xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Changing Umd Size Is Possible  (Read 154 times)

xbill

• Archived User
Changing Umd Size Is Possible
« on: September 18, 2004, 06:07:00 AM »

It is possible to add or remove text or data, even if it changes the umd file size, without crashing the game.

It's also possible to remove lots of extra stuff that is not used such as alternate language files (deu, esp, ita, fra)  Optimizations may also be possible; such as removing zero padding, and reducing Unicode files to plain ASCII.

There is a simple structure to the umd file.

Most of the data in the umd file are the resource files themselves.
There is an index with name, offset, and size of the resource files.  There is also a footer that contains the index offset and umd file size.  

To change the size and then manually adjust the entries in the index and footer is laborious and a time-consuming task.

I'm working on a program that extracts or bundles the resource files from the umd file and adjusts the offsets and file size.  Currently, the program extracts all the files of the RS3 xboxdynamic.umd.  I'm adding the capability to extract RS3 BA xboxdynamic.umd, and RS3 xboxfiles.umd.   Once that works, I'll work on the bundle process.

Here's a look at some structures of the umd file.

CODE

struct umdfooter
{
   DWORD   umd_type; // signature of a umd file
   DWORD   index_offset; // offset to the index table
   DWORD   filesize;// reported file size
   DWORD   version; // version of engine
   DWORD   gf_id; // game file identifier
};

struct indexentry
{
   BYTE   entrylen; // length of filename string
   char *   filename; // path and name of file
   DWORD   offset; // offset within the umdfile
   DWORD   filesize; // size of the resource file
   DWORD   zero_pad;
};

The RS3 (not BA) xboxdynamic.umd file contains 536 resource files.  The version that I have (US, NTSC) has a file size of 2,498,072 bytes.

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

and i wasnt the only one saying you could add text.good one df

Visor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 05:21:00 AM »

Good work xbill.  Maybe you can help Iron here on going prone.

Iron, good thing for you isn't it?  Now you have a way our of your inability to group words together and understand sentences.

Visor

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:06:00 PM »

xbill, with this project - would it be possible to add the new map settings into the UMD ?  might this open the door for M.A.P. and BA ?

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 03:03:00 PM »

visor im gonna one up you and stop being an asshole do the same!All M.A.P. ever did was test and write .ini/int files,anybody can do that,but what they didnt do was find out how to fix the problems with textures in some of the best pc maps.what i am talking about is the problem of when you would throu a grenade,blow up a remote charge or turn on thermals the level would crash and the game would revert back to the main menu,this was caused because either the burn mark that was left from an explosion or the brightness of the thermals is too much for the engine it cant handle it.i have many many maps that map never released(including a plantation of pot plants,this was my favorite),that had these problems but i never had access to the new unreal editor i had the old version.
       Anyways back to the topic of bringing maps to black arrow.the problem with loading pc maps with the black arrow engine is simply the ini not being written correctly,remember they have to incorporate the options of false for total conquest/retreival as well as the camping settings that go along with that.but once we learn how to successfully make the new ini's,then new maps will be available in rs3;ba.As for adding new modes of play to these maps or putting any other maps in the game and adding total conquest into it all i think it would entitle is putting the objects of the transmitters into the ported map with the help of unreal editor of course.

dietz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »

All M.A.P. ever did was test and write .ini/int files,anybody can do that,but what they didnt do was find out how to fix the problems with textures in some of the best pc maps.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Yes, there are maps that can be ported easily without any map changes.
But there were many maps being ported that needed a lot of work to make it right.
Missing Textures, missing Static Meshes, Crash fixes,...

You try playing Zen, Slaughter or Combat Zone without doing map changes...
And that's just a few of them that needed crash fix, etc.

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »

simple things that can be done with unreal editor its not as if you have to learn a whole language for that matter any to port maps.its not as if what map did was godlike work,anybody with minimal knowledge of unreal editor could have done that

dietz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »

simple things that can be done with unreal editor its not as if you have to learn a whole language for that matter any to port maps.its not as if what map did was godlike work,anybody with minimal knowledge of unreal editor could have done that

Did I tell otherwise?
You told M.A.P. did only test/write the ini and int files.
Well, why didn't most of the games 'released' by M.A.P. not run
without changing (a lot more) than that?
That's what I want to correct you on... You just don't know!!!

But anyway.
There are so many maps that CAN be ported, but I don't
have the time to check/test them all out...
Can you give me a link to that map you like so much ?
Maybe I can have a look at it...

This post has been edited by dietz: Sep 25 2004, 04:16 PM