Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Odamex  (Read 2673 times)

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Koooi @ Feb 26 2010, 10:38 AM) View Post

First off!
Hyper Eye, you are one of these guys that shows that the Xbox is not dead!
Great great Work you make there!

I have a few questions about this port:

1. I another Xbox Doom-Port (don´t know which was it), there was a Xbox Option to add Bots in the Multiplayer, so you can play it also alone with Computer Enemys. It would be so cool to bring this in your Port!

Bots have been mentioned among the Odamex team in the past but it is not something we are currently working on. This might be a consideration in the future but it will not be in the 0.5 release of Odamex.

2. Will there be MP3 or WAV Support? I mean, so that you can change the Background music or other Sounds!
Or is it Midi?

This is from the Odamex wiki which I encourage you guys to look at here: http://odamex.net/wiki/Odamex

ODAMEX supports multiple music and sound formats, for example:
WAVE/RIFF
AIFF
VOC
MOD XM S3M 669 IT MED and more (using included mikmod)
MIDI (using timidity or native midi hardware)
OggVorbis (requiring ogg/vorbis libraries on system)
MP3 (requiring SMPEG library on system)
Basically any music format that SDL_mixer supports!

So any of those formats can be used in maps. What is not supported is the user changing the music in-game. You will not be able to pick a song from the music you have stored on the Xbox. Again, this could be a future consideration but it is not something we have considered or are working on.

3. Will there be also a deh-Support from the Wads? So that i can play finally Goldeneye. Because i know all Wads with a deh in it don´t working in the Doom-Ports before!

Hope you can answering all my questions!
Have a nice Day and good Luck on the Port!

I answered this question earlier when someone asked about Alien TC. This is also from the wiki:

Patch support includes (loaded from command line or DEHACKED lump)
DEHACKED (DEH)
Boom EXtensions (BEX)
BOOM map format support.

Just to be certain I went ahead and tested the GoldenEye TC deh version and it worked great. It is also really awesome.

Thanks for the questions.

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

Its nice to hear your progress. I have a couple questions:

What do you have planned for the launcher, a Doom style interface with an xmv video in the background, or something like an emulator launcher? I'm hoping it will be better than DoomLegacy's launcher smile.gif

Will you include look inversion or any up/down looking?

I'm pretty excited for this; keep up the good work!

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 27 2010, 09:46 PM) View Post

Its nice to hear your progress. I have a couple questions:

What do you have planned for the launcher, a Doom style interface with an xmv video in the background, or something like an emulator launcher? I'm hoping it will be better than DoomLegacy's launcher smile.gif

I have not done much in the way of designing the launcher yet but it will be minimalist. I am less concerned with appearance than I am with providing the necessary components. Those major pieces would be a way to select iwads and pwads for a single player game or browse the odamex servers to start a multiplayer game. With that in mind the interface will probably be similar to the look that is typical of emulators. That would be a static background with viewpanes for the interface. There doesn't need to be a whole lot on the launcher because the client options are all contained within the game where the menu system will remain intact and all the options will be available.

Download Odamex for whatever OS you use on your PC. Check out the launcher and look around Odamex. Now think about something that provides similar functionality to the launcher launching on the Xbox followed by the same Odamex client. That is what it is going to be. There are some things being added to support the effort but those things are being added in a cross-platform way. So if you were to grab the odameXbox branch from our SVN and try it you will be able to see the state of it. I developed the joystick support in Linux and I have further tested it in OS X and Windows followed by the Xbox. So you can check out the new joystick support on any of those platforms.

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 27 2010, 09:46 PM) View Post
Will you include look inversion or any up/down looking?

I'm pretty excited for this; keep up the good work!

Here is what the joystick configuration menu looks like so far except I used the "Mouse Setup" graphic temporarily. We already have the "Joystick Setup" graphic done. Obviously more will be added to this, such as the rumble option, before it is completed.

IPB Image

Here is the new "Customize Controls" menu where you set your bindings. This is not the whole thing as it is now scrollable and it has been broken into categories. You assign the joystick buttons here the same as you do with keyboard and mouse.

IPB Image

Those screenshots were taken in Linux but it looks exactly the same on Xbox.

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 04:06:00 AM »

Glad to see the freelook is optional. If you're looking up and down it just isn't Doom.

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »

No, but if your playing a mod it often feels right to have freelook.

Thanks for the timely response. I see a vc9 file in there I'm guessing that is just leftovers from the trunk. I keep getting an error looking for 'SDL.h' Do we need to get the sdlx libs on our own to build this?

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »

Well I put SDL.h and SDL_main.h from SDLx in the xbox folder and added libSDLx.lib and libSmpegX.lib and noticed it looks for libSDLxd.lib and libSmpegXd.lib If I rename them I get the warning:

CODE
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

and the xbe fails to enter debug mode.  Do you have your own sdlx libs?

