xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Halo Maps Editing Program  (Read 375 times)

dmauro

• Archived User
Halo Maps Editing Program
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

I tried searching for "digital" in cache000.map, but nothing came up?  This is just with a hex editor it should find this?

jsm

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »

Did you try Digital with a capital D ?

Mike117

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »

Hey guys, i found out which proggy Halo is made with. And I tried using it to open the map files and they wouldn't budge. If we ever wanted to do anything with the .map files, we would need to first decompress it, rip it apart into its components (individual maps, model settings, etc.) and then edit those, put them back together, compress and try halo then. After knowing all this, i think it to be pretty hard to do anything with halo...

Oh yeah, Halo was made using 3ds max.

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2003, 02:26:00 AM »

Hacking this game apart will be great! When the ripper is made i reckon the tree will look like this:

/ui.map/
/ui.map/text/
/ui.map/text/leveltext.txt
/ui.map/text/difficultytext.txt
/ui.map/text/randomname.txt
/ui.map/text/randomname.ini
/ui.map/text/mainmenu.txt
/ui.map/text/credits.txt
/ui.map/config/menucamera.cfg
/ui.map/config/menuhighlight.cfg
/ui.map/config/menuaudio.cfg
/ui.map/3D/ring.3DS
/ui.map/3D/ring.tex
/ui.map/3D/planet1.3DS
/ui.map/3D/planet1.tex
/ui.map/3D/planet2.3DS
/ui.map/3D/planet2.tex
/ui.map/images/menuitems.tga
/ui.map/images/singleplayeritems.tga
/ui.map/images/multiplayeritems.tga
/ui.map/images/icons.tga
/ui.map/images/icons.cfg
/ui.map/images/highlights.tga
/ui.map/xbox/xcontrols.cfg
/ui.map/xbox/pccontols.cfg
/ui.map/xbox/errorcntrl.dll
/ui.map/xbox/syslink.dll
/ui.map/xbox/audio.dll
/ui.map/audio/bg.wmx
/ui.map/audio/select.wav
/ui.map/audio/play.wav

somthing like that!  rolleyes.gif

Mike117

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (anthmoo @ Jul 18 2003, 11:26 AM)

Hacking this game apart will be great! When the ripper is made i reckon the tree will look like this:

/ui.map/
/ui.map/text/
/ui.map/text/leveltext.txt
/ui.map/text/difficultytext.txt
/ui.map/text/randomname.txt
/ui.map/text/randomname.ini
/ui.map/text/mainmenu.txt
/ui.map/text/credits.txt
/ui.map/config/menucamera.cfg
/ui.map/config/menuhighlight.cfg
/ui.map/config/menuaudio.cfg
/ui.map/3D/ring.3DS
/ui.map/3D/ring.tex
/ui.map/3D/planet1.3DS
/ui.map/3D/planet1.tex
/ui.map/3D/planet2.3DS
/ui.map/3D/planet2.tex
/ui.map/images/menuitems.tga
/ui.map/images/singleplayeritems.tga
/ui.map/images/multiplayeritems.tga
/ui.map/images/icons.tga
/ui.map/images/icons.cfg
/ui.map/images/highlights.tga
/ui.map/xbox/xcontrols.cfg
/ui.map/xbox/pccontols.cfg
/ui.map/xbox/errorcntrl.dll
/ui.map/xbox/syslink.dll
/ui.map/xbox/audio.dll
/ui.map/audio/bg.wmx
/ui.map/audio/select.wav
/ui.map/audio/play.wav

somthing like that!  rolleyes.gif

hey wait a second dude, where did you get all of those file names from?

Comcipher

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2003, 07:02:00 AM »

smile.gif

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2003, 08:25:00 AM »

hey wait a second dude, where did you get all of those file names from?

nowhere, just made them up.  wink.gif

Ok, now while browsing through here, I clicked the link for the halo hacker msn group and I noticed this. When did this program come out? And where did the find the images (a tree from 343 guilty spark is shown ). I'm just wondering if we can find the pics of the flamethrower on the disc somewhere. In the hex code it looks like it's referencing bitmaps and other models of the flamethrower.....

DUDE! THATS MY IMAGE THAT I POSTED! Old forums trying to creep up on me again...oh well. Like the pic? The program came out long ago, I'd give it to you but I lost it....does anyone know where I can get it?

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2003, 06:23:00 PM »

Yeah, that was known a long time ago. I don't think they would've used anything else. However, those .map files are unbelivably well packed. Some day there'll be a texture unpacker. If they have a offset viewer already, it shows were clsoe enough.

**Some things I thought were interesting.**
I saw plenty of links to internet sites in the map files.
DirectX
dBase 5.0
Win95
Excel
IMAPI - Burner Driver
Misc Drivers and programs
Has support for Keyboards and Mice (Logitech)

I'm trying to see what kind of program they used to extract, and pack these stored files.
Also, for my personal entertainment, I think I found a way to NetBios Tcp into the xbox while Halo is sitting in System link (wait) mode. No confirmation on that, but it could be another flaw. It seems that alot of the code is extremely old. dBase 5.0 was released in 1995 and was used on win95. Strangely enough, this game was supposed to be released along time ago. So, Ill check into it.

