xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Xbmc .strm Collection Started On Code.google.com  (Read 348 times)

akaigotchi

• Archived User
Xbmc .strm Collection Started On Code.google.com
« on: January 26, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »

Hey everybody,

I just started a new project on code.google.com called xbmc-strm-collection, which is a collection of broadband (200k+) LIVE video streams that are tested and ready to use for XBMC. The project resource can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-strm-collection/

Right now you will find around 60 working and tested channels in .strm format from 11 countries. Not much, but I just started and I will be continuing to extend and to keep this collection up-to-date. The project SVN trunk can be viewed here:

http://xbmc-strm-collection.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

If you feel that any country / channel is missing, feel free to PM me on this board or via the email found on project page. If any channel seems broken, plz PM me aswell.

If you want more information on the project I also started a project blog on blogspot (http://xbmc-streams.XS Filter - 102806 - 4) in which I will regularly post updates on the project (e.g. major channel updates or development updates). Right now you will find a basic project description in there and a basic tutorial on how to get those valuable .strm files to your XBOX.

Future planning goes as far as to write a XBMC python script which will use the project's database as source for streaming video channels (similar to WorldTV but with a more actual database).

Of course such a project cannot be maintained by one person alone. If you want to team up with me, just go ahead and write me a PM in which you describe how you want to contribute to the project. I am looking forward to make contact with you.

Any input on the project is welcome!

Have fun with your XBMC!

This post has been edited by akaigotchi: Jan 26 2007, 11:45 AM

wetzelman1

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

ok, so I got these to work. I tried searching around for some other strm's but don't really know where to be looking. Google seems to come up empty. Where should I be looking?

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »

This is a great idea btw.

timdog did a nice stream pack for xbmc awhile back...more information on that pack can be found here:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=510683

A mirror of his streampack can be found at my site here:
http://antihero.com/...treaming_TV.rar

I'll take a indepth look at the google code site a bit later...I had a similar idea for webcam streams i was gonna compile, but an all-one-site would be great.

akaigotchi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(wetzelman1 @ Jan 26 2007, 04:25 PM) *

ok, so I got these to work. I tried searching around for some other strm's but don't really know where to be looking. Google seems to come up empty. Where should I be looking?

Hey wetzelman1,

thanks for testing the streams so far. If you are looking for more streaming media directories some of the better ones to name are www.channelchooser.com, www.streamick.com and www.wwitv.com. Of course there are hundreds of forums online and I am trying to get hold of more and more sources as I surf around the net. If you find any good source for streaming media just let me know I will be happy to integrate them to my search routine.

But you know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) adding channels is one thing, testing them and looking after them is another. So I am relying on your help and of everybody else's help reading this: I NEED input if all the streams work properly, because as the collection will be growing vastly within the next few weeks it will be impossible for me to keep looking after all those little .strm files. So plz PM me if any .strm is broken as this keeps up the quality of the collection.

If you feel like adding channels, just go ahead, can need your help aswell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Just PM channels you think would have to be in the collection, I will be adding them asap...

Cheers
akaigotchi

QUOTE(mike315 @ Jan 26 2007, 06:52 PM) *

timdog did a nice stream pack for xbmc awhile back...more information on that pack can be found here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=510683

Hey mike315,

thanks for commendations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I will check on that .strm-collection you mentioned and try to add as many streams to my collection as possible.

I'll take a indepth look at the google code site a bit later...I had a similar idea for webcam streams i was gonna compile, but an all-one-site would be great.

If you wanna team up, just give me a PM. I think splitting the trunk and making a folder for TV streams and one for webcams wouldn't be a great deal and could be a nice addition. Just give me a call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers
akaigotchi

PS: First major project update coming up tonight....

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(akaigotchi @ Jan 26 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Hey mike315,

thanks for commendations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I will check on that .strm-collection you mentioned and try to add as many streams to my collection as possible.
If you wanna team up, just give me a PM. I think splitting the trunk and making a folder for TV streams and one for webcams wouldn't be a great deal and could be a nice addition. Just give me a call (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers
akaigotchi

I replied to you here, this way we can keep the thread alive, and exchange some idea in the open...with hopes to spark interest...i'll pm you with my gmail so you can add me to the project. But we should try to keep in depth ideas flowing here...with hopes of attracting more help.

