xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Questions About Compiling  (Read 322 times)

althena

• Archived User
Questions About Compiling
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »

Hello!

I asked here before something about compiling and maybe translating some XPort emulators, but before the DOSXbox thread gets too much off topic I thought I better start a new thread about this now.

I managed to compile a few projects until now at least but still run into a few problems sometimes and have some other further questions.

The most important thing would be now how to translate the projects exactly. I would like to translate as much as possible, such as the menus, the help section and the pop up windows. Where in the source code can I find the lines where I can do so? And can this be done simply by translating some words and sentences or would actually some coding be necessary (what I don't know a lot about)?

I managed to compile for example Snes9Xbox and Neogenesis and tested them successfully, but when I try to compile MednafenX I never can find the XBE file in one of the release folders, no matter what I compile (release_lynx, release_pce or release_nes). Where are the XBE files saved or how can I create them when I compile MednefenX?

Finally I always get this error messages when compiling MekaX, do I have to install some additional software, change settings in VS .NET or is there maybe something wrong in the sources?

Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Assembling c:\Documents and Settings\althena77\My Documents\Xbox Sources\video\mekax\src\srcs\videoasm.asm"
Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
$(NASM)

I have a full installation of Visual Studios 2003 running with XDK 5849.

Thanks and greetings!

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(althena @ Nov 28 2007, 11:38 AM) *

Where in the source code can I find the lines where I can do so? And can this be done simply by translating some words and sentences or would actually some coding be necessary (what I don't know a lot about)?

Most text is stored in commonfuncs.cpp (in the common directory).  The rest can be found in the primary project file (it's in the root of the project directory and is usually called something like PROJECTNAME.cpp (eg mekax.cpp).  

I managed to compile for example Snes9Xbox and Neogenesis and tested them successfully, but when I try to compile MednafenX I never can find the XBE file in one of the release folders, no matter what I compile (release_lynx, release_pce or release_nes). Where are the XBE files saved or how can I create them when I compile MednefenX?

The XBEs (for release mode) are in the release directory.  They are called mednafenx_pce.xbe, mednafenx_nes.xbe, and mednafenx_lynx.xbe.

Or you could open a DOS Shell (command prompt), "cd" to the project directory and do a "dir /s *.xbe"

Finally I always get this error messages when compiling MekaX, do I have to install some additional software, change settings in VS .NET or is there maybe something wrong in the sources?
I have a full installation of Visual Studios 2003 running with XDK 5849.

You need the NASM package for windows:

http://www.asmcommunity.net/projects/nasmx/

Install it, then set up the $NASM environment variable to point to the NASM executable.

althena

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(XPort @ Nov 29 2007, 02:43 PM) *

Most text is stored in commonfuncs.cpp (in the common directory).  The rest can be found in the primary project file (it's in the root of the project directory and is usually called something like PROJECTNAME.cpp (eg mekax.cpp).

Alright, thanks for these information, I found many menu entries already and the translation worked so far, I tested it in NeoGenesis and the emulator still works and with the fonts from the default skin also German characters (here Ä and Ü) are displayed correctly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4826/neogenesisde1ou0.jpg)

I just couldn't find so far a line where I could translate the text for "Main Menu" next to the name of the emulator, where can I do that?

The XBEs (for release mode) are in the release directory.  They are called mednafenx_pce.xbe, mednafenx_nes.xbe, and mednafenx_lynx.xbe.

Or you could open a DOS Shell (command prompt), "cd" to the project directory and do a "dir /s *.xbe"

Sorry, I didn't look closely emough in the output window and it seems that when compiling MednafenX there is also something missing on my computer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
When I select "Rebuild Solution" the computer is busy for about almost 1 minute but then the process stops with another error message:

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'libcdio.lib'

I searched for the libcdio library and found its official website, however there I could find no Windows binaries. How can I use it in VS .NET under Windows XP?

Install it, then set up the $NASM environment variable to point to the NASM executable.

Thanks, I downloaded and installed Avidemux 2.4, it also offered some kind of link during the installation for the Xbox SDK. However I am now not sure, where to set the variable to point to the NASM executable, where do I change that setting, I couldn't find it until now in VS .NET.