UPDATE

Ok, I've looked through alot of the UI cache files, and I found that a guy named Christian's computer who probably compiled the maps, had a whole bunch of stuff on his pc, with cracks and shit, It's hilarious. Take a look. Also, I found that the maps may be using IEXPRESS compression, but I dont know that either.

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2003, 01:21:00 AM »

yo VideoGameBuyer14! great work man, ill get looking for IEXPRESS compression on the net right away. Thanx for ur help man. Maybe we could find a program and decompress it?

anthmoo

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2003, 02:42:00 AM »

yeah man, i think it is compressed with IEXPRESS. I couldn't decompress the files tho. But i found out somethin else. The cache002.map (cached ui.map [PAL]) is 35.0MB and when I compressed it with IEXPRESS I got it down to 12.6MB. The real ui.map (found on the game disc) is 13.4 MB and when compared in WinHex the files are completely different but this may be due to the fact that the IEXPRESSed file is an EXE. The reason that the real ui.map is bigger is because bungie like the stick a load of rubbish on the end to round the file size off.

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2003, 05:50:00 AM »

It's a windows based packer. It allows you to take files, and give them instructions for unpacking or packing. If you take a looky at UI's cached files, you'll see the code is extremely messy. Im assuming all of the characters and unreadable stuff are textures, wireframes (.3ds, .x), sound clips, and animations. I've even seen some of the controls for weapons, and controls for input. Let's say for instance, if you're in the warthog, and you click in the right thumbstick, nothing should happen. If we get a map packer, we can have the back gunner seat be empty, and still have it fire at AI. There are built in debug codes for Halo as well such as AI_Braindead // Renders AI Braindead, and other methods that they used to test. I think in the end, they liked the game so much, that they just removed the linkage to the codes. I've seen some massive handling codes, strange things like Keyboards, and mice. But, If you happened to catch the crappy show on The Discovery Channel a couple weeks back, you'd see the version that Halo was really suppsoed to be. So, thus explaining all the old references, and the handling for dBase and Win95, because most likely tons of the "Original" coding was done in Win95. UI, provides a lot of code. I sat at my pc till my eyes went bloodshot. And of course, I was originally right, that the flamethrower's code is still intact. I've seen traces of it in some areas. If only we had that map editor though....

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2003, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mike117 @ Jul 19 2003, 03:38 PM)
Hey dude, nice work! I didn't see the show on the Discovery Channel...  uhh.gif . Although, how do you get all this stuff and how did you get to seeing all this stuff in the code and such? I tried using my hex editor and it's all sloppy, so what else did you do to see it?

Nice work looking at decompressors. Although, I think that the best way to get a decompressor/compressor is by actually examining the halo xbe, but i bet halo hacker is doing that as is. I want to look into the compression as well. Lets hope we eventually find something that works.

I think there was a decompressor, but I'd like to see a decompressor that can grab the files from the cache. That would be great. I myself, I want to mess with the meshes and light filters and perhaps even add some of my own models in there.

**Alright, folks. Here is a 704 KB tidbit of the cache000.map file. It is long, and full of lots of bullshit. Obviously, they didnt really clean up the code.

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2003, 03:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mike117 @ Jul 19 2003, 09:32 PM)
Hey dude, did you just take what you got out of the hex editor and put it there, or did you just open up the map file with a text editor?

BTW, what i find really interesting is that their are references to paths that could only be found on a windows machine, like...   C :  W I N D O W S  P C H E A L T H  H E L P C T R  B i n a r i e s  h e l p s v c . e x e  and  C :  W I N D O W S  S y s t e m 3 2  m m c s h e x t . d l l

Pretty interesting, but might have come from the computer it was compiled on.

I got it from WinHex, full. Thats probably the case with this situation. I don't have any idea why it'd be in compiled code, but maybe it was on purpose.

whoknew

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2003, 06:32:00 PM »

sad.gif

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (ZechsGX @ Jul 20 2003, 12:46 AM)
Ok, first of all, that isn't a cache000.map file (I checked myself, many times).
Second of all, last I checked, XBOX SDK PC's didn't come with "N o r t o n   A n t i V i r u s   A u t o   P r o t e c t   S e r v i c e" or "Windows Product Activation" (they run on a modified Windows 2000, and last I checked, the only version of Windows I know of that has product activation is the XP line).
So the only thing that is full of bullshit is your "cache000.txt" file.

Who the fuck are you? Don't quit the day job yet noobie. Let the pros stick to the work. Anyways, for those of you that are actaully interested in the code, I didn't bother to make a fake txt file. Trust me, its way too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4