xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Odamex 0.5.3  (Read 1903 times)

bstbyguy

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Jul 2 2011, 02:57 PM) *

You should be able to load dehacked 3.1 patches with Odamex. Is there a particular patch or wad that you are unable to load?
You are the first person I know of to verify Odamex working on the 360. I assume it is working through the Xbox emulation layer. I do not have a modded Xbox 360 so I do not know why it would fail to handle save games properly. It sounds like you are saying the save games get created and you can see them in the list but the failure is in loading the saved game. While the filesystem on the 360 may be different the emulation layer will provide the appearance of that file systems existence. If the game works I would expect things like saved games to work as I am saving to the location provided by the Xbox to save games as most retail games do. It could be possible that there could be some endianness issue in the object winding/unwinding related to file storage.

Ultimately I would like to build a native 360 release. I need hardware to develop with first and that hardware doesn't run cheap. One day I hope to have it. Of course anyone that wants to contribute to Odamex to help with acquisition of such needed components is welcome to do so by hitting the donate button on the Odamex website. It is not common for people to do so and certainly not common for us to mention it.
This is definitely a community project. I have no problem with someone implying an intention for a pack to be used with Odamex so long as it does not include any illegal wads (retail wads or iwads that illegally used id IP.) Also keep in mind that many wads have terms for distribution and the accompanying text files should be read to ensure compliance.

thanks a bunch for actually coming back and checking in to answer my question, and yes it does actually write the save but it won't load it and yes everything else works perfectly just not being able to load saves really hurts, where exactly are the save files located anyway, i would like to do some tinkering if i could. btw i wanted to let you know i've thrown about 30 pwads at it as well and they all worked fine, even a compilation of all of the master levels joined into one megawad, and i play every megawad with a a psxmusic.wad loaded at the same time to replace the doom music with the psx music and that works as well. just some info incase you ever get to dive into the 360 version :-)  good luck and great work!!!

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(bstbyguy @ Jul 3 2011, 08:53 PM) *

thanks a bunch for actually coming back and checking in to answer my question, and yes it does actually write the save but it won't load it and yes everything else works perfectly just not being able to load saves really hurts, where exactly are the save files located anyway, i would like to do some tinkering if i could. btw i wanted to let you know i've thrown about 30 pwads at it as well and they all worked fine, even a compilation of all of the master levels joined into one megawad, and i play every megawad with a a psxmusic.wad loaded at the same time to replace the doom music with the psx music and that works as well. just some info incase you ever get to dive into the 360 version :-)  good luck and great work!!!

The saves go to the games udata directory. I gave the game the TitleID 0x4F444D58 (use a hex to ascii converter to know how I came up with that value) so it would be E:\UDATA\4F444D58. If you can see the save games then the files are getting saved and the path is working. I would think it more likely that the problem is related to writing or reading the contents. What is the exact behavior when you attempt to load a saved game? One thing you could try is pulling the save over to a computer to make sure there is content in it. An even more interesting experiment would be attempting to load it with Odamex on a PC (Windows, Linux, Mac... whatever.) I may even be interested in a copy of one.

Also, does the launcher configuration seem to be saving correctly? When you add a wad path does it persist after you quit and reload?

I'm surprised it is saving games that turns out not to work on 360 as opposed to the launcher kicking off the client. That was the code I suspected would be the most likely to fail as I used undocumented API and my own launch data structure to do it. I'm glad it works though.

Clockface

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

Sorry Hyper_Eye, I hadn't seen your reply before.

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Jul 2 2011, 06:40 PM) *

I get a lot of conflicting opinions about the laucher. Some people love it and others hate it. The launcher is functional. It was made to be functional. It was also made to be cross-platform and that is important to us. Any large effort that targets a specific platform, especially a console that was end-of-life'd 6 years ago, is something we put serious consideration into and it is not something we are likely to go for. Odamex takes a lot of work overall and we all have limited time to work on it between our families, jobs, and other responsibilities. We have to pick tasks that benefit Odamex as a whole.

