xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Running The Xbox Os On A Pc  (Read 1039 times)

GameDTX

• Archived User
Running The Xbox Os On A Pc
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2004, 06:31:00 AM »

I dont feel like reading thru 3 pages of all these posts, but this is what i got to say:

Your a retard,
Why would you want the XBOX os on ur pc,
There is ZERO use for it,
Are you on drugs?

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2004, 08:25:00 AM »

its fucking jackasses like you that make people want to do this, go back to jerking off in your little corner.

oh and that xbox desktop sucks,, it looks nice thats about it.  oh well.
desktop x never was one of my favorite programs.

grug

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »

The amount of concentrated stupidity in this thread is astounding.

Windows would be faster as an OS if it didn't have "DHCP services in the background"? Hahah. Much like the Xbox which also doesn't have DHCP...oh wait...

The Xbox operating system is designed around similar NT-based kernels found in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The stability of the Xbox comes from the fact that its only available in one configuration and one configuration only. The performance comes from the fact that games are designed specficially for that configuration. You can take shortcuts and specific optimization processes when you know that theres a 700mhz CPU in there, when you know exactly how many registers are in the CPU, how much cache it has, how many pipelines your graphics card is...the fact that there are no external drivers because the OS knows it will only be talking to an specific Nvidia core.

Would it be possible in some kind of virtual machine or emulator to load Xbox apps? Sure. Could you run it natively on your PC with a standard BIOS? No, never. No way. Could you possibly do this without access to MS source code that you will never, ever get? No. Could you possibly do this via reverse engineering? No. Never.

Your suggestions of simply "writing drivers" or "including DLLs from Windows" made me laugh though. Almost everything in the Xbox OS is hard coded for the specific hardware that can be found in an Xbox. It doesn't load drivers, they're all embedded.

The odds of getting Windows XP running on your Xbox are much more likely than getting the Xbox OS running on your PC. And your odds of getting Windows XP running are slim, but are at least better. But don't hold your breath.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2004, 02:56:00 PM »

ph34r.gif

It may be possible to reverse engineer it but that would be insanely hard....

the Xbox DASHBOARD WILL PROBALLY NEVER RUN ON A REGULAR PC... the Xbox dashboard is for the (ta da) XBOX....  dry.gif

betaluva

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2004, 01:20:00 AM »

The amount of concentrated stupidity in this thread is astounding and most of it is coming from you,grug!   if dont want to help then make like the birds and flock off!

betaluva

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »

ATTN: scan c                                                                                            Windows 2000 Core OS
(Custom designed by MS)
- DirectX 8.0a (Drivers)
- Part 1 of the OS is on the hard disk < 1 MB
- Part 2 of the OS can be DVD disc < 500 K
- (Part 1 includes the core OS, DirectX, DVD playback, some drivers and 3D user interface)
- (Part 2 includes things like libraries, other drivers and other features needed by the developer)
- OS takes less then 3 MB in RAM
- The OS has a 3D user interface when no games are inserted to play music CDs, run DVD movies etc.
- The games run in ring 0, known as kernel mode which is the fastest mode possible.

oswald

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2004, 05:18:00 AM »

I've given this alot of thought, and I'm moving this thread.  When I first saw it posted, I didn't think it was relevant to this forum, but I couldn't really think of another forum it would be good for either.

After mulling it over for a bit, I've decided this topic would be better suited in the PC forum as this forum is for running Windows on the Xbox, not the other way around.  The PC forum is all about your PC, and this topic is about running the 'Xbox OS' on the PC.  I'm not debating the merits of the idea, I just think if we're talking about running something on the PC, it should be in the PC forum; The Windows on Xbox forum is just for, you guessed it, running Windows on the Xbox.

Topic Moved.

thehittmann

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

Get yourself a big HDD in your xbox, remove all the casing and stuff from your xbox, fix it into a PC case, get longer IDE cables and extend all others that you need to. Cut out and make a backplate for your xbox mobo connections.... You now have xbox, pc, hehehe

I guess you would have to relocate your power, eject, and controller ports as well...... It should be able to be done. I wouldnt mind seeing pictures of one, lol

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

That's been done already.