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 28 2010, 10:23 AM) View Post

No, but if your playing a mod it often feels right to have freelook.

Again, we like to have options in Odamex. I personally never enable freelook. I don't consider it to be functionally necessary in Doom and I also agree with Likklebaer that Doom just doesn't feel like Doom with freelook. I also never use jump but the option is there for anyone who wants it. If you want freelook it is there for you to use and if we are going to provide freelook we also need to provided inverting it for completions sake.

Thanks for the timely response. I see a vc9 file in there I'm guessing that is just leftovers from the trunk.

There is no such thing as a leftover from tunk as odameXbox is a branch from trunk and while the branch was created for the purpose of supporting the Xbox it is all being done in a multiplatform way. I keep the odameXbox branch updated with the trunk changes. I have already merged from trunk twice with the most recent being only a couple days ago. As with any branch when the effort is complete the branch will be merged back into trunk and removed. Then the Xbox build can be built right from trunk and it will be maintained there.

The project files available for the Windows build include a VC9 (MSVC++ 2008 Express is what is generally used with it), VC6 (for those who like this old non-standards compliant compiler), Codeblocks (our multi-platform project file), and the standard Makefile which works cross-platform with gcc. Mingw gcc is used to build the Windows build for release and during development by the devs that work in Windows almost 100% of the time but we maintain the other project files to provide choice. So none of these would be leftovers anymore than the Xbox project files will be a leftover when it is merged to trunk. If someone wants to try the new joystick support in Windows they can load the vc9 project inside the odameXbox branch and compile it. Then they will have the changes I have made to support the Xbox effort including the new multi-platform joystick support.

I keep getting an error looking for 'SDL.h' Do we need to get the sdlx libs on our own to build this?

The SDLx package is required (the source code is not but the libs/headers package is) just as SDL is require to  build on any other platform.

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 28 2010, 12:56 PM) View Post

Well I put SDL.h and SDL_main.h from SDLx in the xbox folder and added libSDLx.lib and libSmpegX.lib and noticed it looks for libSDLxd.lib and libSmpegXd.lib If I rename them I get the warning:

CODE
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Let me give you some directions. You do not need to place the includes and libs into the Xbox project directory. Simply unpack the SDLx package somewhere. Then you need to configure your compiler to find the SDLx package as described for compiling in Visual Studio on the Odamex wiki: http://odamex.net/wi...t_Visual_Studio

Those directions are a bit outdated so let me tell you exactly what you want to do to setup your compiler for compiling Odamex.

Select Tools->Options.
Click Projects.
Click "VC++ Directories".
In the "Platform:" pulldown select "Xbox".
In the "Show directories for:" pulldown select "Include Files".
Add the path to the SDLx include directory.
Then in the "Show directories for:" pulldown select "Library Files".
Add the directories for the SDLx debug libs and another one for the SDLx release libs.
After that you are finished with that dialog.

That should be all you need to get Odamex to compile. Once it is compiled and it has been transferred to your Xbox you will need to transfer a few things yourself. These need to go in the Odamex directory and you can copy them there using "Xbox Neighborhood".

Odamex.wad (Found in the toplevel directory of the branch. Do not use the one from trunk. It does not have everything you need in it.)
Doom.wad or Doom2.wad
For music you need eawpatches configured to work on Xbox. That is available here: http://www.huntsvega...y-odameXbox.rar (23M compressed)

For the timidity files put them in the Odamex directory as they are in the archive. So at the toplevel of the Odamex directory you should have a timidity.cfg and a Timidity directory. The game will start without this but it will not be able to initialize the music subsystem and there will only be sound effects. With those files in place you should be able to start Odamex. You will only need to copy them into place once unless something in odamex.wad changes.

Once the game is started you will need a keyboard plugged in to navigate the menus to set your resolution, overscan, joystick settings, map your buttons etc as I have not yet implemented menu navigation using the joystick. As SDLx scales all resolutions to 640x480 I recommend setting that as your resolution. If you are seeing a mouse cursor in the menus you can get rid of it by pulling down the console and typing "vid_fullscreen 1" and then restarting the client. In the future this will be forced on the Xbox. Do not do a warm reboot from your PC, stop the game with the debugger, or turn off your Xbox without quitting if you made any configuration changes you want saved. Quit the game through the menu as that is when your configuration file will be saved. As of the most recent 2 commits the game should properly return to your dashboard when you quit.

If you would like to try connecting to a server get the hostname or ip address and port and connect on the console with "connect address:port". Since the branch is based on trunk all recent changes are present and you will find that item pickup has a huge lag when playing on a 0.4.4 server. We changed the way item pickup works and so only svn servers are compatible and they will not exhibit the pickup lag. When we bump to 0.5 that will not be an issue.