Fair enough, mate. You (and everyone else connected with XBox homebrew) put in a lot of hard work for no renumeration at all, and I do appreciate it, as I'm sure we all do. Please don't think I'm complaining, Odamex is great, and the Launcher works fine - I'd just like to see it perhaps a little more user friendly to those of us using only joypads, although of course improvements to the launcher aren't nearly as important as improvements to the Doom game/engine itself, or to added features or compatibility.

I know the kind of launcher people in the scene want. That kind of launcher is a lot of work in itself. I was never interested in providing a show piece launcher or for Odamex to be a showpiece port. My intention was always to provide a functional port of a great client, with online play, that can be built right out of our source repository that all PC platforms build with without any modification to the code required. That is what I have done. When it came to the launcher I knew I would have to write a new one. I did not have time to create my own widgets and API. So I used a cross-platform GUI library that relied only on libraries the Xbox could run. The gui library turned out to be agar and the libraries turned out to be SDL, FreeType (both already ported), and pthreads (which I had to port myself.) This brought the timeframe on the task down to something reasonable where it was worth pursuing. I was able to write it even faster because the portability of the library meant I was able to write it in Linux with the tools I am comfortable with (vim, gcc, gdb, etc.) and test it running on a platform that had long been supported.

As someone with no coding ability or talent, I'll just nod whilst reading that, in the hope that I'll fool people into thinking I understood what you were saying  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I have done what I can to accommodate people who don't like the launcher. First the sensitivity of the cursor scales pretty well. Pushing the stick to variable degrees while moving the cursor goes a long way. It doesn't take much time with it to get pretty comfortable with the analog movement. I also added the ability to do most things without the cursor. It is all documented in the README.Xbox. Another thing that I did was add support to the Odamex client to take arguments from the XBMC dash using the <game> tag. This can be used to create shortcuts that launch directly into the type of game someone wants including loading different iwads, pwads, connecting to online games, etc.

Oh yes, like I said it is OK now, it's just that it could be better, but then you can say that about anything. There's nothing major or urgent about the Frontend that needs fixing.

I've never tried to use command line arguments on the XBox - I might try it though, as it will be interesting to do.  I do love how *everything* on the (modded) XBox can be run from the hard drive, I hope the hackers who made that possible know how grateful us end users are. My XBox is my media centre, I use it to play music and video files, although I don't use it to play DVDs, as although XBMC is a *superb* DVD player, I don't want to wear out the DVD drive (I'm no my second one already), so I use a cheap (£30, I think) supermarket bought standalone DVD drive to play physical DVDs, as it does everything I want. I FTP media from my PC to the XBox, so the DVD drive in the XBox sees almost no use, except to install games.

See this xbmc4xbox wiki link: http://xbmc4xbox.org/wiki/index.php?title=...s_to_.xbe_files
See this Odawiki link: http://odamex.net/wiki/Command_line_parameters

Using this feature allows people to create shortcuts that skip the launcher completely. There is a lot that someone could do with that.

Also, everything the Odamex team does is open-source including the launcher currently used on Xbox. Anyone can make a launcher and I have said in other parts of the community that I would be happy to see someone create a launcher with the things that people in this community like to see such as preview videos and graphics honed specifically to the Xbox. That is something I simply can't justify doing on the Odamex team but someone in this community could do it.

Anyway, the most important part of the whole thing to me is the client. The launcher, to me, is simply a tool to launch the client with the necessary options to play the game I am interested in. I put as much time into the client as I could to make it integrate with the Xbox in the best way possible. That included things like honing the controls, using good defaults, saving games in a way that allows them to be viewed in the save game manager and transferred with memory cards, high definition support, and even adding the macro joystick shortcuts for communication. The end result is, in my opinion, the best Doom port on Xbox and, overall, a port that is more polished than most. I am proud of what I delivered. The idea that someone doesn't use it at all only because the launcher isn't really what they want is pretty disappointing to me. I would rather someone curse the launcher on their way to playing the client which is the part that actually has a game in it and the part that I really want to continue investing time in.

