xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Xmugen  (Read 3004 times)

Reza1986

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »

Wow I'm glad to see that the XMugen threads are having some new life breathe into them and Guybird is back...again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) The only thing i have to add is that a friend of mine found a way to run Hi-Res stuff(Screenpacks and Stages) on XMugen and if you need some hosting i'll be willing to lead a hand just check my site out.

Link: Reza's Mugen Stuff

Edit: I already made an XMugen Section with the latest version of the XMugen Renamer.

This post has been edited by Reza1986: Jul 23 2009, 08:06 PM

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Ok, finally after pounding my head against my keyboard I know what's going on.  Kept trying to test out the reboot command in the launch file.  Every time I'd launch XMugen I'd get an error that it couldn't find the launch file, even though XMugen was loading (meaning that it had found it).  After finally figuring it out, when you add that "reboot" command in, it freaks out.  It doesn't seem to know that command.  I'll have to try some of the other variants listed above to see what it will accept.

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »

ok, what setup are you all using?
i want to look into irdloop.gz, but since there are soo many setups, and 70% of all links i find are dead.
thanks.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »

Run repeatedly actions:

'respawn' actions are run after the 'once' actions.  When a process
            started with a 'respawn' action exits, init automatically restarts
            it.
 Unlike sysvinit, BusyBox init does not stop processes from
            respawning out of control.  The 'askfirst' actions acts just like
            respawn, except that before running the specified process it
            displays the line "Please press Enter to activate this console."
            and then waits for the user to press enter before starting the
            specified process.

I really like that line there. Does that mean I could do something like:

::respawn:Games/XMugen/mugen

and it would restart when exited?

Here's a link for an E partition XMugen setup; just 1 char and stage, good for testing.  I also threw in friedgold's minilinux as well, which you can run on the Xbox for testing this, and if sound was implemented is a better solution for a launcher.

Here's the same launcher except run on the F partition if you have no room on E.

Idiotsfan/bc54:  Since you guys seem to be knowledgeable with Linux, check out the minilinux distro.  If you guys could add sound support to it, and enlighten me as to how its keyboard > joystick mapping is setup, that would be a much better option for modifying vs the old launcher.  Just my 2 cents.

This post has been edited by guybird: Jul 23 2009, 11:45 PM

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »

@guybird - ok so what "respawn" actions mean is that when a executeable is launched with "respawn", if the action is killed, "respawn" restarts that action, so heres an example:
during startup, lets say you run "respawn /usr/bin/mugen", then you play for a while and hit "exit". then mugen closes, but because you launched it with "respawn", it will start "/usr/bin/mugen" again, so you would never exit out of mugen.

i have an idea for this launcher, instead of reboot, try "shutdown". so the xbox wont reboot, but it will shutdown. and if that works, then we could try "shutdown -r", which is the same thing as reboot. so to implement this, we have to find the script that launches mugen at startup, and change it to this:
CODE
/usr/bin/mugen
shutdown -r

or we could try this:
CODE
/usr/bin/mugen && shutdown -r

i am downloading the setup right now and i will take a look at the minilauncher.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

Ok, to make things easier for you guys, I will explain a little about how this whole setup works.  You probably understand it more than I do, but bare with me:

Key files are:  bzimage (filesystem I believe), *.cfg file (specifies the name & location of bzimage & initrd files as well as video mode), initrd, launch file (the linuxrc file is coded to search for this file's location/s, depending on where the user's XMugen folder is in, then execute it, it includes the joy2key button mappings, as well as the actual exectution of mugen), and finally the *.xbe launcher.

So the actual launch process is:

xbe launcher
cfg file
bzimage & initrd
launch file
mugen itself

Since the launch file is external, I should be able to implement the shutdown/reboot/respawn commands in it, and not in the linuxrc.
Hope that helps.

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »

ok, thanks for the info. thats really helps a lot.

i looked into the "launch file" here are the contents:
CODE
#!/static/ash
sleep 7
./mugen &
sleep 10
./joy2key1 103 106 108 105 28 1 30 31 32 33 119 35 29 59 63 62 36 61 2 4 &
./joy2key2 8 9 10 11 96 1 44 45 46 47 119 49 97 60 62 64 50 61 3 5 &

so, as we can see, this is an ash shell script. most modern linux systyems use bash, so i am going to have to do a litlle research tyo figure out this one. but, what it is basically saying is wait 7 seconds, then execute mugen and background it. then wait 10 seconds then execute ./joy2key1... then execute4 ./joy2key2... then the script is finished. what we need to do to get the xbox to reboot after mugen exits is to change the line "./mugen" to something like "./xmugen". now xmugen ius just going to be another script just like this one, except it will say:
CODE
#!/static/ash
 ./mugen
reboot

now, i know that reboot, shutdown, and halt dont work. so once we find the command that will do it, we'll just substitute "reboot" with whatever works.

alright, i have to go now, so i probably wont be working on this for a couple hours, but when i get back i think i can figure this thing out. also, i have decompressed the initrd.7z ffrom the minilinux and mounted it. so now what exactly did you want to do with the minilinux?

