xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xport Says "hi"  (Read 1022 times)

XPort

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »

Well, the answer to "where I've been" is "pretty much the same place I usually am" but I've been very busy with real-life activities and I actually completely forgot about these forums for quite a while.  I started thinking about the "XBox years" again, though, and decided to see if anyone's still posting.  

Oh - before anyone gets their hopes up, this does not mean I'm "returning" and will be doing more projects.  Sorry!  I haven't even turned on an XBox1 in a couple years.  

I'm glad to see Madmab is still doing work on these ports.  I haven't read much more than the recent posts in the "requests" thread, so I don't know what's been going on recently.  Anyone care to give a highlights reel of what's new in the last 1-2 years?

I saw someone asking if FreeDO was ever attempted.  That's kind of an interesting one because there's no publicly available source, but I did make contact with the author many years ago (when I was actively porting.)  He gave me the source and I got it working, but it was much too slow to be usable.  He said that he would try to optimize it for xbox with some hardware graphics accelerations, but that never happened.  Looks like nothing has happened with the project since 2007.

I also saw a lot of requests for Visual Pinball/PinMAME.  All I can say is that I think that whoever picks up that project will have their work cut out for them.  It's very Windows-centric and uses things like COM, ActiveX, and VBScript.  I think it would take a lot of work and re-writing to get it to work on XBox.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.  smile.gif

Hope everyone's doing well.  Drop me a line in this thread if you have any questions.

Happy gaming!

xyteam

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »

hi xport good to see you around,concerning updates to emulators these past few years,here is a quick rundown.
1.all or most of your xport emus are being updated by madmab with tonnes of new features.

2.mame well namely coinops has had a lot of new games added to it,these drivers were ported by iq132 one of the fba devs.
games like nightslashers,skull fang,osman,charlie ninja,dj boy......to much to mention.
also video previews were added to coinops/mame.

3.nes 6502 ported over the newest version of final burn alpha,this xbox version is called final burn legends and plays a load of new arcade  games which were not playable on the xbox before like galaxy force 2,turbo outrun,powerdrift......it was great to see the sega fd encrypted games playable for the first time on xbox.

4.surreall 64 is in the middle of getting an update courtesy of freakdave and weishersnitzel.there was a new release just last month sureallxxx b5.31 is the latest.
they are working on putting the new 1.61 surreall sourcecode into the emulator so its been very productive of late.
interesting to hear the news about the 3do sourcecode being ported over to xbox.

cbagy

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »

A refreshing change to see you posting here Xport.
Hope life has treated you well.
Just a quick thanks for your Xbox port's. Used em since day one.
Madmab has done some great work extending the emu's capabilities.
Hope your in agreement in the path they have taken.
Take care and again, nice to see your post.

gilles9999

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »

Hello Xport! you know how much i like your incredible work on xbox, since day one like cbagy i use it everyday
i have contributed with madmab resX and the others to update the emus, my part was to create a new dynamic skin system to handle all the Xtras stuff (dual movie/ boxarts display), single movie, single boxart, dual movie and title, or even triple view (boxart/movie and title displayed at the same time)
i also spent lot of energy on creating systems specific intro movies,
and with the team (and especially ressurectionX, we have done the ability for the emus to display the synopsis of any rom of any system based on the crc312)
finally i've created big rumbles database for the major systems (nes,genesis,snes,pc engine)

i have created a short vid about the new dynamic skin system if it can show you a little what we are talking about:

medna nes and the dynamic skin system

it will show you a little what are the Xtras our friend resX had collected for years with the others

don't hesitate to talk a little with us in the irc #RessurectionXtras
or on www.ressurectionXtras.net it will be with pleasure of course

This post has been edited by gilles9999: May 30 2010, 06:40 PM

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »

nes6502 also ported over Nestopia.

You should check out Madmabs change log, from any of the emulators, he fixed/tweaked a lot of stuff, mostly across the board so looking at one change log will give you the gist of it. Somethings like fixing intellevoice on Intellevision was big (to me lol) and adding overlays for the controllers on that system too.

bigby

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »

Good to see back the person who ported all these great emulators!

I was beginning to think you wasn't real  tongue.gif

Like others have mentioned, madmab has done an amazing job on updating them.

Now if we could just sort out those pesky lockups in winuaex..... wink.gif

waal

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

I'm delighted to read the man who became a legend by providing all these great emus. Thanks to you, the Xbox has become a cult machine.

And yes, I hope one day this mysterious Winuaex bug will be fixed.
By the way, would you explain why the screen resolution is so particular for this emulator ? It appears the default size is 908x312. If you don't mind of course, I understand it's an old story for you.

run088

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

Nice to hear from you again xport. You have been missed. It's good to see you posting again. A lot of us have wondered how you have been.

You should check out the new versions of your emulators they are impressive. Madmab has done a remarkable job on there upkeep while you have been gone. Like any father I believe you would be proud about their development and the way they continue to grow and live on.

The author of coinops has done some neat things with some of your emu cores as well. He has developed a way to combine them into coinops and turned it into more of a frontend. It is worth a look at if you were unaware of it.

Thanks for everything you have shared with us threw the years and know you have fans and friends here no matter if you ever pick up anymore projects here or not.

