xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Xmugen  (Read 3008 times)

guybird

• Archived User
Xmugen
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »

Its been a good three years now since XMugen was first made and after an initial firestorm of interest exploded here, and then in my forum "XMugen Spot", it seemed most people (including me) got fed up with how difficult and unreliable the Linux loader for it was, and gave up on it alltogether.  After almost two years have gone by without my playing of it, or tinkering with it in general, I'm now ready to give it another shot.  Mugen itself is very strict with its settings, and requires a bit of knowledge to get it going, but becomes fairly simple after a bit of playing around with it.  It has always been the Xbox's loader for it that has made most people give up after a short period of dealing with it.  I have tried unsuccessfully to try to compile a new loader myself, but I have no faith whatsoever in being able to do it myself.  I do however have a very good understanding of what needs to happen to put it together though.

Knowing all of that, here is my challenge to any/all coders and Linux guru's out there:

Someone please create a new Linux loader for XMugen.  It would be preferable to have a nice graphical interface (similar to the Linux bios loader's already in existance) which would allow the user to select different Mugen games with a controller, and then launch a game.  It must have the capability to display pictures, and possibly have music/themes.  Other than that little bit of coding, that's it!  Its not the amount of work needed to port something like an existing PC game, its just a small Linux kernel used to load an application.  I'm am 99% positive that the coder wouldn't need to have any knowledge of Mugen to be able to code this.

There are a TON of people out there that either have played XMugen, or have TRIED to play XMugen that would die for the chance to see this happen, myself included.  Please, please please please someone take the effort and try to make this happen!  All of you lurkers out there reading this, please post your replies and lets get some excitement for this generated so that someone with the skills to code this will be interested!

I made a thread regarding a revival of sorts for this (website and all) in the emulator section.

RedCapsMan

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »

You know, its funny.  This thread pops up as soon as I pick up another used xbox since they're super cheap and I'm tired of my 1.6.  Anything linux never worked well enough to my tastes, plus all kinds of weird HD emulator issues.

Anyway, I'm currently getting xtreme xmugen 2.0 to test it out and I'll be the first to say that I'm interested in anything you do.  Theres always room for more projects to keep the xbox going.  Thank god there are people like you and madmab, giles. resurectionx, kenshiro... too many people to name (but never enough).

Reza1986

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »

I would really like to help, but from the start to finish when XMugen came about i never knew how to code anything related to Linux. I create stuff for Mugen nowadays, so does most of the other guys that were apart of the XMugen community which includes: Stig87, Sludge, Alexlexus, Nio and a few other that i can't remember right.

Maybe you can get in contact with them and also see if you can contact r1sky, i haven't seen him in a longtime.

EDIT: I don't know if your familiar with this but nowadays Windows Mugen had an update so it can play Hi-Res stuff, so maybe you can also work on that.

This post has been edited by Reza1986: Jan 19 2009, 04:15 AM

Daggerx

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »

I would love to see this happen. xmugen great and I've enjoying playing it with my friends. Keep mugen alive...its awesome...

neil222

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »

Yeah, all the best in getting your project up and running again.

biggrin.gif

Rygrass

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »

haha i just installed the old one plays well

Goodluck with it!

juntistik

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »

I don't know what mugen is, but I'm certainly interested in the project. I am one of those who never want to see the xbox die. (used more than my 360, and not just for XBMC)

nio107

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 03:37:00 AM »

the bad thing is that people interested loss their interest cause they don't get help...

kakuto was one of them, make a new swap file from the r1sky setup, and update it with the new xmugen to play hires chars and compatible with all the characters...

then when he tryied to improve more controllers compatibles and to remove the after menu "blue screen" no one help him, I think (and hope not to be) I was the only one interested and trying to help to release it...

that's why I started an edited screenpack, lifebars and stuff to get into a friendly xmugen setup...

now that I think about it....maybe I should ftp my setup to put it to download and people can enjoy this fabulous game, and maybe if we get lucky someone will try something new, like adding the HIres stuff or like Guybird says a menu to choose screenpacks (this was already made if I remember well)...

rocky5

• Recovered User
Xmugen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

Does an one know if Xmugen works with the hd cable as i have mine set to 480p & 720p and all i get is a blank screen and nothing i think i read that linux doesn't work that great with the focus chip as i have a 1.4 128mb MB this would be great for this but i cant play it lol i can if i use the RGB scart cable.

fratslop

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

this needs to happen...............soon.......or maybe we should work on porting shugendo as sakir's progress seems to be donation based.    shugendo>mugen....

nio107

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 04:31:00 AM »

well, shugendo seems interesting, but it's slow, and a beta...

so we can try to bring to live mugen again, we are missing HIres stuff...

fratslop

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »

yes, very slow...............and i dont plan on buying a (insert console here) for him so he can dev/port by himself.
but good progress nonetheless...

i will start looking into creating a bootloader for xmugen...
we need 3 gig swapfile (maybe a switchable install through unleashX or evox for those of us without upgraded hdd) for the new build by default as this makes things nicer tongue.gif
and it would also be great if we could get linux to shutdown (preferably restart) the xbox after exiting xmugen

also looking into creating a ps3 bootloader for linmugen (to cut all the crap and make mugen actually work) as there is no current support IN ps3 linux

any ideas for the new bl should definitely be posted!!!!!!!!!!

lets not let this die............again.............

Tweakster

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

I would love to see a updated mugen for the xbox
like guybird said its been almost three years now and its time for a new xmugen.
there are alot of mugen character,stages and screenpacks in hi res that either run slow or not at all on the current version of xmugen
Also there are plans in the mugen community to start making 3-D characters and stages for mugen
so it seems the mugen scene is not going to die any time soon

I just found a hi-res dragonball mugen full game called sparking limt that has only hi-res dbz characters. stages and the screenpack is in hi res also which I would love to see played via xmugen
I hope someone will be able to create a new version since I seem to be addicted to 2-D fighters

Great news fratslop I hope you will be able to create a new bootloader (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

law56ker

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »

I'd also like to see an update of the xmugen loader. I hope someone takes on this task. Thankyou.

Nextelhalo

• Archived User
Xmugen
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

Hey all, just wondering if this got dropped off the map again?
I've been searching newsgroups and what not for the big
Xmugen Sky Special Edition and i've found nothing.  Of course
everyone now is useing Xmugen Extreme 2.0.  I'm hoping so much
that someone will pick this up again and get out on the scene again.
I might even donate if anyone is willing. smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10