xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Xmugen  (Read 3006 times)

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »

Anyone know or heard of problems running Xmugen with one of Trusty's upgraded MOBO's?
I got the 128mb, 1ghz board and i cant make it past the linux loading screen.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

Honestly the reason this has "dropped off the map again" is because it never was on it.  As much as I'd like to be the one to come up with some magical solution, and have us a brand new XMugen interface, I can't do it.  I've tried time and time again with no luck.  Its not that its really that hard, its just that it takes someone who has a bit of experience building their own compilations of Linux.  Not that there isn't any of those guys around here (just check out the Linux section here), but no of them seem to want to help.

As far as having 128mb of ram goes, it will work, but you have to use the cromwell loader (the setup that goes in you E partition, not the direct boot loaders you can throw on F or G) for it to recognize and use it.  I've seen where a few others have been able to use it fine, so I know it works.  Dunno why its not with your setup.

neil222

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(guybird @ Jul 21 2009, 09:45 PM) View Post

Honestly the reason this has "dropped off the map again" is because it never was on it.  As much as I'd like to be the one to come up with some magical solution, and have us a brand new XMugen interface, I can't do it.  I've tried time and time again with no luck.  Its not that its really that hard, its just that it takes someone who has a bit of experience building their own compilations of Linux.  Not that there isn't any of those guys around here (just check out the Linux section here), but no of them seem to want to help.

Yeah, pretty sad really.   sad.gif

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »

Man that is pretty sad. Got some really good people on this scene too.
I guess i got to this alittle too late to really enjoy it and see it take off.
I've got a friend that may be able to help, he's been doing some linux
tweeking for a while now as he builds media centers with XBMC running
off the flash drive. He said he uses a stripped down version of LINUX
and i know he does "debug" work, maybe he could help.
I really hope this does not die, it's a bloody classic in my opinion

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »

hey, this thread just got me to look into xmugen.

A question. how come xmugen isnt on xbins? i had to google for a while before i could find some links.

now, i was reading this thread and fratslop said he wants it so that when you exit mugen, the console reboots. that should be pretty easy. just make a bash script that launches mugen. in it you would put:
CODE
#!/bin/bash
# A little script to launch mugen, then reboot when it is closed.
/usr/bin/mugen # or wherever the executable binary is located.
reboot

this should work because the way bash reads the script, it wont execute "reboot" until /usr/bin/mugen has launched and closed with exit status 0 (meaning no errors). of course if you wanted it to instead shutdown the console, replace "reboot" with "halt"

anyways, just my 2 cents

This post has been edited by bc54: Jul 22 2009, 06:50 AM

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

Sorry bc54, but if it was that easy, I've have done it by now.  The original coder ripped out pretty much ALL useful commands, so I couldn't do anything like reboot, cat, or even make a dialog script.  Its gonna take someone totally remaking a new Linux build to be able to do anything.  The ability to make it reboot after crashing it pretty much the only thing that keeps me from even using it on my own xbox.  Its too time consuming and a pita to try and debug this thing when you don't know exactly what makes it crap out (this is where a log file would be nice).  If these simple features were in it, it would be a million times easier for me, and for people that don't really understand how to get it working.

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

your right, since i have a keyboard, i tried to run "reboot" from the command line, and it attempts to reboot, but freezes at "attempting to kill init".

its weird because i can hit "ctrl+alt+del" and rebopot it fine. maybe it you could edit the joy2key, so that something like "LT+RT+Black" equals "ctrl+alt+del". also, do you have an uncompressed version of the linux filesystem. maybe if somebody more linux capable looked at it, they could figure out how to fix the reboot problem.

also, did you make that mini linux? thats pretty impressive if you did. good luck.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »

Hmmm, maybe your are on to something here.  I checked the filesystem to make sure reboot wasn't there (I was pretty sure it wasn't) but when I listed the available commands:

CODE
ash      dd       mkswap   reboot   sleep    swapon   umount
busybox  ls       mount    rm       swapoff  test

Sure enough there it is!  So if we were to edit the launch file which looks like this:

