xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Project Vision 2  (Read 1086 times)

PimpTwzt

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(NineT9mustang @ May 18 2008, 06:14 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Good to see theres a couple that like it!
Now I'll do my best answering you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Project Vision 2 Download & Release
Like Jezz_X said the skin isn't finished. The basics are done (Home/Views/Important Dialogs/OSD), but theres still more minor things that need to be finished. When Vision1 reached this point last year I made a thread like this & let everyone know a skin was in the works... a few weeks later the skin was released. Unlike Sony's products, this won't get delayed again and again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Project Vision 2 Music OSD
I do have an alternate Music/Video OSD... I'll post it here some time and you tell me which you prefer... I enjoy the OSD it currently has, but I also like the other one... you'll see soon

Wide Banners on Right for TV Shows
Agreed, I do like the Wide Icon list idea a lot, would be nice to see. This would be up to Jezz_X if he wants to add it to the skin. I understand if he doesn't, I'm fine either way.

4:3
Please listen carefully (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I completly understand where you guys are coming from, I have been using 4x3 for the past 5 years! I recently switched to HD/16:9 a few months ago. I know what its like wanting a skin for 4x3, and trust me, I would love to cater to you guys but:

Like mentioned in my original post, This skin was designed from the ground up in 720p & Library Mode (aka The best part of XBMC). With this said, theres so much information on the screen, the fonts are small, and everything fits perfect for 720p. IF we WERE to convert this skin for 4x3, the skin will not work or atleast look right.

(IMG:http://pics.apartment808.com/users/Vision/4X3.jpg)

Take that DVD View for example You have so much information on the left hand side, then you have a full blown dvd poster in the middle, and then a big list to the right. If this were to be viewed on a 4x3 TV, things would go completly wrong. The fonts would be larger, the information would be bigger, and the layout would be cut off, thus not looking right. So its not really about us not caring about 4x3, or simply not wanting to put effort because we dont use it... The simply fact is, it wont look right.

BUT theres good news... The XBMC community is large, theres people always modding skins to cater their own personal needs. I can guarentee you someone out there will rework the xml needed and get 4x3 working... because theres so many of you 4x3 users. Ive already had a few PM's from people saying they will attempt to get 4x3 working... I dont know if it will look right, but hopefully. Either way, you will get your 4x3 Vision2

In Conclusion
I apreciate every persons feedback on the skin. They are all great ideas, some I know will get added (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Just remember this is what the skin looks like now. This isn't final. Things will change with all the feedback, for the better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm not sure if you remember, but Vision1 saw change from the original screenshots to the release build. Then it saw even more change as you guys all tried the skin out and gave more feedback.

So we need feedback before the release, during the release, and after the release...So keep those comments flowing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Understood. But what about just not including this new library view you have created for the 4:3 version? THe rest of the skin can be cropped for 4:3 couldnt it? Just not the library view you have shown. Seems simple enough lol But then again i dont fully understand the fundamentals behind your skin or XBMC for that matter lol.
Basically I love your work, I havent stopped using V1 since you released it, and the same would happen with V2 provided i could get it to work on my tv lol.
If anything maybe I gave somone an idea so if you do it, Jezz does it, or somone else... Thanks!

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 19 2008, 05:21 PM) *

here is an actual screenshot of it running in PAL16x9 open it up on your xbox sit back and see if you can read it then that will answer your question

(IMG:http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/4994/screenshot022sr9.jpg)

You know what, that looks like 16:9 squished to 4:3... not to bad.

I just tryed it on my tv, it is squished to 4:3... and you know what... I can read the words too... THat could work too.

This post has been edited by PimpTwzt: May 20 2008, 03:16 AM

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 08:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(JoeUser38 @ May 20 2008, 12:10 PM) View Post

Hey, Jezz, I've been searching all over the web for the answer to this, figured you might know... Is there a way to have XBMC scale a 720P skin for a 4:3 screen, using "letterbox" format?  Seems it should be possible, since XBMC can already do scaling.  If not, might this be a feasible request to be added to XBMC?

