xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Aeon: a New Interface for XBMC  (Read 566 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Aeon: a New Interface for XBMC
« on: July 10, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 10 21:12 EST | News Category: Xbox

From aeoncentral.com:

Aeon is a new interface for Xbox Media Center that revolves entirely around the user, their tastes and their media. Built specifically for HDTV, it uses the very latest features of XBMC's advanced skinning engine, rendering its textures natively at high definition. Aiming to offer full support for all of XBMC's library management and online features, it already boasts unparalleled user control of its information panels and 1080p backdrop changer. Comprehensive animation ensures smooth transitions between all states and windows, from Movie and TV libraries to Photo Walls and User Customisation.

Aeon began life under the project title Xephyr, and is currently in the late "alpha" stages of development. While its design direction is established and its feature-set largely complete, there's still work to be done on vew types, user customisation and file management. As such, no bug reports are being requested at this time, though feature requests are still being considered. As the project enters its beta stage (planned for February 2008), a more rigorous process of public bug-testing and visual refinement will begin. A final version of Aeon is expected no later than Christmas 2008, by which time it should look substantially better than it does at present.

The alpha version of Aeon includes the following features:
    * Fully animated Video browser w/ transparencies and drop shadows
    * Home page links including Movies, TV Shows, Pictures, Music, Games etc.
    * User-customisable, cross-fading backdrops for all viewtypes and Home options
    * Home page scroller w/ unique inline Settings options
    * User setup of Home page menu options
    * Interface-wide display of time/date and, optionally, local weather
    * Database library views for Movies and TV Show series/episodes
    * Fullscreen "Wall" views for pictures and videos
    * Discreet, interface-wide "Now Playing" panels
    * Unique "Roller" object for music album covers
    * Inline (i.e. no popup or dialog box) context menu for media views
    * Optional cosmetic effects including screen decorations and fullscreen vignetting
    * Unique "live tutorial" panels for every major screen and function

Official Site: http://www.aeoncentral.com (thx to Hydraulix for the news)
Download: http://www.aeoncentral.com (x-scene mirror (Alpha 11b))

penguin318

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »

Looks great  beerchug.gif

greenday54261

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

This looks utterly beautiful.

I swear XBMC is going to be what tips me over the edge and convinces me to get back into the scene and mod my second old Xbox.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

cool. I think I am going to have to blow the dust off my old Xbox to check this out.

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »

Holy friggen hell yea, where the hell did i put that old beater box?

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »

i have been testing Aeon for the past few months and am quite impressed - still hasn't overtaken the default xbmc skin for me just yet, but it is very close and definitely has the "wow" factor to impress those new to xbmc...

thanks for continued development on a great media center...

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

Built specifically for HDTV

What??? How the heck does it do HDTV, or do they just mean the skin outputs still images at HDTV resolution?  My understanding was that the xbox1 will just never be capable of HDTV.

mcatrage

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

It's a great skin but I still use PM3 on my xbox but when linux xbmc is ready for morons like me I'll definitely switch to this skin with my HTPC because this skin is made for true HD along with HD content.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Jul 11 2008, 05:37 AM) View Post

What??? How the heck does it do HDTV, or do they just mean the skin outputs still images at HDTV resolution?  My understanding was that the xbox1 will just never be capable of HDTV.

Xbox 1 is capable of doing 720p and 1080i. Almost no games support those resolutions and I am sure it wont render video files much over 480p but the dashboard should have no trouble doing 720p.

KnottyMan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »

I run XBMC in 720p and looks great.  1080i is a bit much for it and chunks sometimes, mainly on the animated transitions.

It can play low bitrate HD resolution vids, but again chunks with high motion scenes.

h264 it does not like, xvid FTW.

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jul 11 2008, 01:11 AM) View Post

Xbox 1 is capable of doing 720p and 1080i. Almost no games support those resolutions and I am sure it wont render video files much over 480p but the dashboard should have no trouble doing 720p.

Yep, the xbox1 will not only display XBMC in HD, it'll also upconvert your DVD's to 720p or 1080i. You'll need HD component cables though. Unfortunately it generally won't play true HD video though. 720p will drop frames and 1080p freezes altogether.

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »

Yeah I went and read the site, when it comes to High Def they're talking mostly about the Linux version of it.  Guess I'll have get back into Linux, if I really want to try this out.

sgr215

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »

This reminds me how bad I want to build a HTPC. I just spent a lot on a new panny plasma... must resist the urge to spend more.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

This post has been edited by sgr215: Jul 11 2008, 08:02 AM

djdafreund

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »

So far after playing around with it tonight, or morning i guess smile.gif, it's pretty nice. Very nice job overall. Can't wait to see the finish product. Can't wait till wide banner support is added to TV Shows.

I did notice it freezes in both 1080i and 720p modes frequently when in Wall view and also won't play video's, due to the fact that memory is running out. (Freemem:0-1MB shown on my LCD screen), but that could be since i use 386 sized icons. However when using with Back-Row, it never drops below 16-17MB, granted there's also not more then 18-20 on the screen at the same time either.
  Which is why i found 386 being perfect, since 512 sized was doing that even on Back-Row, and 386 still looks REALLY nice and clear in detail anyway.

Great job so far, will this hopefully be added to the SVN? So some of us junkies can get daily/weekly updates on each progress? smile.gif

Sirdude

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »

Looks nice!
But i cant get my xbmc dash to let me use the 720p 1080i option i cant mark them sad.gif any ideas ??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4