xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Manhunt  (Read 157 times)

metalhead212

• Archived User
Manhunt
« on: August 17, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

Ok to open this up I want to make it clear that this game is for sure a rental or "It's priced so low I can't pass it up" buy.

Now that I got that in the open I would like to say that I liked this game. It is a very good example of a stealth action game focusing a little more on stealth and a little less on action. Fortunately for us (The Gamer) when we do hit those action scenes they are pretty damn cool.

Visually this game is pretty sweet. It's based on the GTA engine so if you want to get a mental picture of how it looks, think GTA beefed up a bit. The point of the game is to make you feel like you are part of a gritty underground snuff circle, and it does that quite nicely. The basis of the game, without giving away any spoilers, is run around and hunt your hunters. To help you along your way is a man who views your progress through a series of cameras, which is also how the player sees the character. It is very convincing to think that you are viewing the character through a camera because of the gritty snowy effects used to give it that old camcorder feel.

The sound quality and mechanics in this game are very nice. A lot of what the gameplay is based on is atmosphere. Your surroundings can either help or hinder your progress. Rocks, broken glass, trashcans, and gravel are all scattered around each area to help alert your pursuers to your location. If not walked softly upon they have the power to unleash all kinds of hell upon you.

The weapons in this game are far from  innovative but they are quite amusing. I really think this is the first game that allows the player to kill using only a plastic grocery bag. Unfortunately the combat at times can leave a little bit of a sour taste in your mouth. A lot of the times when you are fighting with the A.I. they can throw in a couple extra hits when they shouldn't be able to. Also if one happens to call another buddy over you might as well restart, because they WILL eat you alive unless you can manage to run from them and get into a safe hiding spot.

Now the reason why I say this game is for sure a rental and nothing else is because it is seriously repetitive. Sneak, hide, and kill make up about 95% of this game. Now being a stealth based action game one would think that that is all the game should focus on and needs, sadly it doesn't and that is where this game lacks. If you can manage to get through the at times, crappy combat and the fact that once the guards are alerted they can almost 100% of the time find you if you don't run far away you will find that it lacks something. Maybe more of a variety of weapons, maybe a little variation in the way you use your stealth? Bottom line, the game is good, it is entertaining for a little bit, and it gives you the opportunity to make use out of little blue plastic bags. I give this game an overall rating of 7.5 for its ingenuity, excellent atmosphere, and use of sound. Unfortunately the combat and the depth of the game need a little re-working.
 <

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »

Well, even if it is built on the same gfx engine I'd never tell a person that haven't plaied it to image "a beefed up GTA", the textures are in more contrast to each other then resemblens. So visually it's not possible to compare Manhunt with GTA. Did you play it, or just copy another review? Manhunt is visually more comparable to Max Payne than GTA. If I should compare it to anything I'd say this is the new and rawer version of good old Kingpin.

Its a enjoyable game, but the between the killings this game is all empty.

What sound effects are you so impressed by? In my opinion the sound in Manhunt is standard 3d action-sound. I'm using 5.1.

This post has been edited by DOS4GW: Sep 10 2004, 08:18 PM <

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »

yea, manhunt is way too repetitive... rockstar makes some fun games, just not this one  <

Barnolde

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (ILLusions0fGrander @ Sep 11 2004, 12:00 AM)
yea, manhunt is way too repetitive... rockstar makes some fun games, just not this one

I concur to a point, Manhunt is very repetitive and boring (such a disappointing and short ending, *yawn*), GTA is boring, and Red Dead Revolver looks quite boring as well. I think Rockstar is a pretty crappy dev.  <

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (Barnolde @ Sep 14 2004, 01:19 AM)
I concur to a point, Manhunt is very repetitive and boring (such a disappointing and short ending, *yawn*), GTA is boring, and Red Dead Revolver looks quite boring as well. I think Rockstar is a pretty crappy dev.

Well, if you think Read Dead looks boring, I think you should try it. It is actually one of the best Xbox games out there. That is what I think.

This post has been edited by DOS4GW: Sep 14 2004, 04:13 AM <

namek0

• Recovered User
Manhunt
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

Although I don't think Manhunt was the greatest game ever, it is worth a play if you have the time/$$$

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 5/10 (borderline 4)

I think it has next to no replay value, so it is mos def a rental  <

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (namek0 @ Sep 17 2004, 08:55 PM)
Although I don't think Manhunt was the greatest game ever, it is worth a play if you have the time/$$$

If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 5/10 (borderline 4)

I think it has next to no replay value, so it is mos def a rental

Can agree on the 5.

----------------------------------------
*edited*, don't talk about piracy.
-DUDERMAN

This post has been edited by DuDeR MaN: Sep 18 2004, 03:48 AM <

Sneaktip

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »

Red Dead was great, lots of fun.  I'd say Manhunt is slightly above average and that's being slightly generous.   :)   <

DOS4GW

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (DOS4GW @ Sep 17 2004, 11:34 PM)
Can agree on the 5.

*edited*, don't talk about piracy.
-DUDERMAN

DUDERMAN:

If you're not able to tell the difference between warez talk and figure of speech I think you should consider the moderator status. This is abuse of your "authority".

This post has been edited by DOS4GW: Sep 28 2004, 04:55 PM <

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
Manhunt
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

What you said was a violation of the rules.  I didn't ask to become the moderator, I was chosen by HSDemonz.  I just follow the rules that was given to me.

Don't make it seem that I'm on a power-high or anything like that.  The review forum has less tolerence than others because simply the admins want it to be strictly review based (not to mention that half the admins don't think this forum should even exist, so it's hanging by a thread).  No flaming or the thread gets locked (now I've made exceptions but ultimately some threads have been locked in this forum that may not have been in others.) No Piracy talk... at all.  The second you mention downloading/sharing/pirating any game, the thread will get locked, moved to the garbage bin, or edited.  Your post, even if you were joking or whatever, talked about downloading.  I edited it so discussion on the game review could continue.  

I'm not moderator of the year, thats for sure.  I'm just trying my best to keep this forum organized and on track.  If you truly have a problem with me or my way of running the forum, talk to an admin.  I am just doing the job that was given to me.

I see people shit on moderators all the time but you must understand that we have to follow rules like the rest of you.  Also we make life easier for you by taking the time to make pinned topics to help find other threads.  In this forum, I made the master review list.  In others, the moderators post a pinned topic that will point you to helpful threads and tutorials.  Do we get any praise for it, hell no.  But we do it anyway... why?  because it's called responsibility.  We were all given a job and we do it the best way we can.

Now I'm not one to go off like this but when someone says I'm abusing my "authority" when all I'm doing is what I'm told tends to piss me off a bit.  Now discussion about this ends here.  I'm serious about that, I don't even want to see you reply to this post.  If you wish to continue to talk to me, then pm me, or pm hsdemonz.  This goes for everyone, if you have a problem with me or the forum, pm me or an admin.

Your Welcome,
-DUDERMAN  <