Another idea I had, was to start collecting traffic cams also. Some of the bigger cities have live traffic cams, although the methods of streaming vary quite a bit and im still researching it all. Some use mms, some use java applets, some use jpgs that update every second, etc etc. Unfortunately a good portion only use jpgs that are updated every few minutes...which is of course useless to us.

On the more traditional webcam side, there are several large universities that have webcams up....and i think thats where i'll likely start compiling .strm's.

check your pm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(mike315 @ Jan 26 2007, 09:52 AM) *

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=510683

A mirror of his streampack can be found at my site here:
http://antihero.com/xbmc/Streaming_TV.rar

I haven't updated this and quite a while, and unbeknownst to me, somebody started taking over my thread and then it ended up being closed, but anyway, somebody mentioned on there that the ess.tv stream database was shutdown, which i personally thought was the best part of my streampack, and seeing that the website no longer seems to exist, it would appear that they are correct...I have yet to actually test this out in XBMC though.  So, just a heads up

akaigotchi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(timdog82001 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:22 AM) *

I haven't updated this and quite a while, and unbeknownst to me, somebody started taking over my thread and then it ended up being closed, but anyway, somebody mentioned on there that the ess.tv stream database was shutdown, which i personally thought was the best part of my streampack, and seeing that the website no longer seems to exist, it would appear that they are correct...I have yet to actually test this out in XBMC though.  So, just a heads up

I tried to download the .strm pack for integration in the collection from the url given in the forum thread and from mike's server but neither of them seemed to work. Mike, could you plz check your MIME settings on your webserver? Seems like the .rar is being parsed as .html (one of the default settings of apache though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ) or try to mail the pack to me so I can snoop through it.  

Just to let you know: I am glad to have you people helping me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW, there has been a major change to the pack last night:

Chi3f from the XBMC skinning project XTV has donated folder icons with each country's flag on it (ONCE AGAIN A BIG THANK YOU!!!!), so that if you change your folder view to "big icons" you will be seeing those wonderfully designed country flags. If you want to have a glimpse on what they look like and want to have further information on that topic visit http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-strm-collection/ and go to the project blog from there (cannot post any link to the original blogspot blog in here.... dunno why).

Another major channel update aswell as a very handy tool (also a donation from Chi3f) is planned for tomorrow night, so stay tuned.... Other things on my to-do list incorporate writing wiki pages with how-tos (How-to get those files from SVN, How-to get those files to your XBOX, How-to get those country icons to show up in XBMC) and adding more content to the collection.

And last but not least I would like welcome mike315 as a new project member. He will be taking care of the newly founded webcam section within the collection. I am curious to see to which corners of the world he will be taking us (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So that's all for now. Try to check back here or the project blog on http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-strm-collection/ as often as possible as things are developing really fast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Still, if you like to join the team just post me a PM. I will be happy to hear from you.

akaigotchi

This post has been edited by akaigotchi: Jan 27 2007, 12:16 PM

Hudson_Hawk04

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(akaigotchi @ Jan 26 2007, 01:26 PM) *

Hey wetzelman1,

thanks for testing the streams so far. If you are looking for more streaming media directories some of the better ones to name are www.channelchooser.com, www.streamick.com and www.wwitv.com. Of course there are hundreds of forums online and I am trying to get hold of more and more sources as I surf around the net. If you find any good source for streaming media just let me know I will be happy to integrate them to my search routine.

But you know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) adding channels is one thing, testing them and looking after them is another. So I am relying on your help and of everybody else's help reading this: I NEED input if all the streams work properly, because as the collection will be growing vastly within the next few weeks it will be impossible for me to keep looking after all those little .strm files. So plz PM me if any .strm is broken as this keeps up the quality of the collection.

If you feel like adding channels, just go ahead, can need your help aswell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Just PM channels you think would have to be in the collection, I will be adding them asap...

Cheers
akaigotchi
Hey mike315,

Cheers
akaigotchi

How do I pull the streams off the site(www.wwitv.com) to make individual stream files? cant seem to figure it out. Thanks for your help...hope this project really takes off it has alot of potential.