As for xbox OS on pc, I think there's too much custom hardware (MCPX included) for it to work.

XeroKitsune

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »

After reading this thread I would say this. I don't think the XBox will have a turn your pc to a XBox operating system but more of a emulator for the PC platform.

As has been stated before in the thread, it's because of the nature of the hardware and the way video game programers make thier games. If everything was simply using only the DirectX9  then it would be a step easier, but I would wager some of the better titles have written shortcuts to optimise the games to run quicker, at a better frame rate or with sound effects that they wanted to run smoother or sync better. So to make a XBox OS you would need to use the same hardware architectue or have a emuation layer that sits between the hardware and the XBox software to interpert the commands correcty for the PC's hardware. If you simply change the Dynamic Link Library for a PC's hardware to look the same as interface wise XBoxes software some of the more intresting codeing that the MS never designed it to run.

The problem with emulation is it requires a much faster processer to run than the orginal since it running the XBox software and the Simulation of the XBox hardware. Now if you add the overhead of a regular operating systems that bogges the process down further, but as processer continue to increase in speed and power it increases the likelyhood of a good emulation.

I am not trying to discurage anyone, but I doubt a fullyfunctional emulator will be out for a while. Also unlike the other hombrew software MS may take a intrest in persewing legal action if it's still marketing the orginal XBox system. (Sony vs Bleem! comes to mind- they won but could not afford the repeated lawsuits-)

XLNC

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »

I think the idea really good and I get why you want it on the PC but I had a different kind of OS system in mind. I had thought of something like this when I was playing some and I started to close some applications before I played Max Payne 2, what I done was gone into task manager close the programs like MSN messenger and other apps. When I was done I looked at the memory and there was only like 303MB of free Memory available, the rest was being wasted by windows and there was some processes which went up to 20% varying most of the time. I thought wouldn't it be good if there was another program that would load up with minmal apps just to play the games, everything would run so much better, then I thought of some OS to play games. I think that this should be implemented in Longhorn.

Btw what's DirectX 9 embedded, is this another OS or are u referring to Windows XP embedded. I know windows XP embedded is used in PC consoles which play PC games and connect to your TV and this seems to be the closest thing.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »

XLNC -

to answer you question about using some sort of an os that rus minimal appslications in the background.
well i have just the thing your looking for.

ok for those who ever used windows 95, like the OLD 95, it ran from a program called Program Manager, and thru time and with the advent of later rev's of 95 and then 98 people forgot all about program manager.

well boys and girls its still in windows XP

what it is is basically a window, within that window you can add links to your programs,
basically what it is is a replacement for windows Explorer the shell of windows.

to try it all you have to do is go to start --> run --> and type progman  

it will open with an empty window, then you go to file and new and start adding personal and common applications and shortcuts.

ok once you get it set with a few shortcuts or all the way the way you want hit ctrl-alt-del and end task on Explorer.
you will now see your wallpaper and all your icons and the taskbar and everything in it disappear and all your left with is Program Manager.

from there you launch everything.
the only bad thing is if you hit like WinKey-E which would normally bring up the Windows Explorer, the one that shows all the drives and files in it. (the window you see if you right click one of your hard drives or cdrom's and click browse) if you hit that kjey the Explorer starts up all over again, and your back to the resource using Explorer shell.
now a work around is, and i havent tested this but it should work.
is to go into Folder Options, and then go to View, and click the box for Launch folder windows in seperate process. that might make explorer not start back up but i doubt it, you would have to find another program to replace the way you explore and browse your hard drives, and there are plenty of those around.

once you have got program manager all set up simply click the link(s) for your games and stuff and thus the game will start with alot more resources free for the game.
on a side nore using program manager instead of Explorer does NOT cause your things like norton, or zonealarm or anything else to STOP working, they are still running and they will still start up when windows starts, you just no longer have them in the taskbar.

also alternately, and i dont recomend this until you are comfortable with Program manger,
you can tell windows to boot up directly to program manager just like the old windows 95 used to. so that way you no longer have to end task on explorer
windows will simply boot to the program manager screen and NOT explorer.

its a different way to run windows xp or even win2k,, but i used to do it, and its actually pretty damn nice. and works flawlessly.

trusk

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »

sorry for interrupting, but wouldn't it be more interesting to have a linux distribution (similar to the gentoo with ut2k3 and americas army) as a boot option (2nd partition) that ist a simple platform for windows pc games? a reduced os with networking functionality and direct x that could be used for gaming?
the main reason to keep windows on your pc are the games...

