xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Could Use Some Guidance  (Read 1102 times)

Kaboneislegend

• Archived User
I Could Use Some Guidance
« on: August 01, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

Ok so ive been looking around for a long time for tutorial or anything to get me started on making homebrew apps and games for the original xbox. yes i know the system is old. but i have been wanting to make an xbox game. so basicly my question is where should i start? if i know C++ what else do i need? I have an XDK visual studio 2003 and SDK software.  any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 01:04:00 AM »

Hi!! Nice to see new developers comingo to the scene.

You can begin reading this post:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=741204

If you read that, you will see that you can use several alternatives, and if you have chosen yet the option "Windows+Visual Studio .NET 2003+XDK", the next that you must decide is whether to create a 2D game or a 3D game.

If you want to create a 2D game, my advice is that you can install the SDL libraries ported for Xbox. If you are going to make a 3D game, maybe you can try the IrrlichtX port by Freakdave (it simplifies a lot making games) or simply do it with Direct3D (the XDK has several code samples).

If you have any doubt, you can ask it in the post that I said you above. There are lots of developers that sure will help you. Wellcome to the scene!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Kaboneislegend

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(hcf @ Aug 2 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Hi!! Nice to see new developers comingo to the scene.

You can begin reading this post:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=741204

If you read that, you will see that you can use several alternatives, and if you have chosen yet the option "Windows+Visual Studio .NET 2003+XDK", the next that you must decide is whether to create a 2D game or a 3D game.

If you want to create a 2D game, my advice is that you can install the SDL libraries ported for Xbox. If you are going to make a 3D game, maybe you can try the IrrlichtX port by Freakdave (it simplifies a lot making games) or simply do it with Direct3D (the XDK has several code samples).

If you have any doubt, you can ask it in the post that I said you above. There are lots of developers that sure will help you. Wellcome to the scene!!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have read that post and have been looking at the IrrlichtX  engine. but from what ive read it has no sound? is that still the case? most of the stuff im finding on programming is in bits and piece that i'm just piecing together and hoping is part of the puzzle ha. and since im finding alot of stuff from like 2003-2006 im sure its all out dated right, but still possible. and thank you very much most help ive gotten in several weeks of looking around into learning development. most the stuff i find is for 360. or no one answers ha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ill make sure to post on the link abot !

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 03:37:00 AM »

Well, in fact IrrlichtX is one of the most recent contributions to the Xbox scene, so the problem with it, is not that the code is old (this can happen with other Xbox homebrew games). The problem is the opposite: there is still almost no code done for IrrlichtX for Xbox.

But if you download IrrlichtX, you will see some easy samples there to begin with. Or you can go to the official Irrlicht page (not the Xbox one) and begin with the samples there. Remember that even those Irrlicht samples for Windows, can be used with the Xbox IrrlichtX!! You only must keep in mind a few things, for example in Xbox there is no "caption of the window" because the application is allways fullscreen, so it has no sense to call an Irrlicht function that writes the caption of the window, and that code must be erased from the samples.

As far as the sound issue... you can use SDL for sound! SDL is not only about 2D graphics, it also gives you support for audio, joypad control, and so on...  I mean, use IrrlichtX for the graphics and SDLx for the sound. In fact, the code of the sound in a videogame is very short, mainly begin a song at the begining of a stage, finish a sond at the end, play a wav file when you shoot... This code is very easy with SDL. You can see the tutorials of Lazyfoo here about SDL:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php  (see Lesson 11 for sound)

And if you get stuck, you can ask for help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Kaboneislegend

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(hcf @ Aug 2 2012, 11:37 AM) *

Well, in fact IrrlichtX is one of the most recent contributions to the Xbox scene, so the problem with it, is not that the code is old (this can happen with other Xbox homebrew games). The problem is the opposite: there is still almost no code done for IrrlichtX for Xbox.

But if you download IrrlichtX, you will see some easy samples there to begin with. Or you can go to the official Irrlicht page (not the Xbox one) and begin with the samples there. Remember that even those Irrlicht samples for Windows, can be used with the Xbox IrrlichtX!! You only must keep in mind a few things, for example in Xbox there is no "caption of the window" because the application is allways fullscreen, so it has no sense to call an Irrlicht function that writes the caption of the window, and that code must be erased from the samples.

As far as the sound issue... you can use SDL for sound! SDL is not only about 2D graphics, it also gives you support for audio, joypad control, and so on...  I mean, use IrrlichtX for the graphics and SDLx for the sound. In fact, the code of the sound in a videogame is very short, mainly begin a song at the begining of a stage, finish a sond at the end, play a wav file when you shoot... This code is very easy with SDL. You can see the tutorials of Lazyfoo here about SDL:

http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php  (see Lesson 11 for sound)

And if you get stuck, you can ask for help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ok thank you very much. i got the IrrlichtX engine and i manage to compile for windows but i keep getting different errors when i try to export to the xbox instead. ive include all directories needed and set up static library. first i was getting spawning error. i fixed that then i got the error for tryint to put a .dll fixed that by the static library and now im getting error saying that the namespaces dont exsits any ideas on how to fix that?

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:47:00 AM »

Sorry for the misunderstanding... It is not needed to do what you are doing, because Freakdave already did the port of Irrlicht for Xbox! I will try to explain it:

As you know, you downloaded Irrlicht for Windows, and you installed it. By doing that, you can create Irrlicht games for Windows. But now, you need Irrlicht for Xbox, but it is not needed that you try to port it, because Freakdave already did it. The port of Irrlicht for Xbox is named IrrlichtX, and you can get it here:

http://svn.huntsvegas.org

You will need a SVN client (e.g. TortoiseSVN) to download the files from the repository. It is already prepared to be compiled.

But my advice is... Freakdave opened a thread in the emuxtras.net forum (in the development section) explaining about this. I suggest you that you join this forum (emuxtras) and look at this thread. I was thinking about writing here these instructions, but I don't know if Freakdave wants (and it is his work!!) so I think that the best is if you can register in emuxtras and see at that thread.

After that, donwload Irrlichtx from the Freakdave site (huntsvegas) and compile it (it will NOT give you errors, as Freakdave fixed all yet). Put the compiled IrrlichtX library in a directory, and add that path to the Visual Studio .NET library paths (Tools -> Option -> Projects -> VC++ folders, selecting plattform Xbox). You will need to grab also the .H files from IrrlichtX, copy them in a directory, and add the path also to Visual Studio .NET (the include path). And now, you can use IrrlichtX for your Xbox games yet.

If you have troubles with this process, ask it here, or even in the IrrlichtX thread of emuxtras.

Kaboneislegend

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:07:00 AM »

thank you will take a look at the site in a sec, i actually realized that i had the windows copy after re reading your post. ha lack of sleep doesnt help me out with this! its now 6 am and ive been doing all this stuff for like 12 hours. Thanks for all the help man.

Kaboneislegend

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:20:00 AM »

ok so i download the files from that site, tried running it, still having the same problem. if it is successful it doesnt create an xbe? then the tutorial from http://www.emuxtras.net/forum/viewtopic.ph...;p=15979#p15979 says for more info click the link. so i click the link and it takes me to some rom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) any ideas?

hcf

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »

If you download the files of IrrlichtX, there is inside a folder named "source", that is the folder that you must compile. The result that you get is not a .XBE (executable for xbox), but a .LIB (a library that you will be able to link and use from your games).

Maybe you are trying to compile the upper folder, which contains a sample HelloWorld program, plus the IrrlichtX library and other dependencies that IrrlichtX needs... If you give us more infor about the error, maybe we can help