This post has been edited by Hudson_Hawk04: Jan 27 2007, 02:50 PM

akaigotchi

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hudson_Hawk04 @ Jan 27 2007, 02:50 PM) *

How do I pull the streams off the site(www.wwitv.com) to make individual stream files? cant seem to figure it out. Thanks for your help...hope this project really takes off it has alot of potential.

I am going to cover this topic in the project wiki, but meanwhile try to use the following instruction:

1. Go to http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mous...oper/index.html and get URLSnooper. Follow the directions for downloading, installing and registering (it's free, but the guys want you to register at their forum or to donate or to receive a free license key, READ CLOSELY!).

2. After installation of URLSnooper fire it up and start sniffing your incoming network traffic.

3. Go to http://www.wwitv.com and open the stream you would like to catch

4. You will see several URLs showing up in URLSnooper. If you stop the stream e.g. in WindowsMediaPlayer there will be a mms://something URL at the bottom of the list. This is your destination. Right click the URL and copy it to your clipboard.

5. Open a blank text file with notepad and paste the URL into it. Save the file as something.strm

6. FTP to your XBOX and see if it works and if the quality is decent.

7. If you think it should be in the collection go to the project page (see my signature) and post me a msg. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you have further questions covering this topic, feel free to PM me.

akaigotchi

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »

akaigotchi

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike315 @ Jan 28 2007, 03:52 PM) *

Hey mike,

thank you for the link. I am sorry to say I already got that one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

BTW, we urgently need someone who speaks fluent French! If YOU are capable of that language (sorry, my French is completely out of practice) please PM me!!!!! I'd be happy if you could do me a favor and translate something for the project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As stated earlier there is a major channel update planned for tonight (currently 30 channels), so stay tuned...

Cheers akaigotchi

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

I think there was somebody on team blackbolt that did a lot of translating and communication with the French Community, you might try contacting him.  You can see all the members on the team page, i think he's on there anyway

vanadium

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(mike315 @ Jan 28 2007, 10:52 AM) *

Thanks for pointing my .strm pack out; akaigotchi and I are actually collaborating to find additional streams to test and implement. I'm busy moving to Chicago over the next couple of weeks, but will be more active thereafter.

In any case, getting a centralized and consistently-updated *.strm pack is just what the doctor ordered. The main obstacle this project hopes to overcome -- at least, in my opinion -- is getting these streams tested. It's harder than it sounds, considering:

1. Some international live television streams are part-time only, and thus have to be tested multiple times rather than once.

2. Not only that, some are down intermittently due to technical issues and come back up, say, up to a even a week later. So they have to be tested, again, multiple times -- over considerable time -- before removing them from the repository.

3. Some streams may not work yet, but will in future versions of mplayer. So we have to keep those in mind for future re-testing. By finding streams that work on the PC version of mplayer but not XBMC's, a lot of people stand to possibly benefit by exposing little bugs that may have been previously overlooked by and for XBMC mplayer devs.

4. Some people are using older versions of mplayer which may impede the ability to play some feeds. The experimental mplayer fixes most of those issues, but still, we need to make sure that streams are working as of a reasonable version and be sure to weed out outage reports for those using older versions.

5. If a stream goes down, we need to see if there's an updated link either on the channel's website or elsewhere. That takes time and effort.

...and so on.

So, putting our minds together and getting a process rolling will be of much benefit to the greater community. My focus is almost exclusively International Television, but have put in a few other streams here and there for my personal benefit (like the MST3K Channel form Shoutcast Video). Standardizing the way we categorize these kinds of streams will be helpful, obviously.

In any case, here's hoping we get a good project rolling here. I personally enjoy the streaming capabilities of XBMC almost more than any other facet -- especially when it comes to International TV.

This post has been edited by vanadium: Jan 28 2007, 09:24 PM

akaigotchi

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(vanadium @ Jan 28 2007, 09:16 PM) *

Thanks for pointing my .strm pack out; akaigotchi and I are actually collaborating to find additional streams to test and implement. I'm busy moving to Chicago over the next couple of weeks, but will be more active thereafter.

