xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Exhaust/tailpipe Repair  (Read 278 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« on: December 09, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

Sorry about the lame description. Ok. I bought an exhaust repair kit...well, 3 of them actually, since the tape is only 24 inches in each kit. Anyway, the kits (bought from Auto Zone) worked decently, but not how I wanted. Does anyone know of any heavy duty aluminum tape that can be used to patch a tailpipe and/or exhaust? I am going to eventually replace the entire pipe, but with the holidays around I can't spend that much. By the way, I fixed my problem in the other thread, it was just the heat shield, I ripped off the top half, which was just rattling around wedged under my car.

Arius

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »

Baked Bean can (or something like it)

Exhaust paste (a lot of it)

and something to connect it.

Paint the Hole in paste.
Cut the can to size and wrap it around.

Use the grips to hold it in place.

Cant for the life of me remember the name of the grip things.

In a circle, used in engines also to hold pipes on older cars, you do them up / losen them with a screwdriver.

brandogg

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

I'm too lazy for all of that. Isn't there just a place where you can buy the tape included in the repair kit by itself? Perhaps a thicker tape (this shit is paper thin and tears easily)? Thanks for the advice though.

fishlord

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »

too lazy to cut a can in half and wrap it around the pipe (you dont even need the paste)?  oh and i think that the clamps you are refering to would be exaust clamps (they are like a mini u-bolt)

brandogg

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 12:36:00 PM »

If you saw my exhaust pipe you'd understand more. I'm getting my whole system replaced next week, gonna cost about $250, probably less.

fishlord

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:00 PM »

then why bother with doing anything untill you get it replaced?

brandogg

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »

Well I was going to wait a couple months, which is why I was going for the quick fix. I'm trying to go the non-ghetto route.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

If you just need a temp fix my 2 thoughts are wrap the hole in metal from a can or even  some sort of flexible metal you can get at Home Depot and then use 2 hose clamps to secure it for now. (I think they even make kits like this, but I can't remember much about them.)

Or if you wanna get a bit more energetic, lop out the piece with the hole using a grinder or sawz all and get a pipe and adapters to attach all the pipes.

Frankly I'd probably just ignore it until you fix it. I've driven round with no exhaust after the headers for months before with no real issues outside of it being loud. If thats too much of a annoyance go the first route. It's ghetto, but it's a cheap fix.

havocaose

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (Arius @ Dec 9 2004, 12:05 PM)
Baked Bean can (or something like it)

Exhaust paste (a lot of it)

and something to connect it.

Paint the Hole in paste.
Cut the can to size and wrap it around.

Use the grips to hold it in place.

Cant for the life of me remember the name of the grip things.

In a circle, used in engines also to hold pipes on older cars, you do them up / losen them with a screwdriver.

lol hose clamps???

brandogg

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

Just got new exhaust installed yesterday (all the way from the cat converter). You should have seen how rusted my pipe was. My new muffler is pretty cool, it has 3 setups - "full race" (loudest), then half-way silenced, and "completely" silenced, which is still pretty loud. It actually has a very low-toned roar to it, which made me happy. I hate all the high-pitched mufflers I always hear on Hondas.

fishlord

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 12:01:00 AM »

QUOTE (havocaose @ Dec 15 2004, 02:24 AM)
lol hose clamps???

as stated before... probably meant exhaust clamps.

Ripasser

• Archived User
Exhaust/tailpipe Repair
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

Since it is christmas and all... buy yourself a new exhaust and say it was from me. Merry Christmas