No other than mucking around with screen calibration why would you want half the screen black anyway ? just use a modern 4x3 skin like say PM3 or mc360 or Basics-Vision

QUOTE(PimpTwzt @ May 20 2008, 12:47 PM) View Post

Understood. But what about just not including this new library view you have created for the 4:3 version? THe rest of the skin can be cropped for 4:3 couldnt it? Just not the library view you have shown. Seems simple enough lol But then again i dont fully understand the fundamentals behind your skin or XBMC for that matter lol.
Basically I love your work, I havent stopped using V1 since you released it, and the same would happen with V2 provided i could get it to work on my tv lol.
If anything maybe I gave somone an idea so if you do it, Jezz does it, or somone else... Thanks!
You know what, that looks like 16:9 squished to 4:3... not to bad.

I just tryed it on my tv, it is squished to 4:3... and you know what... I can read the words too... THat could work too.

Thats because thats exactly what 16x9 is 4x3 stretched out let me explain the pixel size stuff

PAL 4x3 = 720x576

PAL 16x9 = 720x576 with a width pixel ascpectratio of about 1.3 from 4x3(meaning each pixel gets stretched out it 1.3 times it original size)

NTSC 4x3 = 720x480

NTSC 16x9 = 720x480 with a width pixel ascpectratio of about 1.3  from 4x3(meaning each pixel gets stretched out it 1.3 times it original size)

720p = 1280x720 Pixel aspect ratio of 1 so everything is exactly as it should be
1080i/1080p = 1920x1080 same as 720p

DVD's are the same all PAL dvd's are 720x576 and all NTSC ones are 720x480 no matter if they are 4x3 or 16x9 the only difference is when showing them on your 16x9 TV your player stretches out the aspectratio
So in real life you actually get a crisper picture in standard defintition 4x3 than you would ever get in 16x9 because its not stretched out.  Problem is less width which is why 720p is the next best step up because its true 16x9 not just stretched out 4x3

Think I ranted too much  tongue.gif

halloween119

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(PimpTwzt @ May 18 2008, 02:49 AM) *

Myself i have a 2001 36" Sony Wega

I have that exact TV, not sure the year though so I guess I shouldn't say exact. Anyway I have been using it in the 16:9"Enhanced Mode"(in the setup menu) Most of my movies/TV are wide screen anyway.   Dont know if that helps you or not. Oh and here's kind of a crappy pic of it in action, black bars and all.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/DavidAPowell/SDI1I9cV....JPG?imgmax=576

PimpTwzt

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 19 2008, 08:17 PM) View Post

No other than mucking around with screen calibration why would you want half the screen black anyway ? just use a modern 4x3 skin like say PM3 or mc360 or Basics-Vision
Thats because thats exactly what 16x9 is 4x3 stretched out let me explain the pixel size stuff

PAL 4x3 = 720x576

PAL 16x9 = 720x576 with a width pixel ascpectratio of about 1.3 from 4x3(meaning each pixel gets stretched out it 1.3 times it original size)

NTSC 4x3 = 720x480

NTSC 16x9 = 720x480 with a width pixel ascpectratio of about 1.3  from 4x3(meaning each pixel gets stretched out it 1.3 times it original size)

720p = 1280x720 Pixel aspect ratio of 1 so everything is exactly as it should be
1080i/1080p = 1920x1080 same as 720p
DVD's are the same all PAL dvd's are 720x576 and all NTSC ones are 720x480 no matter if they are 4x3 or 16x9 the only difference is when showing them on your 16x9 TV your player stretches out the aspectratio
So in real life you actually get a crisper picture in standard defintition 4x3 than you would ever get in 16x9 because its not stretched out.  Problem is less width which is why 720p is the next best step up because its true 16x9 not just stretched out 4x3