Absolutely true, I am already looking forward to the time, when you are finished moving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

In any case, getting a centralized and consistently-updated *.strm pack is just what the doctor ordered. The main obstacle this project hopes to overcome -- at least, in my opinion -- is getting these streams tested.

Full ack, the problem isn't getting people to add streams, but to test them or to report them as broken. I am trying to figure out how the issue tracking system of google code works and will try to write a wiki article on that asap. BTW, I was just having an interesting talk with blittan who suggested that a python script should be written that checks via SVN lib and urllib whether a channel is still alive and if so reports that. I will be writing such a script in PHP at the weekend and will be using it as my internal "bugtracker". The script will write an error log to my database and so I can keep the SVN updated. This also eliminates the problem of multiple tests by users. Looking at this week's schedule I think I can free some time for it at the weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Meanwhile we are relying on everybody who reads this to report broken channels.

1. Some international live television streams are part-time only, and thus have to be tested multiple times rather than once.

2. Not only that, some are down intermittently due to technical issues and come back up, say, up to a even a week later. So they have to be tested, again, multiple times -- over considerable time -- before removing them from the repository.

These problems could be eliminated via the script I stated above...

3. Some streams may not work yet, but will in future versions of mplayer. So we have to keep those in mind for future re-testing. By finding streams that work on the PC version of mplayer but not XBMC's, a lot of people stand to possibly benefit by exposing little bugs that may have been previously overlooked by and for XBMC mplayer devs.

Right now as I harvest channels I keep a separate folder with channels that work on my PC but not my XBOX.

4. Some people are using older versions of mplayer which may impede the ability to play some feeds. The experimental mplayer fixes most of those issues, but still, we need to make sure that streams are working as of a reasonable version and be sure to weed out outage reports for those using older versions.

I think we should lay out a minimum specification. Right now I am testing on the 01-02-2007 SVN build by T3CH and I am not using the EXPERIMENTAL mplayer.dll for obvious reasons. I wouldn't test on the experimental mplayer until it is officially merged into SVN trunk.

5. If a stream goes down, we need to see if there's an updated link either on the channel's website or elsewhere. That takes time and effort.

I thought about splitting that work up on several people... Everyone of them is responsible for a small set of countries, so that the work load doesn't get too much on them. They could be informed via mail that channels have gone down and that it is their task to report back new streaming urls.

So, putting our minds together and getting a process rolling will be of much benefit to the greater community. My focus is almost exclusively International Television, but have put in a few other streams here and there for my personal benefit (like the MST3K Channel form Shoutcast Video). Standardizing the way we categorize these kinds of streams will be helpful, obviously.

I think we already have something rolling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My focus is International Television aswell. I think as far as categorization is concerned we should be sticking to country categories incl. a category "Webcams" for, well that's obvious (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) , webcams (subcategories are crucial here!) and a category named "Other" (maybe that one with subcategories as "Movies", "Sports",...) for streams we cannot by any country, as the source of the stream is unknown (as it is with many good shoutcast streaming sources...). IMHO we shouldn't split categorization up further as more and more categories render the collection useless...

BTW, as promised there's a major channel update available:

The new channels are from Italy, Sweden, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States, namely we have 30 more channels inside the collection. All channels are, just as you expect it, tested and fully working in XBMC. Sometimes during testing I had so much fun watching these new channels (some of the Italian ones had full lenght blockbuster movies showing... WOW, even if I didn't understand a word (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) that I had to be forcely drawn off my XBOX so that I would be able to snoop for more streams on the net... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

So see for yourself and enjoy watching the streams from xbmc-strm-collection!

akaigotchi

timdog82001

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

if you make this into a script, maybe you can make it automatically report to your database or whatever when a .strm file doesn't work?  Or, if that didn't work, add some sort of thing where you could just press the white button on an item and some optiosn could pop up, one of which would be "Report Stream as Broken" or something like that.  Of course this would only work if you do eventually release this as a script instead of just a bunch of .strm files.  I think the main thing that would keep people from reporting things when they don't work would be laziness.  If we made it a 5 second process where they didn't even have to get up from their seat, people would be far more likely to do it.

EDIT:  Just realized akaigotchi said pretty much the same thing at the beginning of his post

This post has been edited by timdog82001: Jan 28 2007, 11:44 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5