xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Dosxbox Current Discussion  (Read 1385 times)

XPort

• Archived User
Dosxbox Current Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 02:26:00 PM »

DOSXBox 286/386 PC Emulator port for XBox v8

http://xport.xbox-scene.com

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

What's New :

- Fixed support for USB connectors on your joypad upper/lower memory
  card slots.  

Stella, Gnuboy, SMSPlus, FCEUltra, HUGO, NeoPop, DGen, Bochs, HUGO-CD,
FMSXBox, Bliss, WinSTon, Gens, Z26X, StepmaniaX, PCSXBox, XBoyAdvance,
DOSXBox, AtariXLBox, MirrorMagicX, KoboX, MaelstromX, MarblesX, Vice64X,
Vice20X, VicePETX, KegsX, XPired, AdamX, WonderSwanX, BeatsOfRageX,
PowermangaX, LynxBox, BlueMSXBox, GladiatorX, AmphetamineX, StarfighterX,
PachiX, BlobWarsX, OdysseyX, ArnoldX, X68000X, WinUAEX
what's next?

Enjoy!

wisefire

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (XPort @ Nov 10 2004, 01:14 AM)
v5 vs v3.2 = tomato vs. to-mah-to

you are right.. its just syntax.. but still if the developers keep this up they will be at dosxbox v52 within no time..

but dont get me wrong i am very happy to see 3 versions coming out in one week.
it shows me that the developers are passionate and very productive.
and that if ive got a problem, they can and will fix it..

also i would just like to state that i think this rox.. running my commander keen games and my supaplex and my streetrod  and even simon the sorcerer..

i love it..

thank you dev guys!!

XPort

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (wisefire @ Nov 11 2004, 03:25 PM)
you are right.. its just syntax.. but still if the developers keep this up they will be at dosxbox v52 within no time..

but dont get me wrong i am very happy to see 3 versions coming out in one week.
it shows me that the developers are passionate and very productive.
and that if ive got a problem, they can and will fix it..

also i would just like to state that i think this rox.. running my commander keen games and my supaplex and my streetrod and even simon the sorcerer..

i love it..

thank you dev guys!!

unsure.gif

You're talking to me, right?  What's all this 3rd person talk of "the developers"?

"XPort" is the name of a person ; not a group....and you've been talking to him.

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

Ohhh, we thought you were kinda like a myth, a made up front to take the blame in case the real masters behind the project took a fall. smile.gif

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2004, 11:14:00 PM »

Ok, so where is this Analog feature again? I must be totally over looking it or something.

Ecrofirt

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2004, 12:57:00 AM »

XPort maybe you could help me.

I've read the FAQ, the help menu in the emulator, and I've looked at the readme.

I keep getting told that I can map any button to the controller for the game, but I just don't see the option anywhere.

I'm using v8, and here's my normal process to get to the controller settings:

Open game>right thumbstick click>Configuration>Controller Configuration>Controller 1>Change Joypad Mappings>Change Game Mappings

In this screen there's nothing for mapping the keyboard up/down/left/right, or any letters past A. I can't change pages or anything by pressing right/left on the d-pad, so it's not like they're on a different page.

I've also tried all the other controller 1 menus, and there's nothing there to map keys I need to the controller.

It's not like I haven't tried figuring this out. I've looked everywhere I can, and I'm being told I haven't and that it's 'right there' and stuff.

Can you help me?

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2004, 04:50:00 AM »

Configure Controller 1...

...then Change Emulator Definitions.

At which point, you manually add in the keys you want in your Joy Mapping list, then goto Joy mapping, and assign those keys to your controller.

mrinsane

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2004, 05:05:00 PM »

xport ad dmpi to you next release and make it optional like ems an xms and is there anything that your going to add to make a run a little faster btw one last thing i hear about this dynamic core if it can speed dosbox up add it

wisefire

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (XPort @ Nov 11 2004, 08:51 PM)
unsure.gif

You're talking to me, right?  What's all this 3rd person talk of "the developers"?

"XPort" is the name of a person ; not a group....and you've been talking to him.

i am sorry.. i didnt know that..

im not used to developers checking in regularly to talk to the masses..

and ehm. WHAT??? you dont mean to say that all these emulators are being created by one person?? that is impossible.. .. isnt it??

anyway.. i finally got this thing under control.. it runs beautifully.. exept for some games.. but im guessing i would need a 486 emulator for that.. lol.. (doom2 High seas trader..) ive read that you are experimenting with a dynamic core.. which should speedup the emulation.. or something.. im not a programmer so i wouldnt know..

the control setup is not that difficult however i find that the whole interface structure is a bit chaotic..  a lot of features i inversly proportional to a intuitive interface, i guess..

naturally i have some some suggestions..