I do not have any clue of coding, but a 2nd linux partition to run windows-based pc games would be great. but I guess it is not possible right now, because windows still has to be emulated in a minimum way to have direct x running and this would reduce performance drastically.

greez trusk

Ethana2

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2006, 03:50:00 PM »

Alright, people.  Try to remember.  The only reason we care about XBOX OS is that corporations, not people are calling the shots of game production, and we're sick of it.  I for one refuse to buy dedicated hardware.  I have a host of wierd beliefs summing up to that if a corporation affects everyone, everyone should get one share automatically.  Basically, I want to be able to vote and control, as a consumer, what MS does.  Anyhow, here's my thought on XBOX OS.  It can be done, and I want it.  There are two possible immediate complications:  EDID check and hardware compatibility.

If they expected us to want this, then they might pull an intel-mac and check EDID, in which case we'd need to be able to flash our EDID on a nearly daily basis to decieve each mean company's product to run on our machine.  As for the hardware, let's start with the processor.  It's a regular i686 type CPU.  As long as you have one as good or better, there should be no problems there.  The GPU.  DirectX is an API, Application Programming Interface, and I do believe there is a standard DirectX back end.  Any fully compatible GPU should work just fine.  With these exeption:  PCIe, SATA  XBOX kernel cannot support PCIe.  It would have to either be or fake regular PCI.  As for the drives.... I don't know if the kernel has to worry about the entire SATA/ATA thing, but if you stay ATA, you should be fine.
We need to test a few things to determine how hard it would be to get want we want here: powerful hardware running all XBOX software, no crap.  To check EDID checks, copy an XBOX HDD, replace it, and does it still work?  If so, EDID probably won't be too much of an issue.  Next, move the HDD to another PC.  Can it find an OS to boot?  If not, the OS is embedded in the BIOS part of the mainboard, in which case life gets hard.  One would then have to extract the code onto a primary partition of a HDD, and I don't know what you'd use to do that, but yeah...  as for registers and CPU optimisation:  If you do this on an x86-64 Athlon overclocked to whatever, It won't be able to use all of the greatness of the CPU, but there's no way it'll want any register addresses that aren't there (OEM hardware companies don't like redesigning and altering components for certain commercial applications)  It's not like that CPU is mutant and has an extra register or anthing.  MS didn't do any huge PC architectural changes until they got to the 360.  The XBOX is actually quite normal in just about every way.  So, if someone here would please void their warranty for the team, and find out exactly how easy this will be, and maybe even create an XBOX OS installer and such....  I want it, and people WOULD pay money for it....  As long as you don't advertize it online, M$ probably wouldn't come after you: they aren't depending on the first XBOX for money anymore.

If you don't grasp the reason for wanting to do this, please just leave us alone.  And if you didn't go through the entire thread like I did, or don't know exactly what you're talking about, please refrain from posting or use a dsiclaimer, and leave us to our tech-nerd rebellious endeavors.  Feel free to email me on the topic, especially with the results of my testing plan.  To help explain my post, my dad is an anti-gamer.  A console in this house wouldn't fly, and I also discriminate agains consoles, and I'm a tech nerd who wants a four-OS system. (XP, FC Linux, MS DOS*, XBOX  OS) I know it can be done without finding sourse or reverse engineering anything.  And perhaps, PCIe is backwards compatible; I think I recall something like that, but maybe not.

*Don't ask.
Eman out.  I enabled receiveing email from you guys when I registered.  Please contact me with any new developments.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

This thread has been dead for 2 years.  Leave it be.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4