xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Yac (yet Another Caller-id)  (Read 36 times)

xbox_friend

• Archived User
Yac (yet Another Caller-id)
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has looked into running YAC in conjunction with XBMP.  It's compatible with TiVo, and I am willing to bet there's a way to make it work for XBOX... Any suggestions/ideas on this?

mavstar

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »

that would be cool to see

xahur

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »

Sounds interesting...
Only 1 question, however....

What is YAC?

xbox_friend

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 05:32:00 PM »

YAC (yet another caller-id) is basically a service that you run that allows for your other computers on the network to act as "listeners".  It can be found here here.
Basically, it allows for you to install the service on one of your main machines, and then your "listeners" can receive information from the service, ie. the caller-id.  I have this on my 3 computers as well as TiVo and it's pretty sweet to be able to watch some tv and know who's calling you, also know who's calling when you're at your computers.  If I had a little bit of time, i'd investigate it myself, but i was kinda hoping somebody has already done the dirty work...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 07:31:00 PM »

I'll play with it and if I get it working, I'll add it to Media X Menu.

It would be nice to have the information.

xbox_friend

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 08:58:00 AM »

That'd be great-- I was wondering if there is someway that it could be run as a background process, for instance when XBMP2.4 get's started or something along those lines.  I'm not sure what kind of "background processes" the xbox supports (if any).  Ideally, it'd be something that could be run to work during any of the non-game applications, etc.... So, it would run when Evox is loaded as well as when you load up XBMP...

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 09:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (xbox_friend @ Jun 27 2003, 12:58 PM)
That'd be great-- I was wondering if there is someway that it could be run as a background process, for instance when XBMP2.4 get's started or something along those lines.  I'm not sure what kind of "background processes" the xbox supports (if any).  Ideally, it'd be something that could be run to work during any of the non-game applications, etc.... So, it would run when Evox is loaded as well as when you load up XBMP...

It doesn't support background processes.

The app has to support it.

xbox_friend

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 09:19:00 AM »

Gotcha... then it would have to be built-in to either XBMP or whatever people are using out there...  It's a fairly small application, and in reality, all that's needed is the "listener" piece since we would have the YAC service running on the host computer...