xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Non Modchip (exploit) Vs Modchip  (Read 183 times)

jamccor

• Archived User
Non Modchip (exploit) Vs Modchip
« on: May 12, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »

Ive read all about the different modchips. I've also read about non-mod exploits. My question is, If I decide to go the exploit route (non-mod),is it worth it? Im not put off by precision soldering. but if there is no diff, between the two mods except the extra steps involved with exploiting, what else will I need to do that someone who bought a chip will not have to do? Hope this is not to confusing. :blink:

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 07:34:00 AM »

A modchip offers the ability to turn it off and boot to a virgin box.
However, depending on the exploit, you can have virgin box capabilities.
Virgin box capabilities are not a big deal unless you plan to play on Live.
A mod does allow for easily adding larger HDD's. You can add larger HDD's on an exploited box but the steps are a bit more complicated.
If you are not very knowledgeable with exploits on the PC or other platform I would suggest the modchip, for you had stated precision soldering is not a big deal.
Good Luck!

jamccor

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 07:47:00 AM »

So basically what youre saying is... modchip or exploit...in the end (if done correctly) I will have the same capabilities no matter which route I choose?

Also, can you tell me or point me in the right direction here:
I also want to add a bigger hd.
Do I mod 1st, add hd then add evo-x ? What is the correct order? Thanks

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »

to make it easy for you. If you have an old xbox (kernel prior to 5530) the exploit combined with pbl will set you up with a whole new bios in ram that means it's basically the same thing as an xbox modded with a chip. 2 downfalls compared with a chipped xbox are that the installation of a new hardrive is much more complicated on an exploited xbox and requires a hd that is lockable. And you cannot boot with backup games in the drive.
If you have a newer xbox (kernel 5530 or higher) you'r probably better of with a chip cuz you can't upgrade your harddisk and all games and apps have to be signed before you can actually play them. On the newest xboxes (kernel 5713 or higher) the dashboard exploits won't even work since the dashboard cannot be downgraded. If you don't go live you might wanna consider a tsop flash.

2nd question: mod first and see if everything works fine then put in fresh hd and use some bootdisk to format and install evox and other apps. (This is much more complicated when you decide to use exploits)

Ridley

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »

The only factor is the size of your wallet.

jamccor

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 07:05:00 AM »

Thanks for all the input. I had my eye on the xecuter2.3 lite plus,solderless. I think Ill go with it. I appreciate all the replies!

Blank

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

If you feel confident in soldering, I personally recommend you flash your TSOP--especially if you have a 1.0/1.1 Xbox (Because of the 1MB bios).

jamccor

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 12:10:00 PM »

I actually have version 1.4 so Im going to splurge on the solderless chip.