xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Do I Eject The Dvd On A Softmodded Box?  (Read 103 times)

E-Vix

• Archived User
How Do I Eject The Dvd On A Softmodded Box?
« on: March 22, 2004, 05:57:00 PM »

I'm wondering if it is possible to eject the DVD on a softmodded Xbox. I've got my first Xbox (limited Crystal) since last thursday, and I softmodded it with a 007 savegame today.
I'm getting the hang of how to get programs working on it, but I was wondering if there is a way to eject the DVD drive so I could make backups of my games and run my backups.
I've got a Xbox running kernel 5713 and dashboard 3752.

p.s. As it's 3:40 AM over here i'm going to try to get some sleep now, so don't expect a quick reply from me ;)  <

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »

To be able to eject the DVD-drive from all apps you would have to load a replacement bios. At the moment you are out of luck here since the Phoenix Bios Loader will not run on this kernel (yet at least). And another problem would be if there is a hacked bios yet that supports this box. Does it have a new video chip or not? Does anyone know ?

As far as I know it is also impossible to downgrade the MS dash with this kernel so the font and audio exploit are also out of the question.

You could of course always TSOP flash it , provided there is a bios supporting the video chip!

So I guess at the time being your options are few. One way would be to backup a game on the HD and sign it with the key your game save is using. Without a hacked bios you would not be able to upgrade your HD and use the F-drive so that severely limits the number of backups you can have on the HD.  <

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 06:24:00 PM »

Double post !

This post has been edited by ldots: Mar 23 2004, 02:25 AM <

E-Vix

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »

As far as I know this box has the new Focus videochip in it. Phoenix does start to load, but the screen is messed up, and after a few seconds it goes black and the box doesn't respond to anything anymore.

TSOP flashing is not really an option right now as I don't want to change anything on the motherboard (at least not right now).

The only thing I can do at this moment is use backups created by someone else, and upload them to the box. Upgrading the HDD shouldn't be a problem as I've seen tutorials that are based entirely on softmods and hotswapping the drive. The only problem I have right now is the lack of money to buy a new drive :P.  <

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 02:10:00 AM »

The only thing I can do at this moment is use backups created by someone else, and upload them to the box.

But of course you wouldn't do such a thing right?
They only games you can backup yourself are the ones that have a game save hack - be cause you can't eject the drive  :(

Yes, you can replace the harddrive but you will not make any use of the extra space unless you run a hacked bios that support the F. (and G:) drive. So not worth the money right now!  <

E-Vix

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 02:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (ldots @ Mar 23 2004, 10:59 AM)
But of course you wouldn't do such a thing right?

Only with the games I own.

They only games you can backup yourself are the ones that have a game save hack - be cause you can't eject the driveĀ  :(

I was wondering... There is an emergency disk eject hole in the front of my Xbox. Only it's being blocked by a metal plate behind it (don't know if that's the case for all Xboxes, but it's there on my Crystal)
What if I would drill a hole in the metal plate, and press the emergency release lever of the DVD drive. Would the drive open, and enable me to swap disks, or would it still reset?

Yes, you can replace the harddrive but you will not make any use of the extra space unless you run a hacked bios that support the F. (and G:) drive. So not worth the money right now!

Didn't know that... That's on the last few lines of the tutorials, and as I didn't read the entire tutorial yet, i thought it was recognised automatically.

But how does the box deal with the different original drives? As there are 8Gb models and 10Gb models... Does it just have a larger E drive, or does the extra space go to waste?

This post has been edited by E-Vix: Mar 23 2004, 10:54 AM <

ldots

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 05:26:00 AM »

I actually don't know if the box will reset if you remove the DVD media "by force". Interresting  :D Would like to hear your result if you try this.

Yes, the extra space on a 10 gig drive is lost - unless you load a hacked bios. A lot of people got an extra 2 gigs this way.
I believe the partition table is simply identical on all drive meaning that the xbox doesn't know about the extra space when running the retail bios. The E: partition is the same size.  <