xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is A Remote Control Worth While In Xbmc  (Read 133 times)

angrypants

• Archived User
Is A Remote Control Worth While In Xbmc
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

I was thinking of getting an xbox dvd remote for xbmc but I'm wondering if it will be worthwhile or not. I also have a RCU300TMS universal remote which you can see linked below. Would it be possible to use this remote with the dvd dongle that comes with the dvd package. If so how would I got about configuring it so that I can get the most out of it.

remote control

One last thing awhile back I remember seeing somthing on the front page the was a little pice of hardware that is installed inside of the xbox. It allowed the remote control to turn the xbox and seemed fairly easy to install. Does anyone have the name of this thing or a link to the website of the company that makes it?

ofbz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »

the litle piece of hardware that allows the remote to turn on and off the xbox is called xir-remote check here...
i have it... and its awsome, now i don't have to move my lazy ass at all lol...

you can use that receiver and any universal remote (set to rca-dvd code) and it will work as the xbox original remote...

the advantages of using an universal remote over the xbox remote... you have more buttons, and you can program them to use them in xbmc...

and you can use it to control the tv too...

angrypants

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

I bought a xbox dvd remote and it is sort of cool to play around with so far. My universal remote is a really cheap rca universal remote but when I first tried it with the xbox some of the buttons worked straight away. I still need to map some of the other buttons to make it really do what I want but I ams starting to figure that out as well. If anyone has any links to tutorials that will help me figure out how to go about maping the buttons better that would be a great help.

cFoo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

This is all you need: http://www.ofausa.com/

stevie_mac

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 03:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (cFoo @ Sep 28 2004, 10:53 PM)
This is all you need: http://www.ofausa.com/

No no no.

Get one like mine...

http://www.remotecen...3000/index.html

(Sorry cFoo, couldn't resist!)

BTW, if you use XBMC regularly, a remote control is (IMO) a must!

angrypants

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »

I already have the remote I just need to figure out how to map the kays better. How do I go about finding the codes for all of the buttons so I can get it going right. I have got it working fairly well by just messing with the keymap thing but I reallyu want to make it so I can map all the buttons on the control I really can't figure out how to map some of the buttons.

flashfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 03:30:00 AM »

remotes are great. especially when playing mp3s, u can control it!

antny

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 08:40:00 AM »

Just wondering if the cheaper versions of Xbox remotes work with XBMC?  I see them on eBay for about £7 ($11) and would get one if i knew it works.

phunzoid

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

yes, the cheapo remotes from E-Bay work fine w/ XBMC...i only paid like $7+shipping for mine (also came w/ 2 free controller extensions)

only problem i had was that the remote itself was very cheaply made, so you had to really aim well at the dongle to get it to work...so i decided to try to use a Universal remote, but couldn't find a pre-programmed code for the E-Bay dongle (it's NOT the same as the official MS dongle)

so wound up buying a "Learning" remote, and just taught it the buttons from the cheapo remote

all works good now   biggrin.gif

Kean

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

I've got a cheap ass remote from ebay and it works fine, my rca remote works too...

CletusTheDwarf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »

anyone know if this remote will work with xbmc?  my only problem with the default xbox remote is the lack of enough buttons to map stuff like volume to it.

hand_of_LAW

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »

If you have a piece of obscure hardware there is always a chance your remote wont be able to operate it, I had that problem so I had to get a "LEARNING REMOTE" If you have mainstream stuff you might get by with one that doesn't learn. Just went thru this process myself and couldnt be happier with my remote, its a must have in my opinion.

D.

beerchug.gif

ps: cletus that one looks good but doesnt look like it learns, bear that in mind !

migito888

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »

So is it possible to map keys in the xbox to understand what the remote control is sending?  I think that was what angrypants was asking.

mrjkwik

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »

i have to agree with cfoo and say get a "one for all" remote.  go to walmart and get the one they have, the 8810w.  it cost like 18 bucks.  its a learning remote.  and its fully customizable.  do a google search for "yahoo jp1" and join the group.  read up.  its just like modding, you can do whatever you want, you just got to learn about it.  but you can completely custom codes, remap the remote, and combined with mapping in xbmc, what you want, is what you get.  if your willing to learn how.

FrightfoO

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

Here's one example:

XBMC Online Manual: ProgramJP1Remotes ...

In this case it definitely needs the dongle.

Note: it's incomplete, but ya get the idea
Pages: [1] 2