xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xvid/divx Encoding On The Xbox  (Read 75 times)

Osirls

• Archived User
Xvid/divx Encoding On The Xbox
« on: August 29, 2005, 06:06:00 PM »

When i get DVDs i'd like to be able to transfer them to my xbox like i can with my games, and instantly be able to use them. The thing is to rip the discs so they are playable and small enough ill have to encode them into something more suitable like Divx or Xvid through my PC, taking around 5 hours on mine.

Is there any possibility of an Xvid encoder being released for the XBOX? Perhaps it would be a feature of DVD2XBOX? I can see it being unlikely that a Divx encoder is released seeing as that would break a few copyright laws..

CandieCorpse

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

this has been talked about a bunch of times , use the search , but the simple anser is * it wont happen*

Osirls

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

I did use the search actually.
I dont see why it couldnt happen, its not impossible.

alexmspqr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(Osirls @ Sep 7 2005, 11:45 PM)
I did use the search actually.
I dont see why it couldnt happen, its not impossible.

Its not impossible but, as I understand it, it's so impractical (i.e. time to encode with the x-box specs) it's really not worth the effort to make.

This post has been edited by alexmspqr: Sep 9 2005, 02:17 PM

CamdogXIII

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

but with that brand spanking new xbox 360, you could do that in a flash

PacoSuave

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:00 AM »

It's definately something people will always want to be able to do.  The xbox360 should have the specs for that.

When you copy a full DVD movie with DVD2XBOX is there a way to easily select that movie from a list in XBMC and have XBMC see the ripped folder as an actual disc and treat it as such, giving you all the menus and submenus and bonus features and all?

I know that DVD discs consists of .vob files and other menu files that make everything run but when you select one of these files, you often times only get a portion of the movie to play or it has commentary or is dubbed in another language.

But when you play the DVD, it knows which files to access and when.  So if you were to copy the DVD to the hard drive of the XBOX perhaps you could RIP it as an image file and then XBMC could have the option to mount the image to a virtual drive like on computers with Alcohol 120%

What do you guys think?

jack003

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

Its possible. Just whether anyone wants to take the time to port. All the code is already open source, my old panasonic 333mhz laptop takes 7 hrs to convert a dvd, i'd be satisfied at that even (overnight conversion). Course once / if the 360 is cracked, it would have a lot more power for just that.

00diabolic

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

Now why is this not possible? It seems like a relatively good idea and my old Athlon 750 usta encode a movie in less then 5hrs. Thats perfect comparison to the xbox specs if we can get the software to do it. The video on the xbox is well up to the challenge.

Who will step up to the plate and make this a beta project on the xbox. If we can rip a movie why cant we encode one also.

Does anyone know if there is a beta out there? I will be glad to test.

Thanks  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

torne

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »

You can encode movies just fine with any Linux encoder ya like. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nobody's worked on an encoder that runs under the MS kernel that I know of, cuz it'd be a pretty big project (video encoding is nontrivial, and getting codecs to run on the Xbox at all is pretty fiddly, as the XBMC guys can tell you), it can already be done (it will work fine with whatever Linux software you like), and it's not exactly speedy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)