xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turning Xbox Into A Gps  (Read 240 times)

goliath013

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« on: October 29, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

Here is what i want to do.

I have a version 1.0 xbox with a 2.2 xecuter chip, evox dashboard and an automotive install.  I would like to try and get "DeLorme Earthmate USB GPS Street Atlas USA 2003" (only $100) working on my box .

I think that it would work if i installed linuk and ran it using wine but was wondering if anyone had done this before.  

Program requires 64megs to run and the xbox has it but should i upgrade?

The program will most likley require a keyboard.  Seeing as 1 usb will be for the gps reciever can i run a usb keboard at the same time?  Does anyone forsee any problems with the usb gps reciever working on the xboxs usb adaptors?

I havent started any of this but am intrested in figuring as much as i can out.

Any help wouldbe greatly oppritiated

Jerry-kun

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 02:32:00 AM »

Actually, I had the same idea, a vehicular system with MP3, video, and GPS in a nice cheap package.  GPS mouse is on its way, but in the meantime, I've gotten iGuidance installed on my xbox under GentooX, using wine.  

I can't be sure it's working fully until my GPS arrives, and I'm a fairly complete linux noob, so I'm certainly happy with the fact that it's already giving me a map of the area near my house and giving me turn-by-turn directions to my girl's house in another state.  

The only problem I ran into was the installer, Installshield and WINE don't play well together.  Given that iGuidance was built for a PPC and ported to Windows from there, it's very light on resources and seems pretty self-contained, so getting it running was pretty simple.  It's got turn-by-turn with voice guidance, speed warnings, and it lets you avoid tolls and highways if you prefer.

I wish you the same luck with Earthmate, but if I can get GPS installed and running, I'd definitely recommend iGuidance if you run into any snags with your software.  Of course, they're both pretty pricey, so if you're on a budget, do your damndest to get that one working, first.  If you're not on a budget, I'd recommend setting up a windows-based PC in it's stead... it's still cheaper than a dedicated GPS package.

This post has been edited by Jerry-kun: Nov 2 2004, 10:33 AM

goliath013

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »

Thanks for the information.  Thats great that you were able to get the software installed.  I would like to know how your usb gps unit works with the system.  

The iguidance does seem to be a better software option. The software I was looking at runs at a minimum 64 but it is suggested that there be more.  

I am currently doing a little research on linux before I dive into purchasing the project but I would be interested to know if you get the system working.

Thanks for the input.

goliath013

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 02:14:00 AM »

What sort of problem did you run into with the installshield?  How did you get by it?

Potato Bob

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

why use wine?
use native linux drivers and software for it

Wine as many ppl dont know is acutall still in its infant ages

Jerry-kun

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 05:50:00 AM »

why use wine?
use native linux drivers and software for it

Well, to tell the truth, that was the original plan, but GPS navigation packages for Linux are few and far between, from what I've noticed.  So far I've only come across topo maps and basic street maps... if that's all I wanted I could just print out directions from Mapquest before I go anywhere.   :D

As for the GPS mouse, I haven't gotten the chance to test it yet... I switched over to GentooX Pro for speed's sake, I wanted to compile something lightweight that'd only do what I need it to... after a few days compiling, I ended up breaking the hell out of my install... like I said, I'm a linux noob.

The installshield issue I attempted to tackle by normal means, but could never get it to do a direct install on my box... so I ended up installing it on my PC, putting the maps and the installed software into a single directory on the box, and attempted to bring it up.  Luckily, it's a simple enough program that it worked that way, nicely.

Now I've just got to get Gentoo back up and running again.

SigTom

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »

http://www.gpsdrive.cc/

Full featured GPS it seems...havent gotten my BlueTooth GPS to connect to my FC2 laptop yet so I havent used it fully, but from what Ive seen, seems like its a good piece of software.

dirkoneill

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »

I am very interested to see how well it works once you get your GPS mouse. I have had my xbox in the car for sometime using XBMC. I was looking around for a decent gps option and the best software seemed to be TomTom but they only work on handhelds.  I like the iguidance because of the 3d navigation like tomtom. Is that in the version taht you are using because the only screen shots i saw of iguidance were of the pocketpc client. Anyway let me us know how it goes because i would love to have a dual hardrive setup in my car so i could have gps.

jonas1

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

I'm also working on the same thing (putting Xbox in my car for GPS+).  Another product is Roadmap. I haven't done much yet, but the other thing I was thinking about was TomTom Navigator products for WinCE -- anyone get those to run yet.

Off topic, but regarding Xbox in car -- since the Xbox is a 12V unit, is there any where to bypass the Xbox PSU and hardwire the Xbox to the car battery? I've heard of this done with PS2, and was wondering if anyone had done it with Xbox yet...

kollision

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 08:08:00 PM »

Hey Jonas,

You need to get a power inverter, whcih changes the volatage to fit the car.

xitius

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

Anyone got gps working ?

bSOXm00der

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

pretty sweet idea tho muhaha.gif

statement

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »

any word  

Jerry-kun

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 04:50:00 AM »

Sorry, I've been kinda busy lately with the launch of the Nintendo DS, and all of this holiday season's releases (Halo2, Half-Life2, MGS3: Snake Eater, etc).  I'm a gamer first and a techno-geek second, heh.

The system is complete save for one element... WINE does not like USB devices.  It'd all come together smoothly if not for that.  iGuidance/Routis is running flawlessly, but the WINE API just can't see the connected GPS mouse, and when it does, it simply crashes linux, forcing me to do a hard reboot.

The only other options I'm seeing are VMware (don't have that kind of money plus the xbox has limited RAM) or waiting around for WINE to implement that kind of support, or some kind soul to either get windows up and running, or port ReactOS.

GPSdrive lacks the turn-by-turn directions unless you've planned everything in advance, and if there's road construction, you're SOL.  It'd work nicely as a temp solution, but it'd be lacking in the long run.

As of right now it's unfortunately stopped dead, as I've run out of options.  I still have some hope, though.   smile.gif

Jerry-kun

• Archived User
Turning Xbox Into A Gps
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 05:59:00 AM »

So, it turns out the problem was not the software at all, but the dumbass user on the other end.  Installing on my windows-based PC and copying over seemed to work just fine, but chances are I lost something important in the process.

So, to combat the installshield issues, I scrapped WINE and switched to Crossover Office, which installed the program quickly and easily.  I reset COM1 to ttyUSB0, and now I've got a GPS signal coming in.

I still haven't gotten a satellite lock, but from inside the house with the GPS mouse sitting on a window, I shouldn't expect to.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cheap power inverter for testing, and try a live road test to see what happens.  I'll let you know.
Pages: [1] 2