xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possibility For Bootable Ude Discs?  (Read 98 times)

justice7

• Archived User
Possibility For Bootable Ude Discs?
« on: August 04, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

This is something that came to me when I wasn't even doing anything xbox related haha

But, what if you were to take your UPDATE.XBE,  rename it to DEFAULT.XBE , apply the necessary UDE patch..  

then open a hex editor and re-link the fonts to the D: ,  also hex the font exploits to relink where PBL is located (in a subdir on the D:)

Of course all the files necessary to boot PBL , EvoX and run UDE should be located on the CD and all files edited and relinked.

Any reason why this should -not- work?  This would remove any need for having to use the gamesave exploits AND would allow direct bootable media in the future!

Not to mention "UDE/UDE2 installer applications" for new xboxes... pretty much making it idiot proof.

thoughts?

This post has been edited by justice7: Aug 4 2004, 02:00 PM

scrupul0us

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »

I guess thad be fine, so long as your ok with going to ms dash as soon as you eject the disc... although, if its loaded to memory from the disc then youd be ok, but trying to return to the dash after say loading another program (Without the disc in there) might kick you back to ms dash

justice7

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 07:05:00 AM »

The big thing here would be the ability to get into EvoX just by popping in a DVD/CDRW

Not as a perminant solution but a method of install.  No need for a memcard.

This post has been edited by justice7: Aug 4 2004, 02:06 PM

scrupul0us

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 07:07:00 AM »

So for the sake of gettin to Evox, not to use it all the time from the disc... For the ability to accomplish another purpose

justice7

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (scrupul0us @ Aug 4 2004, 03:03 PM)
So for the sake of gettin to Evox, not to use it all the time from the disc... For the ability to accomplish another purpose

such as installing ude

this could be also automated :P

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 07:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (justice7 @ Aug 4 2004, 02:52 PM)
This is something that came to me when I wasn't even doing anything xbox related haha

But, what if you were to take your UPDATE.XBE,  rename it to DEFAULT.XBE , apply the necessary UDE patch.. 

then open a hex editor and re-link the fonts to the D: ,  also hex the font exploits to relink where PBL is located (in a subdir on the D:)

Of course all the files necessary to boot PBL , EvoX and run UDE should be located on the CD and all files edited and relinked.

Any reason why this should -not- work?  This would remove any need for having to use the gamesave exploits AND would allow direct bootable media in the future!

Not to mention "UDE/UDE2 installer applications" for new xboxes... pretty much making it idiot proof.

thoughts?

1. You hex edit the file, the retail BIOS won't load it.

2. How can you tell the retail BIOS to read your burnt DVD ?

3. Even if it works, you need to first put the exploited font on C: and this would turn your machine unable to run the dash.

But if it works, it is a 'cheap' way to exploit, still suffering the same ROJ issue.  If you can solve (2), it may be doable as there is some old update.xbe in say MachAssault that is quite likely to be exploitable.

This post has been edited by chimpanzee: Aug 4 2004, 02:10 PM

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

This is aimed at unmodded xboxes i take it, how exactly would you get it to boot on an unmodded xbox?

justice7

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

well .. i am assuming that the xbox reads d:\default.xbe and sees if it is a signed file or not..

unless there is another check involved?  Before it does that?  That would throw this method out the window :)

oh and the exploited font would be on the D: , of course relinked.  

This post has been edited by justice7: Aug 4 2004, 02:13 PM

scrupul0us

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 07:12:00 AM »

I see what your saying... well in that case... youd just have to sign your files and make the disc bootable... i dont think youd have to change the paths as it would act like a game disc that loads its own default.xbe and such... I'm not 100% sure on this, but its my $.02 based on what I've read up on here... Talk to ldots as hes a genius with this stuff :D  

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 07:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (justice7 @ Aug 4 2004, 02:08 PM)
well .. i am assuming that the xbox reads d:\default.xbe and sees if it is a signed file or not..

unless there is another check involved?  Before it does that?  That would throw this method out the window :)

oh and the exploited font would be on the D: , of course relinked.

the only way would be to sign it with the MS private key, which is illegal.

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »

And it wouldnt read the DVD media as a "real" gamedisc anyhow

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (total_ass @ Aug 4 2004, 03:10 PM)
the only way would be to sign it with the MS private key, which is illegal.

you don't need to. As I said, there are update.xbe that is signed by MS, exploitable and run from DVD.

The problem is, you cannot make this into default.xbe because I don't think there is a way for you to make game DVD at home. Otherwise, everyone would take a game DVD and make backups. The retail BIOS knows how to distinguish this.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (chimpanzee @ Aug 4 2004, 02:13 PM)
you don't need to. As I said, there are update.xbe that is signed by MS, exploitable and run from DVD.

yes but doesn't renaming it to default.xbe change its byte size thus making it invalid?

justice7

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

imo, it does not matter "where" the xbe is loaded.. be it from c: or d: ....
what we're doing here is loading UDE as we know is an exploit.  

When UDE is installed and the xbox starts up, it loads c:\xboxdash.xbe ...  we all know we use that to load UDE right?   what i'm thinking is that we just change that to d:\default.xbe  which was launched from the xboxdash.xbe file.

changing the name doesnt matter at all, remember we changed update.xbe to xboxdash.xbe ?  or did you use an auto installer?  I installed UDE Manually and thats how i thought of this.

follow now?

This post has been edited by justice7: Aug 4 2004, 02:25 PM

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 07:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (total_ass @ Aug 4 2004, 03:18 PM)
yes but doesn't renaming it to default.xbe change its byte size thus making it invalid?

no, you can name it whatever you like. The problem is you cannot create game DVD that the retail kernel would read.