There will be some changes to the launcher over time but you will never see me producing the madmab edition launcher. It is up to a madmab-like dev to come around and decide it is worth their time to tackle the task.

OK mate. Thanks for answering, and for all of your hardwork. Doom is a timeless classic, and it's brilliant having such a compatible version on the XBox (DoomX is brilliant but of course it can't use hacked .wad files). I do play on Odamex (offline, I've never been an online player, and I've not linked up the XBox, so it's single player Doom mods only), but when my nephew (nine years old, and a better gamer than me  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ) is around I put on DoomX (he loves Doom and Duke Nukem on my XBox, but doesn't play them on his PC* even though I've put them on for him) as the frontend is quicker to use.

* Isn't it amazing how much the world has changed - I'm 41 now, and when I was a kid, being sent to your room was a punishment. My nephew (who's parents are far from rich) has an XBox 360, a PC, a Nintendo DS, mobile phone and probably (I'm not sure) satellite TV.

I had a portable TV, then a Spectrum. Technology has changed so much for so many people.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »

I have a question for anyone who may know the answer. I have read that skulltag, aside from using it's own servers, can also list/use Odamex servers, increasing the likelihood of finding someone online to play with.

Can this port (or any port of Odamex, for that matter) have the option to support Skulltag servers? If so, is it just a matter of adding skulltag servers to a list somewhere on the HD and go?

Hyper_Eye: Hows the overscan correction progress for the launcher coming? If Any?

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: Jul 11 2011, 05:49 PM

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »

Skulltatg and Odamex are not compatible. What you might have heard is that there are launchers like IDE and Doomseeker that can list servers from different clients in a single interface. When those launchers actually kick off a connection they are kicking off the correct client for the particular server chosen. That is an entirely different thing. Odamex cannot connect to Skulltag servers or vice verse.

I have not yet worked on variable overscan in the launcher. It is on my list of things.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »

For those looking for some good Mods to play with this, all you need to do is look around the web, particularly on DOOMWorld's Cacowards lists and find all the games that support Classic DOOM, PrBOOM, and ZDOOM 1.22 and below. They "should" all work flawlessly!

http://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

One Total Conversion of interest would be Rex's: Star Wars - Darkest Hour which you can find here:

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idg...-f/darkhour.zip

http://doomnexus.drdteam.org/DH_Pix.html

I've not played it all the way through on the XBOX yet, but thus far everything seems to work as it should!

Enjoy!!!!!

This post has been edited by XDelusion: Aug 5 2011, 10:43 PM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 03:48:00 AM »

Darkest Hour on Youtube

http://youtu.be/QZyDU4x4HxI

Clockface

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »

XDelusion, thanks for the links, but can you put together a .zip file of mods that work with Odamex, all sorted into whatever folders need to be present for them to work in Odamex, please?

I'm not well up on running hacked Doom levels (and I imagine quite a few of us are the same here) so a downloadable archive of pre-sorted levels would be fantastic.

XDelusion

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Aug 6 2011, 05:00 PM) *

XDelusion, thanks for the links, but can you put together a .zip file of mods that work with Odamex, all sorted into whatever folders need to be present for them to work in Odamex, please?

I'm not well up on running hacked Doom levels (and I imagine quite a few of us are the same here) so a downloadable archive of pre-sorted levels would be fantastic.

I used to have such a site for the Dreamcast, but it has long since vanished.

Now a days I devote most of my energy to Amiga and other hobbies, but...

Will try to set aside some time and see if I can't throw together a quick pack for you guys.

Btw, Odamex does not yet support sloped surfaces so Darkest Hour may not be completable.

Clockface

• Archived User
Odamex 0.5.3
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Aug 7 2011, 04:26 AM) *

I used to have such a site for the Dreamcast, but it has long since vanished.

Now a days I devote most of my energy to Amiga and other hobbies, but...

Will try to set aside some time and see if I can't throw together a quick pack for you guys.

Btw, Odamex does not yet support sloped surfaces so Darkest Hour may not be completable.

That'd be great mate, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]