Extra Note: If you do not have the debug version of the libraries then you will only be able to build the "Release" build. In MSVC++ pull down the "Solution Configurations" an select "Release". Then it will look for the release libs instead of the debug ones. If you don't plan on doing any debugging it will be better to use "Release" anyway as the performance will be better and it will reflect the performance that would be experienced with an actual release. The resulting xbe will also be smaller.

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 28 2010, 12:56 PM) View Post
and the xbe fails to enter debug mode.  Do you have your own sdlx libs?

I am not using custom SDLx libraries. In the future I am going to have to make some changes to them as they do not support HD resolutions. I have every intention of supporting HD resolutions. I have also found a bug that I had to work around in the joystick code in SDLx. I would like to fix it. Any changes that I make to SDLx will be released. It is obvious to me that SDLx is currently dead. I am considering taking over SDLx development so that Xbox development can continue into the future. If I do this the project will be made available on sourceforge. One of the biggest reasons I am considering this is because of the upcoming release of SDL 1.3. I would like to take SDLx to 1.3. The most immediate benefit there is that SDL 1.3 will support multi-platform forced-feedback/rumble and it would be great if multi-platform rumble implementation would work on Xbox. Anyway, these are things I am considering and I have not decided for sure that this is something I want to do. I am seriously leaning towards it though.

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »

Thanks for your help, I now have it running. I wasn't sure if you had started your work on SDLx for HDTV support, as I didn't recognize any lib's ending in d, but I see that you refer to the debug library. I'll have some more fun with this later in the week smile.gif

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(weinerschnitzel @ Feb 28 2010, 07:13 PM) View Post

Thanks for your help, I now have it running. I wasn't sure if you had started your work on SDLx for HDTV support, as I didn't recognize any lib's ending in d, but I see that you refer to the debug library. I'll have some more fun with this later in the week smile.gif

I added this in an edit. You may have not caught it.

QUOTE(Hyper_Eye @ Feb 28 2010, 05:24 PM) View Post
Extra Note: If you do not have the debug version of the libraries then you will only be able to build the "Release" build. In MSVC++ pull down the "Solution Configurations" an select "Release". Then it will look for the release libs instead of the debug ones. If you don't plan on doing any debugging it will be better to use "Release" anyway as the performance will be better and it will reflect the performance that would be experienced with an actual release. The resulting xbe will also be smaller.

Selecting the "Release" build eliminates the "d" libraries you refer to. Those are the debug libraries which contain debugging symbols for effectively using the debugger. The regular libraries don't contain those symbols and may be optimized which provides for good performance and a smaller size. The debug version can get choppy depending on whats going on especially if the debugger is actively running. I have not experienced any choppiness with the release build.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »

Did this get released or are people just beta testing it? I hadn't checked the thread in a while, don't know if I missed something smile.gif

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Pulsemasta @ Mar 10 2010, 06:19 AM) View Post

Did this get released or are people just beta testing it? I hadn't checked the thread in a while, don't know if I missed something smile.gif

It has not been released. All the work being done for this effort is committed into our repository though and as I work I continue to make commits. It can all be found in the odameXbox branch of the odamex svn repository. Weinerschnitzel wanted to build it so above I gave him instructions on how to build it and make his resulting xbe work. Anybody who wants to build it and try it is welcome to.

Pulsemasta

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »

oh, that's cool. Thanks for filling me in! :-)

Finker282

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »

Thank you so much. You are an inspiration. Doom is and will always be my favorite game of all time. All I ever wanted was to play an updated cross platform port on the Xbox where I could use a keyboard and mouse and connect to internet servers. Until now Legacy got the job done for me... albeit not really what I was looking for. Now THIS... this is golden. Perhaps I will start working on some ctf maps, as that is my favorite multiplayer mode. Thank you so much! You have no idea what this means to me.

Hyper_Eye

• Recovered User
Odamex
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »

I have not done any work directly on Odamex since the last time I posted but progress has been made in other areas as can be seen in this thread: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=708542

I can't really speculate as to when a release will be ready. I would like to have the Xbox port ready for release to coincide with the 0.5 release of Odamex but the likeliness of that is lessened as the Odamex team starts to want to focus more and more on the 0.5 release. 0.5 will not be held back for a platform that was not previously supported. If the Xbox port is not released with the 0.5 release I will try to make the release a 0.5-compatible release so that Xbox players will be able to play on the 0.5 servers and can get in the action the moment the port is available.

weinerschnitzel

• Archived User
Odamex
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »

For those interested, Hyper_Eye added the xbox controller functionality. So those that want to build it on their own can now play without a keyboard.
Hyper_Eye, I can't wait to see the launcher and be able to play online. Keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8