xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1mb Bios Flashing Theory  (Read 69 times)

cmiz

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »

so after TSOPing my 1.0 (even threw in a switch for good measure) several of my friends have been asking for help in doing theirs. because i'm such a good guy, i threw together a little flashing disc with a couple different color schemed bioses for them.

here's my theory. two of them have 1.0's and want a switch (512k bios), 1 of them has a 1.0 and wants dual switches (256k bios) and 1 of them has a 1.0 and for some reason really just does not want a switch (1mb bios).

instead of worrying about different size bioses, is it possible to just use 1mb bioses for everything? when i flashed my 1.0 originally (a 512k bank) i used a 1mb bios and it worked fine. would using only 1mb bioses be a good way of making sure i don't flash the wrong size? or would other complications arise from doing this? just sort of wondering... <

Staple

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:18:00 AM »

if you flash the 1mb thats all u get <

cmiz

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 05:13:00 AM »

the 1mb bios is just  4 256k bioses. i've already flashed one 512k with a 1mb bios and it worked. i was just wondering if 1) problems could arise doing this and 2) if that would work on a 256k <

Albino

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

If your using evox as far as i know, it will make a 256k bios file up to the flashable area, so if you have a switch only 512k is visible for flashing and it will make the 256k up to that, or up to 1mb on the xbox without a switch. If i'm wrong someone please correect me. <

JohnnyHunng

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

cmiz, are u saying u originally flashed ur 1.0 with a 1mb bios that already had a switch fitted? Meaning u flashed a 1mb to a 512kb half of the tsop, if so i would like to know how u pulled that off...

If ur making a flashdisc for just 1.0s/1.1s then a 1mb bios would be fine, then after it's flashed, u fit the switch and flash a 512kb bios to half of it...That's how i know it to work...But that leads back to what u said earlier, if u know a way of flashing a 1mb bios to a banked part of the tsop, which is of course smaller, then ur theory should work...Personally, i don't see how, but if u say so.... <

cmiz

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(JohnnyHunng @ Apr 4 2005, 10:26 AM)
cmiz, are u saying u originally flashed ur 1.0 with a 1mb bios that already had a switch fitted? Meaning u flashed a 1mb to a 512kb half of the tsop, if so i would like to know how u pulled that off...

If ur making a flashdisc for just 1.0s/1.1s then a 1mb bios would be fine, then after it's flashed, u fit the switch and flash a 512kb bios to half of it...That's how i know it to work...But that leads back to what u said earlier, if u know a way of flashing a 1mb bios to a banked part of the tsop, which is of course smaller, then ur theory should work...Personally, i don't see how, but if u say so....

basically, i bridged the points and installed a switch. i wasn't 100% positive the switch was connected well and knew that flashing a 512k to a 1mb would frag it. i recalled somebody posting about if a 1mb was flashed to a switched 1mb TSOP, it would flash for half the time, then zip through the rest and work out fine. so i figured it would be better to use a 1mb so that if the switch weren't on well it would flash the whole TSOP, and if it was connected well, it would only flash half the time. so i just flashed with evox using a 1mb bios...and it worked....don't really know how else to describe how i got it to work.

and yes, when i flip the switch the other way, it starts up with a stock bios.

check here

This post has been edited by cmiz: Apr 4 2005, 07:17 PM <

JohnnyHunng

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »

U are referring to lordvader saying it's funny to watch flashing a 512kb bios to half the tsop in evox....

I still don't see how u pulled it off but if it works eh, try it again smile.gif. <

lordvader129

• Archived User
1mb Bios Flashing Theory
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(JohnnyHunng @ Apr 4 2005, 10:57 AM)
U are referring to lordvader saying it's funny to watch flashing a 512kb bios to half the tsop in evox....

I still don't see how u pulled it off but if it works eh, try it again smile.gif.

it would work with a 1mb bios if you have 0, 1 or 2 switches, since no matter how far you split it the chip is still 1mb (it will always report to the flashing app as 1mb) what happens with the switch it just flashes as much as it can then skips the rest since the rest of the chip is not write enabled (the speeding across half the progress bar deal)

the only thing you want to make sure of is that you are indeed using a mirrored bios and not one that takes up the full 1mb (only x2 4978 fits that case i belive, so just dont use that) and even if you do on accident since you have a switch installed you can just flip to another bank and reflash <