It is good to hear from you and I hope we hear from you more often.

madmab

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »

Well I think most of the stuff had been covered.  I somehow managed to get all caught up in updating most of the emu's when my original intention was to start with specific older emu's that I felt could use a little loving.  Most of the time ended up being used towards supporting the Ressurection Xtras and dual preview skins.  Which pretty much consists of the ability to display screenshots, box/cart art, and preview movies all in one skin.  The Xtras contain/consist of all of these including manuals, gamefaqs, VGmaps, and commercials and game synopsis'.  The Xtras are mostly comprised of the more popular console based emu's.  Did ALOT of cleaning up little things and trying to make things more consistent across the board.  All emu's pretty much support samba/relax sharing on pretty much everything.  Cleaning up the software filters.

I also managed to make little upgrades here and there to alot of the emu cores.  Like overlay support for BlissX and AdamX, fixing the intellivoice.  NTSC filter for atarixlbox (my first attempt at filters).  Better sound engines for AdamX.  I've been working on adding cheat code databases and cheat code support for alot of the systems as well.  Megaman_? and Bombbloke have been a real big help with that.  Gilou has been great about creating rumbles for the emu's as I release them.  It's actually pretty interesting to see how far things have come since my first release of atarixlbox which I've been slowly working on trying to bring up to the same level as the rest of the emu's.  That what I can remember off the top of my head.

Outside of RessurectionX's Xtras alot of people have stepped up and helped in other areas.  CarnageByBob (who seems to be missing atm) came up with a whole bunch of Xtra's for the ITNV which inspired me to work on BlissX and get it up to snuff.  Waal created a bunch of configurations for winuaex for ADF and WHD files.  We've added an autoconfig DB and preset controller definitions for this to make getting into the Amiga alot easier for the average joe.  The WHD system is kinda cool cause you select the WHD file and it will automatically mount a "WHD boot" file to make things easier.  Bigby has kinda jumped on board to help with that as well as working on MSX.  There are plans also for KegsX as well.  Although the original apples had to be some of the screwiest setups I've ever seen.  So basically the guys and I are trying to create Xtra's for all the computer based emu's to make them more playable than ever.  Stupot has been going berzerk on Spectrum Xtras as well.

Finally we got a guy named wimpy working on some really cool online stuff.  Check out http://www.ressurectionxtras.net/synopsis (user:visitor pw:welcometorx).

One thing I realized working thru all these emu's is just how far you've really pushed the Xbox with these emu's.  Considering the memory constraints and other things that exist.  Especially in regards to 720p and higher and the software filters.  I think with things slowly moving into the arena of Hi-Def it is even more so apparent.  If you don't mind I certainly could use some help/pointers in learning how to create a thread and how they typically work.  I mostly would like to do it with the xmv movie playback.  But I've also considered it for any streaming I do across the network for Xtras.

Anyways glad to see you are out and about from time to time.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cospefogo

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »

Hail to the king.
Hail to the master.
Hats off to Xport.

You made my gaming life happier than ever.
It's nice to read you again.

Cospefogo.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »

so glad to see a post from you my man! hope all has been well with you and that life is going great for you! may we see you more on here xport. lol when i saw the post i felt like it was the old days there for a minute!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

Always good to see and hear from you!

XT-

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »

Ha, you must be as bored as me to start posting here again. Take it from me, it just makes things worse.  tongue.gif

hcf

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »

Hi Xport!!

I arrived too late to the Xbox scene, so this is my first chance to say you BIG THANKS for your amazing work. People like Madmab and you are a great inspiration for everybody in this site. I hope to follow your steps and develope something for the Xbox in the future, when my personal life give me a chance.

It's very interesting what you say about FreeDO!!!  Do you think that the source code is still available? If it is still available, maybe someone can study it and see whether it is possible to optimize for the Xbox, as you said. It would be an impressive gift of returning to this forums!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thank you again for all your work and I hope that, even you are now too busy to program for the Xbox now, at least you keep visiting these forums and enjoying all the scene, because you are the father of all this stuff.

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 04:47:00 AM »

Hi Xport!
nice to hear from you.
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the great work you have done in the emulation scene!
Cheers & take care - beerchug.gif

Darknior

• Archived User
Xport Says "hi"
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »

Hi

Same as MEGA MAN ... many many many thanks for launch the xBox scene biggrin.gif
Without you ... there were not possible to make xbox a fantastic museum machine for old machine tongue.gif

QUOTE(Mega Man (?) @ May 31 2010, 12:47 PM) View Post

Hi Xport!
nice to hear from you.
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the great work you have done in the emulation scene!
Cheers & take care - beerchug.gif

If one day you have some time for help us, it is real we always have some stuff we can't do ourself sad.gif
I speak with MADMAB and it don't know how to upgrade really your emulators with the last PC source ... so many ASM and C++ code ... very hard to understand what he can update or not ?
And it is really sad for some machine who now works better on PC ...

And if one day you really have many time lol ... i think it is possible to add some new machine to the museum tongue.gif
Maybe the SEGA SATURN ... now it works on WII tongue.gif
Maybe Nintendo DS ... but is the xbox enough strong ?

Update SCUMMVMX with the SVN source, but you have not start it ...
Update DAPHNE ... but nobody have the source for it sad.gif

3DO but you say the code is not optimised sad.gif
MAME PINBALL were be exellent too ... but is it is coded just for Windows ... snif ...

After i don't think we can see one day Dreamcast ... one emu is working on PSP ... maybe it is possible ?

Bye
Pages: [1] 2 3