xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: May Be A Mindless, And Useless Question/idea  (Read 310 times)

James1982

• Archived User
May Be A Mindless, And Useless Question/idea
« on: October 11, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »

I've been away fromt he forums for a Loooooooooong TimeĀ™.

Now...things have definately improved and changed since I've been here, and now I'm getting back into it.  I didn't read too much on the filesystem employed by the XBox...but I was wondering about something:

Defrag.

Yup.  The one tool I still use religiously on Windows to keep things running smoothly has been on my mind altely.  I was using my XBox as a temporary filespace till I could get larger harddrives for my computer, and with deleting and copying files onto the hard drive alot, I'd imagine fragmentation is pretty high...  or am I just being stupid?

Is there a defrag tool for the various custom dashboards?

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

Huh! I never thought of that. I wonder if that is possible, and if it would improve response time.

I don't use it (defragmentation) on my main computer much because it has so little free space, which according to windows means that defragmentation is "uneffective". It is only a 20GB hard drive, 18 or 19 of which are filled up.

Anyway, I hope someone figures it out (on xBox).

- 2 Bunny

Samurai Waffle

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

The way the Xbox file system is set up, it basically defrags it for you as you manipulate files.  There is no need for a defragging program because of it.

Also 2 Bunny, you might want to look into a program called ultimate defrag by disktrix.  It defrags your hard drive, and it moves the most commonly used files to the outside of the hard drive, which makes them read/load faster.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(Samurai Waffle @ Oct 17 2009, 12:22 AM) View Post
The way the Xbox file system is set up, it basically defrags it for you as you manipulate files.  There is no need for a defragging program because of it.

Also 2 Bunny, you might want to look into a program called ultimate defrag by disktrix.  It defrags your hard drive, and it moves the most commonly used files to the outside of the hard drive, which makes them read/load faster.

So that would work with the limited free space in my laptop?

- 2 Bunny

ganjatron

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »

Xbox doesn't need a defragger is the response always given to this question, yet each of the 3 I've modded have gotten slower and slower and slower over time. Maybe a stock one didn't need it, but...

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(ganjatron @ Oct 19 2009, 07:03 PM) View Post
Xbox doesn't need a defragger is the response always given to this question, yet each of the 3 I've modded have gotten slower and slower and slower over time. Maybe a stock one didn't need it, but...

Well, there is nothing different about the stock drives really.

- 2 Bunny