Think I ranted too much  tongue.gif

Oh... Well thats suckie... lol

QUOTE(halloween119 @ May 19 2008, 08:51 PM) View Post

I have that exact TV, not sure the year though so I guess I shouldn't say exact. Anyway I have been using it in the 16:9"Enhanced Mode"(in the setup menu) Most of my movies/TV are wide screen anyway.   Dont know if that helps you or not. Oh and here's kind of a crappy pic of it in action, black bars and all.
http://lh3.ggpht.com....JPG?imgmax=576

Well poop... I think yours is newer. Mine has the buttons on the top and has no 16:9 Enhanced Mode. :-/

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 19 2008, 09:17 PM) *

Well, it would be a way to test out the 720P skins.  Unfortunately, I can't do it by mucking around with the calibration, because I can't figure out how to force it to let me pick the 720P version of a skin (I believe my only options are "NTSC 4:3" and "Auto").  Think about it, it would get rid of nearly all the "please support 4:3" posts if we could "emulate" 720P by scaling.  And half the screen being black never bothered me on wide-screen movies.  Obviously we wouldn't get the resolution, and some skins might not look great scaled down, but it would be nice to have the option.

This post has been edited by JoeUser38: May 20 2008, 05:47 AM

fedora

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »

(IMG:http://s3.supload.com/files/default/Pictures.jpg)

Hmm take a look at the thumbs. I like the icons layout more then this PMIII images on main menu, for sure

1st (PS3 style), 5th, 6th and 7th are great!

Amazing skin btw, looking forward!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 19 2008, 07:17 PM) View Post

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

How territorial of you, Jezz. :-D

fedora

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(fedora @ May 21 2008, 04:01 AM) *

(IMG:http://s3.supload.com/files/default/Pictures.jpg)

Hmm take a look at the thumbs. I like the icons layout more then this PMIII images on main menu, for sure

1st (PS3 style), 5th, 6th and 7th are great!

Amazing skin btw, looking forward!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

Pic link *no hotlink support*  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

http://s3.supload.com/free/Pictures.jpg/view/

shizzle01

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »

omg if this skin doensnt get released to 4:3 im going to kill myself  rolleyes.gif

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(shizzle01 @ May 21 2008, 02:51 PM) View Post

omg if this skin doensnt get released to 4:3 im going to kill myself  rolleyes.gif

There!  See NineT9Mustang and Jezz_X?  You don't want to be responsible for THAT, do you? uhh.gif

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(shizzle01 @ May 22 2008, 06:51 AM) View Post

I can live with myself best go do it now then and get it over with because I personally wont be making this skin work in 4x3

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jezz_X @ May 21 2008, 05:27 PM) View Post

I can live with myself best go do it now then and get it over with because I personally wont be making this skin work in 4x3

Sniff... goodbye, Shizzle01...  huh.gif

djdafreund

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

Well, i guess we can put up his 50inch 4x3 on eBay and see what we can get for it then.  tongue.gif

Don't worry JoeUser, there's always other good skins out there that work on 4x3, FOR NOW. But the good news is, you can still get a digital box mandated by Feb.17,2009 to still be able to use your tv other then xbox/dvd/blueray, since it won't work with airwaves anymore. In case you aren't THAT behind.

Man, can't wait to see more pictures of Vision 2. Looks  fanf*ckintastic!!!

JoeUser38

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(djdafreund @ May 21 2008, 07:20 PM) View Post

Well, i guess we can put up his 50inch 4x3 on eBay and see what we can get for it then.  tongue.gif

Don't worry JoeUser, there's always other good skins out there that work on 4x3, FOR NOW. But the good news is, you can still get a digital box mandated by Feb.17,2009 to still be able to use your tv other then xbox/dvd/blueray, since it won't work with airwaves anymore. In case you aren't THAT behind.

Man, can't wait to see more pictures of Vision 2. Looks  fanf*ckintastic!!!

Naw, I'm not killing myself, that was Shizzle01.  Sad news, that.

Oh, and I suppose I will have to get rid of those rabbit ears on that TV.

(just kidding, have two DVR's on it)

PimpTwzt

• Archived User
Project Vision 2
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »

OH THE HUMANITY!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8