xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: People Need To Read The Rules...  (Read 372 times)

Master-Chief

• Archived User
People Need To Read The Rules...
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

Hello,

I, along with others think that these n00bs need to read the rules. This needs to happen prior to them even having access to an X-S Account. You should MAKE them read the rules BEFORE they sign up. I don't know how it works now, but I was fairly familiar with this site since I have been here for a while, but was never interested in making an account, but it was fairly easy to make an account and I didn't read any rules. The people signing up should be FORCED to read the rules, and some people just try to skip it, so like put a time limit (about at least 2 minutes to read ALL the rules), and then let them go on. If they try to cheat their way through give them a message box that says, "You didn't read the rules, you MUST read the rules before signing up." Something like this NEEDS to be done to prevent spammers and pirate kiddies. This is my suggestion and please feel free to add to it or let me know if this is something that will never happen!  tongue.gif

--Master-Chief

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »

We can force them to sit there for two minutes but we can't force them to read it. Face it some people will always be assholes who don't care about the rules and are not inclined to search nor read the tutorials. They want the infortmation handed to them on a silver platter. We can't change that.

green_beetle

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 03:37:00 AM »

I think people have to realise that there will always be new members to the scene, that dont know that there are rules and faqs(maybe an email to the member at sign up could help).  

Personally I dont mind people asking for help on a easy question, the thing that really is bugging me at the moment is the flaming that members do when a "noob" question arises.

Instead of a rant just answer their question if its basic enough and the thread will be over.

In the past Ive flammed members over a really stupid questions, but ive found all it leads to is a multiple page thread on absolutly nothing. And if it is a really "stupid" question it will be binned by a mod anyway.

Ive always been told teaching is the best way to learn more yourself.

.......................And if not, i have always voted for a short test about those "noob" questions before you sign up or before your allowed to post in a certain forum topic.

This post has been edited by green_beetle on Jul 26 2004, 10:38 AM

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 04:27:00 AM »

In a community with over 130,000 members (as of writing this) there is no way to A ) guarantee everyone reads the rules and B ) make sure everyone FOLLOWS the rules.  That is why there is such a large staff of moderators across these forums, to help clean up offending posts and respond to rule violations.

It's not going to change, whether you make people read the rules or not.   The only thing we can do is try to clean up as much as we can and warn or ban users who do not follow the rules.  I know that there are always people that don't follow the rules but as far as moderating these forums goes, I think we do a pretty good job.  smile.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »

I think the current system is fine smile.gif, as long as there are mods to kick out piracy whores then it's no problem. The only rule violation I did was have two images in my sig. It was a couple of days before the mod's got to me I think, but they catch up with you. So yer, but them newbs that say softmodding in the hardware/case modding is a mod or what the best mod chip is them threads just really piss me of I try and ignore them as much as I can.

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (bucko @ Jul 26 2004, 09:39 AM)
but them newbs that say softmodding in the hardware/case modding is a mod or what the best mod chip is them threads just really piss me of I try and ignore them as much as I can.

That's all you can do.  If you let it really bother you then perhaps it's time to move on.  It's not going to go away.  Just go about your business, report offending posts and don't let anything get to you.

It's only a website.  There are more important things in life.... or so I've heard.  wink.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

lol tongue.gif

darkslider802

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »

because it doesnt register the first tiem in thier thick headed skulls,its like you tell it one time you think it would stop but no,you got to keep telling it and telling it not to and then they finally stop and join the rest of us they dont post stupit threads.(sometimes) dry.gif

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »

ahem... rules like signature rules?  tongue.gif

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (EmperorPsiblade @ Jul 26 2004, 01:39 PM)
ahem... rules like signature rules?  tongue.gif

Like the crime of the horrible shrinking of my comic! GAH!!! It looks like crap!  ph34r.gif

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 01:52:00 PM »

better?  tongue.gif

i need a new sig.... better warm up Photoshop laugh.gif

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »

I guess you guys are right, but I am very active in the Case Modding section and we get at least like 5 posts a day that are these n00bs posting about Mod-Chips and BIOSes and then those threads just goto Flame Wars and I am sitting there and wondering, "Where the HELL are the moderators?" I think that there needs to be ONE more moderator in that forum just to give that extra look out for those unnecessary threads.  smile.gif

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »

Well, there is always the way that a mod on "another" forum did it. There were 2 seperate stickys. One labeled "forum rules", and another labeled something like "0-days 'n' warez; Where to download ISO'z and APPZ" under it. Of coarse the second link lead to another set of the forum rules, but also had about 10 times more page views than the forum rules topic.....yes, they looked to trickery.

This post has been edited by quall on Jul 27 2004, 09:45 PM

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (Master-Chief @ Jul 25 2004, 10:55 PM)
Hello,

I, along with others think that these n00bs need to read the rules. This needs to happen prior to them even having access to an X-S Account. You should MAKE them read the rules BEFORE they sign up. I don't know how it works now, but I was fairly familiar with this site since I have been here for a while, but was never interested in making an account, but it was fairly easy to make an account and I didn't read any rules. The people signing up should be FORCED to read the rules, and some people just try to skip it, so like put a time limit (about at least 2 minutes to read ALL the rules), and then let them go on. If they try to cheat their way through give them a message box that says, "You didn't read the rules, you MUST read the rules before signing up." Something like this NEEDS to be done to prevent spammers and pirate kiddies. This is my suggestion and please feel free to add to it or let me know if this is something that will never happen!  tongue.gif

--Master-Chief

Ha.. funny coming from a person who did similar things when they started here

Oh the irony  laugh.gif

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 03:44:00 PM »

we can have the rule pop up on login each time.. people will still ignore them. People ignoring the rule do so on purpose as they are looking for shortcuts to get info.

That is why when caught it's a zero tolerance policy.  We won't buther the site by placing rules everywhere anymore. They are clealry posted.

When people fuck up.. they'll be pointed to the door.
Pages: [1] 2 3