xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Are Softmods Useless Now?  (Read 759 times)

nezff

• Archived User
Are Softmods Useless Now?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »

so now u have to copy amped 2 or CS to the hdd with dvd2xbox and the ppf it?

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2003, 06:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (digitalman42 @ Oct 27 2003, 05:57 PM)
First off, you dont control the public forums, if someone is talking about me im going to reply to it.  Second, im just as frustrated as you guys it sucks and I just wanted everyone to know I have my xbox currently soft modded and I do have a matrix laying around.  I would rather not have to put it back in, theres always that slight chance it can screw your D0 up.  I dont know one person who got this game to work correctly with a softmod, if you say you did, you are the first.  Why is it working for so many with mod chips and one with a softmod?? no reason to argue here guys im just trying to figure out whats going on.  Im really po'd that I buy my games, but like to run them off the HD because they load 5 times faster and I dont have to keep taking my games in and out of my xbox dvd player.  What fonts are you using, and are you using EvoX or Avalaunch?

i have a softmodded with mech assault savegame.  i got crimson skies today and tried it out. retail version brand new disc.  Played it from the disc first and it worked fine. I played a while through it.(where u get back bettys plane or some crap)  no problems.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2003, 08:02:00 PM »

im sure most of you have ventured to the other exploit forums and had a look at my posts..

me and pholly are trying our hardest to figure this out. but neither one of us are programmers,, just guys who wnat this bad boy to work.

here's what we have so far, some of it you already know. some you may not..

1)
the retail game plays fine AS LONG AS the xbox boots up with the disk in it.  COPIES WILL NOT WORK!

2)
if you try to run the dvd with Evox Avalaunch, Boxplorer, or ANY other app it locks at the 3RD LOAD, mind you i said 3rd load sequence., ill try to explain this in a minute.

3)
for those of you who have a PC DVD ROM piggy backed on your xbox, take note of the dvd light,, watch it light up when the game loads when playing from the hard drive,, the game is STILL looking for a DVD even after the xbe is patched. (possibly a new media check ?? )
3a)
xbox music mixer does this too,  so that makes 2 brand new M$ titales that have odd dvd behavior.

4)
Multiplayer games play fine for 1 ROUND, and thats all,. when the round is over ,, the game locks .. why  its the 3RD load,, <--!!

5)
if you load up the game via the hard drive,, and choose your save , when you load up to the Pandora menu where you choose your plane, (that is the second load, 1st load is the main menu), now instead of choosing your plane and trying to load the game,, hit the B button and then confirm your exit to main menu,., guess what happens,,  it locks,, why ??  3RD LOAD. yes the game locks when you try to exit to the main menu.

6)
There is no proof as of yet that its related to PBL,, its possible it is doing a check of your C drive for things like PBL or the stb files or the ernie/bert files.

7)
X2_4977 will not play the game PERIOD it simply locks when the game tries to play so you need a bios higher than that.  and the M7 bios dont work for PBL so ,, dont try it .

8)
DIGITAL MAN   your rebooting xbox is a KNOWN bug dude,, use a different font file,, mine did that too until i used a different font hack ,, read around it was an issue. your xbox should NOT sit there and reboot over and over when you have a dvd or cd in. i think i am using bert vs ernie reloaded.

9)
knowtice all the new games within the last week have needed patched, or locked during loading or gameplay,, and those are locking for people with modCHIPS.  

thats about all i can think of for now,, but the 3RD load issue is real,, and pholly and i are thinking that is the key,, its just a matter of finding out wtf its doing,

if PBL loads the bios into ram,, i would think that they would have that tiny section of ram locked with a ram lock function. but maybe not..  

maybe we are doomed,, maybe we arent.,, i just wish a programmer would be nice enough to look at this for us.. or at least someone with some good xbox knowledge.
at least it would get us to shut up.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2003, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (LESTAT @ Oct 30 2003, 12:02 AM)
9)
knowtice all the new games within the last week have needed patched, or locked during loading or gameplay,, and those are locking for people with modCHIPS.  

Holy Crap....That's the scariest spelling of the word 'notice' I've ever seen.  smile.gif

xilicio

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2003, 08:48:00 PM »

Im also working in this too..

I think the dashboard has to be the problem...
If you do the dashhack and edit xboxdash.xbe to make it load fonts with other extension like *.xft instead of *.xtf
It may be the dashboard since the game always lock when trying to load the gamesave or something
Thats what I think..

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

It's not the dashboard.  I'm experiencing the same problems, but I'm not using the softmods.  I'm just using Phoenix Bios Loader (I've got an unflashable Xecutor 1 so I use Phoenix to load the new bios).