CODE
#!/static/ash
sleep 7
cd ..
cd ..
./mugen -r CVS2&
sleep 1
./joy2key1 103 106 108 105 28 1 30 31 32 33 34 35 29 59 119 62 36 61 2 4&
./joy2key2 8 9 10 11 96 1 44 45 46 47 48 49 97 60 62 119 50 61 3 5&
reboot
# Here's the default order for buttons with joy2key
# ./joy2key (Dpad up) (Dpad right) (Dpad down) (Dpad left) (Start) (Back) (A) (X) (B) (Y) (Black) (White) (L3) (R3) (Right analog up) (Right analog right) (Right analog down) (Right analog left) (L trigger) (R trigger)

and add in the reboot line (in bold) it should work!  So, if you are correct, you should be able to add additional lines to execute other than reboot, and once one command finishes, it goes to the next?  Meaning for me to make a "debug" loader that would continuously load the same pack over and over if it crashed allowing me to find all the problem characters/stages, I would just copy and paste the "./mugen -r CVS2&" line multiple times in the end of the file?

ganjatron

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »

Ooh, interesting. You can do this, Guybird.

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »

BTW, I made none of this;  I believe it was "Alg5" or something like that who first ported it.  I have been able to make some minor tweaks to it, but nothing serious.  I'm trying to play around now with this whole idea.

This post has been edited by guybird: Jul 23 2009, 01:54 AM

nate1579

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »

maybe you can make better still ahve the pack you gave me but i dont know it works in all but charcters freeze dont rember any more been playing with other things lol

bc54

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »

ok, i just looked into it a little more. like i said before, when i just type "reboot" and then press enter, it freezes, i dont reall know why, but it does. btw, im using r1sky's setup with no addons yet.

i see that whoever made this is using busybox, which is a linux executeable that contains many common functions. it is usually used for emergency systems, so theoretically, when you are in a busybox shell, you can run many more commands that are physically in your linux filesystem. so maybe running "busybox reboot" will work. you can type "--help" to get a list  of commands. im gonna try that. ill post back when i get a chnace to test some things one this mini linux.

so i looked up "alg5 xmugen" and came across his website. it seems to be a mix between english and some other langage (french?). if anyone has the source, it would definately help.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(bc54 @ Jul 23 2009, 07:05 AM) *

your right, since i have a keyboard, i tried to run "reboot" from the command line, and it attempts to reboot, but freezes at "attempting to kill init".

its weird because i can hit "ctrl+alt+del" and rebopot it fine. maybe it you could edit the joy2key, so that something like "LT+RT+Black" equals "ctrl+alt+del". also, do you have an uncompressed version of the linux filesystem. maybe if somebody more linux capable looked at it, they could figure out how to fix the reboot problem.

also, did you make that mini linux? thats pretty impressive if you did. good luck.

Interesting. I'm watching the progress of this closely. Retracking guybird earlier steps: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=512059..

This post has been edited by ldotsfan: Jul 23 2009, 03:26 PM

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »

1. irdloop.gz is a ext2 fs loopback file, I use file command in SLAX to decipher the contents.
2. mount -o loop irdloop irdfolder
3. /etc/init calls ash and then linuxrc
4. There is a /linuxrc and /linuxrcsave

Should also take a look at busybox init: http://linux.die.net/man/1/busybox

CODE

Init is the parent of all processes.

This version of init is designed to be run only by the kernel.

BusyBox init doesn't support multiple runlevels. The runlevels field of the /etc/inittab file is completely ignored by BusyBox init. If you want runlevels, use sysvinit.

BusyBox init works just fine without an inittab. If no inittab is found, it has the following default behavior:

::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
::askfirst:/bin/sh
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::restart:/sbin/init

if it detects that /dev/console is _not_ a serial console, it will also run:

tty2::askfirst:/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:/bin/sh

If you choose to use an /etc/inittab file, the inittab entry format is as follows:

:::

:

WARNING: This field has a non-traditional meaning for BusyBox init!
        The id field is used by BusyBox init to specify the controlling tty for
        the specified process to run on.  The contents of this field are
        appended to "/dev/" and used as-is.  There is no need for this field to
        be unique, although if it isn't you may have strange results.  If this
        field is left blank, the controlling tty is set to the console.  Also
        note that if BusyBox detects that a serial console is in use, then only
        entries whose controlling tty is either the serial console or /dev/null
        will be run.  BusyBox init does nothing with utmp.  We don't need no
        stinkin' utmp.

