xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xmonitor Script?  (Read 462 times)

flautash

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

pimp

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »

doesnt work for me either.... hangs at the main screen..... would be nice if anyone knew how to work it

flautash

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 04:55:00 PM »

blink.gif

flautash

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 04:59:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

you can find it is on the author's page HERE.

regards.

bong888

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

thanx for the info m8
i got it working

is there any to change the resolution
or size of the screen iv looked but cant seem to find any thing

showing as a small window on screen

any help

alexpoet

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »

I'm working on higher resolution support, but I don't have a TV that'll do anything above 720x480, which makes testing very difficult. I THOUGHT I had in a solution, but it's not really working. Even if it were, though, the screenshots would still be crappy. They'd just be LARGER crappy screenshots.

I'm currently using a very simple screenshot function called ImageGrab which (I believe) only takes screenshots at 72 dpi. Now that I've got the basic script working, it'll be easier to devote the time and energy to finding a better way of getting screenshots at a higher res.

I've also heard there's a problem with the script frequently flashing the splash screen on anything less than a perfect LAN, and I've come up with a solution for that problem, too, but haven't implemented it yet.

If things go well, maybe I'll have a new version in a week. Then again, it was about four months between the last two versions, so who knows?

Alexpoet

bong888

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

alexpoet

• Archived User
Xmonitor Script?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »

By the way, there's a new issue I just discovered. XMonitor won't work with a Linux computer, at the moment. Or, it's not supposed to. I haven't gotten any specific complaints about that yet, but it might be the undiscussed reason for some of the problems people have had.

I'm using a simple, convenient screenshot function that, I just learned, only works on Windows systems.

What I've decided to do is keep XMonitor mostly as-is, for non-HD, Windows users (I'm going to add some error handling to keep it from flashing the splash screen too often, though). Then I'm also going to develop an "XMonitor HD" variant which will capture higher-resolution screen shots (whatever res your PC's display is set to) and send THEM, instead of the 72 dpi images that my current function creates.

And, totally unrelated to HD, the type of screenshot utility I'll use there SHOULD work for Linux. It'll take me a while to be sure, because I don't have a Linux box to test on, but from what I've read that should be pretty easy to get working. So Linux users OR HD users can make use of "XMonitor HD" once it's out.

Of course, higher-res screenshots will take longer to transfer, so it will be a slower refresh rate and longer lag than the normal script, but at much higher image quality. Maybe it'll be worth it. We'll see.