds, the downside is (i dont think anyway) you can heal yourself or get a teammate to heal you. You may be able to and i just havent worked it out yet.
The third person changes the game a lot from the original, and in my opinion gives it a better feel. If you wish you can go back to using the first person view, without the view of the gun, though i have grown accustomed to seeing my character now.
Another thing that's different is the pace of the game. Before it would be slow paced, and you would every now and then take out an enemy, or at least your squad would, before you even saw them. Now, there are many more enemies, they are more obvious, you move much faster, more things are happening, and you play a bigger part in the game than before.

Overall - 9/10

This in my opinion is one of the best Tom Clancy games ever, i find it much better than the original, and it has a bigger fun factor. I strongly recommend people to buy it, especially those who like tactical shooters <

rgtaa

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

very good review!

I myself liked ghost recon 1 thunder island better because i could move into different people and if I was online against one person ... I had my team and he had his ... which I liked alot.  This game online is your squad is real people no AI.

This game seems to be rainbow 6 ... I hope they go back to the squad concept (moving into different people and AI backup online) in Ghost Recon 3 ...  because that is what made it different from rainbow 6.  

i didn't play this game on Live... just system Link ... but there were no AI squad backup in all the modes I tryed and I was checking different modes to find squad AI backup in system link.

I liked playing ghost recon 1 with one other person because of squad concept ... so that's what I'm commenting alot about missing that feature.

The Lone Wolf mode is pretty good raising the gun and useing camera to aim and shoot.

i like the recon mode too and it's pretty challanging... I like the fact you can save at anytime too.

I guess the guys that liked rainbow 6 would like ghost recon 2 ... but I'm sure I'm not alone in missing the ability to switch guys like in ghost recon 1 thunder island.

Graphics are better than ghost recon 1 thunder island.

P.S. Update:  If one of you guys can chime in and let me know if you can control a squad in System link (with everyone having their own squad) ... please let us know.  Then I would be a little happier about buying this game.

This post has been edited by rgtaa: Jan 3 2005, 10:10 PM <

total_ass

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »

thanks.

i don't know about system link.

i agree about it being similar to rainbow six. however the difference is rainbow is more indoor and ghost recon is more outdoor. rainbow six is slower paced as well.

but yes i can see where you are coming from, it plays very similar to rainbow six, but third person.

i need to get hold of the original GR, and Island Thunder. <

makaveli91

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 12:44:00 AM »

I like your review.  I agree with your 9 undoubtedly.  It's good to see that you didn't refer to the first games, as their gameplay is different than GR2.  Good Job! <

WBAGAM

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »

beerchug.gif cheers beerchug.gif

now go and have a beer
you could use a relaxing juice
LOL

total_ass

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 05:19:00 AM »

i did say at the start that i wouldn't refer to GR1 or GR:IT, but i did towards the end. lol

oh well.

i'm glad that you like my review though. it is a very fun game. <

DaLeroy

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »

Good review.  Anyone know if you can heal your team mates in system link? <

xSonarx

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 07:44:00 AM »

is this game worth paying for? ive had people tell me its crap and also that its good, but diff people see things diff.... <

total_ass

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »

well what other alternatives would there be? wink.gif

it is a good game dude and i recommend it.

JoeyJoeJo

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 10:06:00 AM »

It might just be me, but I have  problems with shooting enemies.  I used one of the sniper rifles and shot directly at the guy's chest about 5 - 10  times and he didn't die.  Then I had my M9 semi-auto out and missed to the right of another guy's hip but he grabbed his hip and fell over like he had been hit.  That gets annoying to me.  Otherwise it's really fun to play.  I think I'm going to apply the blood patch that was posted on here not to long ago.  That may help with my problem. <

K98

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

It's a pretty fun game with improved engine from the first. The bodies roll down hills and stuff like that. The problem with the sniper rifle not hitting the person is your not letting yourself take a good aim. remember your sniping not assaulting with an m16. I think they made it to do that so the sniper rifle has the advantage to do long range kills but not very good close range. The rifles can kill close to moderate ranges. It adds balance so you actually use the rifles. That instance does piss me off time to time as a guy might sneak in on me and I see him and just start spraying lead at him and he just shoots me down.

I like this games single player missions a lot better with the bigger maps, 3rd person, and different objectives. I like the more enemies it has. The co-op is usually what I play and it's fun to just kill guys on Hard.

I think the MGs are mostly stupid and useless. the SAW (squad automatic weapon) is the only good one. I've unlocked them all too.

Most prefered weapon would have to be the m4 scoped as it is best overall i think. It has full auto which helps when you're sniping a crowd you can just spray a whole mag into a few guys.

I like this game more than Halo 2 just because I like this type of game more over a first person arcade style shooter.

Nice review BTW <

c-2

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »

I would also like to point out that there is no blood in this game, so if you are looking for goryness then you wont find any here

oh yes their is :]  www.recon2mods.com

<

total_ass

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »

ok let me rephrase that

I would also like to point out that there is no blood in this game, so if you are looking for goryness then you wont find any here - by default

anyway the blood patch is homebrew so it is likely the blood won't be that realistic. it may just ruin the realism <

c-2

• Archived User
Ghost Recon 2
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

actually it is quite good .. the commands to show the blood are in the game engine they just didn't point them to anything ..
 <