the controller assignment is a bit cumbersome.. first having to define what i want to control with my controller.. and next actually putting under speciffic controller buttons..
my idea would be to make a menu where the buttons of the controller are listed and you just have to choose what keyboard(or mouse) key you want under it..
(and a advanced button so you can make those nice dual controller combos  for frameskip etc.. which would work like it does now..)

and i have a couple other ideas.. but im tired right now.. also i can understand that you get a lot of suggestions from everybody and get a bit irritated with them.

couple of questions to finish though..
how can i upload my configs?
how can i delete a config? or has that been answered in previous messages.. ill go check after posting..
how can i put 2 keyboard keys under one controller button.. hold on..  with your somewhat cumbersome controller setup.. that shouldnt be that hard.. ok it does have its advantages..

ooh im tired.. im off to bed..

s1w

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »

Couple questions for anyone that might know.

I have been able to get most games to run with dosxbox.

I'm having a problem with NBA Jam TE, Duke Nukem 3D & Rally Championship Racing.

They will execute to their DOS loader and terminate back to the dos prompt.

Has anyone had this problem and resolved it?

Also, will it be possible in the future to run a DOS based Windows game. What I mean is AGD revamped King's Quest I but it needs Ddirectx to run.  So if you try to run the executable, it gives you the famous error 'Cannot run in DOS mode'.

Is there a way around this as well?

ADG Sierra VGA remakes, http://www.agdinteractive.com/

This post has been edited by s1w: Nov 19 2004, 12:13 AM

A600

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

I'm having a problem with NBA Jam TE, Duke Nukem 3D & Rally Championship Racing.

They will execute to their DOS loader and terminate back to the dos prompt.

I haven't tried myself but don't bother. DosBox is a 286/386 emulator and according to my tests, the Xbox port is comparable to a 386-25/40 MHz so those games even if run, won't be playable.

Also, will it be possible in the future to run a DOS based Windows game. What I mean is AGD revamped King's Quest I but it needs Ddirectx to run.  So if you try to run the executable, it gives you the famous error 'Cannot run in DOS mode'.

Is there a way around this as well?

No

This post has been edited by A600: Nov 19 2004, 05:12 PM

s1w

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »

Ok, thanks for the speed information I will have to keep that in mind.

Is it possible to emulate 486dx50 systems with DosXbox or is the emulation speed maxed out?

Also I found a great site for DOS games if you have corrupt 5 1/4's and need the downloads. I won't post it on here in case of legalities. Now, I don't need to mess with the ADG releases because they have a lot of SCI based Sierra releases available.

The only one I couldn't get to run properly so far is Police Quest 4. ALL the others work perfectly and look excellent. PQ4 loads up and displays the Sierra graphic, I have sound but the mouse doesn't respond, and then it freezes at the menu. Not sure what is causing the problem with that.

Any ideas?

This is a great app, I have ressurected a ton of my old DOS games, it's like having 10 different machines in the Xbox now. I'm glad I went this route instead of a PS2!

I even tested Windows 3.1 on it.... ha ha. It runs, I was shocked!

This post has been edited by s1w: Nov 19 2004, 10:55 PM

debikkel

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

Just the other day I got dosxbox v8 to run, and it worked like a dream. Commander Keen 1 and 4, Jazz Jackrabbit, Supaplex, etc.

Now I just reinstalled XBMC 2004-11-15 (and set the auto temperature control to checked, which makes the fan spin less, thus the noise less), and ever since that, no dos game starts, every game -properly installed and working before- gives me a black screen... IGR seems disabled, the xbox hangs.

So I restored my previous XBMC (2004-11-11), set the temperature and fanspeed control to default (unchecked), completely removed all dosbox settings from E and F, reinstalled Dosbox, restored the testgames back on my hdd, reconfigured them, and still the black screen of death.

Any suggestions to fix this?

s1w

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »

Hey Debikkel,

Make sure to double check the configuration for each executable, because you have to make sure it's using the proper video mode, ie: Tandy, VGA, or CGA.

Robocop did that for me when I tried to use the Tandy emulation even though it's the CGA version. I had to change the emulation to VGA and then it worked no problem. I was dissapointed though because I have the EGA 16-color version of Robocop but it has that stupid copy proctection and I can only find the CGA version on the net.

But once again, make sure to double check the configuration on the executables.
Are you using a favourites list or executing your games directly?

NOTE: Also make sure you have XMS and EMS enabled as well.

This post has been edited by s1w: Nov 25 2004, 06:42 PM

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »

guys i've been using dosxbox for a few months now, and i have to say, its extraordinary.

however i am to understand that it emulates a 386 pc, which is something like 33mhz. but when i look at the pc dosbox

http://dosbox.source...php?show_news=1

it doesn't emulate just a 386, it emulates a general x86 pc running dos. why is it that the xbox version only emulates a 386 running dos, and not all x86 pcs.

or are these two completely programs i have mixed up???????
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10