Sorry to bother you with so many questions again but I am really very eager to learn now more about this and get it done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »

Is there any tutorial or msg somewhere that goes over setting up the SDK environment for compiling?  I picked up something called easy_sdk but it looks like the included instructions are in another language.  I was gonna set up one of my pc's for this and give it a shot.

I've compiled in linux before so I'm not completely N00b, but I'm close enough.  But if I can get this stuff to compile then I should be able to make a few minor changes.

Thanks.

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(althena @ Nov 30 2007, 03:35 AM) *

I just couldn't find so far a line where I could translate the text for "Main Menu" next to the name of the emulator, where can I do that

As I stated in the previous post, 99% of all text is in either the commonfuncs.cpp file or the main project CPP file.

Sorry, I didn't look closely emough in the output window and it seems that when compiling MednafenX there is also something missing on my computer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
When I select "Rebuild Solution" the computer is busy for about almost 1 minute but then the process stops with another error message:
I searched for the libcdio library and found its official website, however there I could find no Windows binaries. How can I use it in VS .NET under Windows XP?

There is a "libcdio" folder inside the "src" folder.  There is a project/solution in there.  Rebuild that in release mode.

Thanks, I downloaded and installed Avidemux 2.4, it also offered some kind of link during the installation for the Xbox SDK. However I am now not sure, where to set the variable to point to the NASM executable, where do I change that setting, I couldn't find it until now in VS .NET.

I specified NASMX, not avidemux.  As for setting environment variables,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=s...G=Google+Search

Sorry to bother you with so many questions again but I am really very eager to learn now more about this and get it done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You should really put more effort into locating the answers to these questions yourself.  Your question about the "main menu" text makes it seem like you're being lazy.  

QUOTE(madmab @ Nov 30 2007, 08:36 AM) *

Is there any tutorial or msg somewhere that goes over setting up the SDK environment for compiling?  I picked up something called easy_sdk but it looks like the included instructions are in another language.  I was gonna set up one of my pc's for this and give it a shot.

You need to install visual studio .NET and then you need to install the XDK.  The XDK should simply be an executable that, when you run it, will install it.  If you're missing any components, the XDK will inform you of such.  Then simply google for what's missing and install those pieces as well.  I don't know what "easy_sdk" is, but it doesn't sound like an XDK distribution.

althena

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(XPort @ Nov 30 2007, 03:56 PM) *

There is a "libcdio" folder inside the "src" folder.  There is a project/solution in there.  Rebuild that in release mode.

Thanks, I had to do the same after that inside the libsnd folder and now it worked.

I specified NASMX, not avidemux.  As for setting environment variables,

Oohps, I actually installed NASMX and wanted to mention that. I also installed Avidemux because of something else and was obviously too much in a hurry this morning writing and sending out this post, sorry about this misunderstanding.
I got it working now including the environment variables and MekaX compiled.

You should really put more effort into locating the answers to these questions yourself.  Your question about the "main menu" text makes it seem like you're being lazy.  

Well, as I mentioned above I also see that some of my questions this morning got a little messed up but as I had a busy day today (without access to the Internet) I wanted to have this post being sent out.
But keep in mind, that most of these things such as NASM or environment variables are things I never heard before about.
About the "Main Menu": I just found many lines that included the text Main Menu and before I try them all until it works I thought that maybe you just could tell me which one is the right, but of course I can also do it by try and error. Maybe for you it seems also obvious which one I should choose but I am not the one who did write the code...
Finally I am not so sure if it is a good form to call people here in a public forum lazy for asking questions, also if it is just indirect. Telling me to put more effort into this is OK imho but the last sentence went a little to far I feel. Just yesterday I pointed another member here to an answer you gave me more than 4 years ago in the emulator section here. It took me more than 20 minutes to find that old post again (as the searching in this forum is not that comfortable I think), I don't think a lazy person would have done that.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:42:00 PM »

ok thanks.  It sound like I have what I need then.  I guess I'll find out once I install it all.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)