:

The runlevels field is completely ignored.

:

Valid actions include: sysinit, respawn, askfirst, wait,
        once, restart, ctrlaltdel, and shutdown.

The available actions can be classified into two groups: actions
        that are run only once, and actions that are re-run when the specified
        process exits.

Run only-once actions:

'sysinit' is the first item run on boot.  init waits until all
                sysinit actions are completed before continuing.  Following the
                completion of all sysinit actions, all 'wait' actions are run.
                'wait' actions, like  'sysinit' actions, cause init to wait until
                the specified task completes.  'once' actions are asynchronous,
                therefore, init does not wait for them to complete.  'restart' is
                the action taken to restart the init process.  By default this should
                simply run /sbin/init, but can be a script which runs pivot_root or it
                can do all sorts of other interesting things.  The 'ctrlaltdel' init
                actions are run when the system detects that someone on the system
               console has pressed the CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination.  Typically one
               wants to run 'reboot' at this point to cause the system to reboot.
                Finally the 'shutdown' action specifies the actions to taken when
               init is told to reboot.  Unmounting filesystems and disabling swap
               is a very good here

Run repeatedly actions:

'respawn' actions are run after the 'once' actions.  When a process
                started with a 'respawn' action exits, init automatically restarts
                it.  Unlike sysvinit, BusyBox init does not stop processes from
                respawning out of control.  The 'askfirst' actions acts just like
                respawn, except that before running the specified process it
                displays the line "Please press Enter to activate this console."
                and then waits for the user to press enter before starting the
                specified process.

Unrecognized actions (like initdefault) will cause init to emit an
        error message, and then go along with its business.  All actions are
        run in the order they appear in /etc/inittab.

:

Specifies the process to be executed and its command line.

Example /etc/inittab file:

# This is run first except when booting in single-user mode.
#
::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

# /bin/sh invocations on selected ttys
#
# Start an "askfirst" shell on the console (whatever that may be)
::askfirst:-/bin/sh
# Start an "askfirst" shell on /dev/tty2-4
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:-/bin/sh

# /sbin/getty invocations for selected ttys
#
tty4::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
tty5::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5

# Example of how to put a getty on a serial line (for a terminal)
#
#::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#::respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100
#
# Example how to put a getty on a modem line.
#::respawn:/sbin/getty 57600 ttyS2

# Stuff to do when restarting the init process
::restart:/sbin/init

# Stuff to do before rebooting
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot
::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a

Rebooted SLAX and lost the files. Will try again when I have time

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »

Wow, nice to see this picking up some steam.  Well, I'll post here all relevant links I have that might help out others:

Linux Guru's Needed. - First discussion of using FriedGold's customizable minilinux setup.  Major key here is that is customizable from the start, no need to mount filesystem's in Linux in order to modify the startup script.  Other thing to note is that there is NO SOUND implemented, it would have to be added to it.

Help With Customizing Minilinux - Continuation of previous thread where rattboi goes through the steps of compiling his own minilinux.  I tried doing this myself with no luck.

Kernel Compiling for Xbox - Goes through the steps for compiling a kernel.  Also has a link at the bottom for adding in Alsa drivers (fiber optic/digital sound).

Xebian HOWTO Compiling Alsa - Another tutorial for ALSA.

Update XMugen - My second attempt to get help.

Joy2key Man page

XMugen Beta 0.4

XMugen Beta 0.1 - Where it all started

Alg5's webpage

Ok that should be enough info for now.  Hopefully some of that might help.  Thanks for looking at this Idiotsfan!  When I get time tonight, I'll try to work on the restart stuff.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10