SpikeMage

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2003, 11:19:00 PM »

sad.gif

xilicio

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2003, 11:38:00 PM »

sad.gif

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2003, 08:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (stanneh @ Oct 30 2003, 02:52 AM)
if its a new media check they failed to make it effective in pal machines as it plays fine for me tsop flashed and running evox d6 bios.

hey I had my box modded also and the guy that did the work did the mechassault savegame hack and I have Evox d6ef running also.  I have never had any problems with any game.  I have a NTSC machine.  So have you had any problems with games with ur setup since it is just like mine pretty much.  I was getting a little worried because people were saying that softmods are going away.  I don't understand the difference between the modchip and my box?

digitalman42

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »

Gronad, you post doesn't make any sense, I have a mod chip myself you idiot, I just dont have it installed in my xbox.  If this patch is so simple then why hasn't anyone patched it yet? soft mod users still cannot play it off of there hard drive.

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2003, 01:13:00 PM »

nez the difference is a chip is ALOT harder to bypass since it is directly plugged into the hardware of the xbox,, thus using hardware to override any software..

a software mod is just that, software,, and all it takes is software to override it.. and even worse, since certain aspects of it are kept in ram,, they may be squashed from the ram by software too.

also, the biggest fear is that MS will use a stealth installer to check your xbox drives for anything non xbox,, or more so,, evox or softmod related and kill it, and update your xbox with the latest M$ software,, thus giving you a regular retail xbox.

and since we all know that the retail cd works fine from ANY XBOX softmod or chip mod.  please stop ssaying it works fine for you,, its confusing alot of people. including me,, cuz i never know if your talking about your playing from backup or retail disk...
hell even my retail disk works fine.

back that sucker up to your hard drive,, patch the xbe file and try to play it,, you said youd do that 2 days ago lol.

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (LESTAT @ Oct 30 2003, 05:13 PM)
nez the difference is a chip is ALOT harder to bypass since it is directly plugged into the hardware of the xbox,, thus using hardware to override any software..

a software mod is just that, software,, and all it takes is software to override it.. and even worse, since certain aspects of it are kept in ram,, they may be squashed from the ram by software too.

also, the biggest fear is that MS will use a stealth installer to check your xbox drives for anything non xbox,, or more so,, evox or softmod related and kill it, and update your xbox with the latest M$ software,, thus giving you a regular retail xbox.

and since we all know that the retail cd works fine from ANY XBOX softmod or chip mod.  please stop ssaying it works fine for you,, its confusing alot of people. including me,, cuz i never know if your talking about your playing from backup or retail disk...
hell even my retail disk works fine.

back that sucker up to your hard drive,, patch the xbe file and try to play it,, you said youd do that 2 days ago lol.

sorry, i am a firefighter and work 24 hours at a time.  haven't had time.  Lestat i think mine is a tsop flash. not sure though. the guys that did it know my buddy, so i have never talked to them.  so a tsop is just like having a chip, right?

LESTAT

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »

eerrr kinda,, and its kinda better,, your flashing the onboard bios, not loading one into memory,.
and a firefighter huh,, cool hope your not in So Cal.

i want to do a tsop flash but i hate soldering and am no good at it, otherwise id do it.

hhmm i would rank a tsop right under a modchip.

hhmm how can you check to make sure,, uhm... ftp to your xbox and look at your C drive,, go to the fonts folder and see if you have 2 fonts called bert and ernie.. if they are not there , then you dont have the font exploit.
and if you have the audio exploit i dont think there is a way to tell.. not sure thought.

as for the savegame exploit,, hhmm search around your c f e drives for a linux file,, a file called linux.???  it may also be IN your mech assault save file located  on your E drive under the UDATA folder. look for a folder called 4d530017   look in there see if there are any evox or linux files..

to see if you have a tsop you have to open your xbox remove the dvd and hard drive and look to see if you have an ODD points on your motherboard that are soldered together..  maybe a small wire jumping to points.

alsoo when you turn on your xbox does it show the xbox screen then go right into evox ?,

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2003, 07:46:00 PM »

yep, when i turn my box on, it has the green xbox X and MS under it, then goes right to evox.  my buddy told me that they did something with mech assault save game, and also he mentioned something about 2 wires being soldered from one side of the board to another place. thats all he told me.

nezff

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2003, 08:04:00 PM »

no no, it starts with the regular logo, but i have evox d6ef bios running.  right after the logo it goes into the evox menu.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4