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

The minilinux is a much much cleaner and easier to use setup than the current XMugen loader.  It has functional FTP/SSH/Telnet, which makes it easy to debug/program, and it also has an easier startup script layout vs the linuxrc file.  As is, it will run XMugen just fine, only two problems:  No sound support, and the other is it has a built in joypad > keyboard mapping program vs the launch file based joy2key that we have now.  If sound support was added in (preferably ALSA support for those of using digital sound output) and a way to modify the existing joypad mappings, we'd be set.  It also already has a nice dialog based menu which allows for network settings, reboot & shutdown which could easily be modified to launch XMugen as well.  Bottom line is that we could tinker around for weeks trying to figure out what's really going on with the existing XMugen loader and try to modify it/clean it up, or we could just add sound support and customizable controls to the minilinux setup.

On a seperate note, I figured out the key combination for Control + Alt + Delete = 26 + 56 + 111 (replace these keys over something like LT + RT + Black in joy2key to test) but it doesn't seem to work.  If you hit the keys while Mugen is running, it'll reboot back to the linux loader screen.  Hitting it there doesn't work however, as I think the joy2key mapping stops working after Mugen exits out.  I could be wrong, but it didn't work for me.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(guybird @ Jul 24 2009, 09:00 AM) View Post

If sound support was added in (preferably ALSA support for those of using digital sound output)

I collaborated with stevewal and willows02 for some work on sound for xdsl 0.6/0.7, see here:
http://forums.xbox-s...&...t&p=4276090

The last I heard for xdsl was it was working: http://forums.xbox-s...o...37421&st=15

What kernel does the minilinux uses? We could try marrying the x-dsl kernel (and all the related ALSA files) with friedgold's minilinux.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »

Check the links in one of my previous posts.  One of them deals completely with recompiling it, I'm not sure off the top of my head which version it is.  

Customizing Minilinux
Help with customizing minilinux

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »

ok, here a quote from the minilinux readme:
I built everything from source trying to keep the size down as much as possible.
The kernel is 2.4.31 with the latest xbox-linux cvs patches applied. I applied chimpanzee's
keyboard emulation patch and Ming-Ching Tiew's patches for a lzma compressed kernel and
initrd.
so, its 2.4.31 based, which is what i think xdsl is based on. so maybe we can get sound to work.

ok, in minilinux, running reboot in the console works perfectly. now, i have tried to recompress the modified initrd.7z, but apparently it is a cramfs filesystem an i dont relly know how to work with that any ideas?

edit: nevermind, i just followed your links abot guybird. thanks. now lets see what i can do...

This post has been edited by bc54: Jul 24 2009, 05:22 AM

nate1579

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »

So yall plan on making a new loader?

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

not really, just getting this already working minilinux to work. so far i got some good signs. i have gotten some scripts in place that will make the xbox reboot when xmugen exits.

but, i have hit a snag, i have gotten mugen to load, but it freezes on the 2nd now loading screen. i would continue work on tyhis, but unfortunately all the tvs have been hijacked. hopefully i can get back to work in an hour.

i plan on making the launch script output to a log, so then i can see what is happening, but if anybody else has some info it would appreciated.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »

Once you get past the loading screen, you should see a disclaimer screen that you'll have to either have F1 mapped to a controller button, or to press it on a keyboard.  Once past that you should be at the main menu.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »

I don't know how you're going about things now, but if I was to do it, I would force the dialog menu to popup from the getgo, no pressing a button/enter to display it.  From there, you'd have "Launch XMugen" and restart, etc.  If/when XMugen exits out, the menu pops back up again.  That way the user could choose whether to restart the program, or to restart back to the dash.  I wish I could find my usb adapter so I could hook up a keyboard to test with.  I've been chilling in the #Xmugen room on EFnet if you'd prefer to converse that way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10