xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hashes For Valid Files  (Read 225 times)

vidgms4me

• Archived User
Hashes For Valid Files
« on: January 18, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of "what the heck did I download" and "did I download the right thing?" threads (esp.  with the rise of the "Slayers Virus".)

Following in suit of SlaYer, how about, on the software page of X-S, it lists:

1) The 'official' filename.
2) An MD5 hash of the official release.

It seems many site users don't want IRC, FTP clients on their PC to get xbox homebrew apps.  This might help (legally) ease the pain of finding HTTP/Emule/ETC downloads, and would eliminate so called "software viruses".  In addition, it would help users verify that their bios and software packages were valid.  It's still not links, but aids in the searching.

Sounds like a lot of work, but with all the users on the forums, and the fact that it takes about 2 seconds to generate an MD5/SFV file, I think it might be worth the effort.

The reason I'm suggesting here, and not at the Xbins site, for example, is that X-S has the most complete, organized database of software as it is.

Well, just a suggestion.  <

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Hashes For Valid Files
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »

It's a half decent idea.. problem is.. then we would be resposnible for maintaining it.  If an error occures.. people blame us.

Also.. we'd then need the author or an official rep to give us that hash to ensure authenticity.

XBINS is still the single best source for the homebrew scene.  Authors set up accounts.. and upload their tools there.. so you know you are getting the real deal.

XBINS is the best part of this scene.. as opposed to others.. where in-fighting and backstabbing have ruined attempts to maintain an archive.  Short of 2 utils.. one legitiamate and one that is an ini file... every homebrew project can be found easily there.

However.. there is nothing stopping you from making a post in Homebrew or Dev or utils (pick one) and maintain a hash listing yourself for the public good.  

IRIEZ might even be able to help with that hash list.. if he is so inclined.  As you mention.. and me earlier.. it's more work.

Start the list.. and see where it goes.
 <