xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Marathon Port  (Read 1401 times)

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »

Hi all I have taken XTecuterX73's advice to start my first port out with Marathon by using its open source engine Aleph One, on the Mac Marathon requires around 25 mbs of ram so its a good port. I just played it today using Aleph One and Iv got to say its a very well done game, it even managed to scare me a few times. From what I know the xbox can use SDL as that is what Aleph One is built apon as well.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Nov 22 2008, 12:31 AM) *

Hi all I have taken XTecuterX73's advice to start my first port out with Marathon by using its open source engine Aleph One, on the Mac Marathon requires around 25 mbs of ram so its a good port. I just played it today using Aleph One and Iv got to say its a very well done game, it even managed to scare me a few times. From what I know the xbox can use SDL as that is what Aleph One is built apon as well.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) great news, red ring!! I have played this many times before and its almost as good as halo sometimes, some people just dont know how great these older games are. Im very excited to hear the news and very looking forward to hearing and eventually trying this out when you get it released. If i knew more about what i was doing with porting games i woul have done it a long time ago!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Please keep us updated and you very well have my respect and thanks and if theres anything i can do to help just pm me or let me know.

This is very good news. It seems like the xbox still has some life just yet, Thank you very muvch for attempting to do this port.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif) I am looking forward to hearing more news from you.

XT-

EDX

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »

I commend you for your attempting to bring this game over to the xbox. The marathon trilogy is a series that has not gotten the attention it deserves. A console port would be a great way to get new players to experience these truly great games.

Please keep us posted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »

This is just awesome.  I think the X-Box will stay alive forever as long as this keeps happening.  It seems as source codes are released for the great games, there's always still someone out there willing to port it to our favorite console.  This is why the Xbox remains the best console ever.  All of the greatest games EVER...playable on one system, launchable from a hard drive, and running like they're native to it.

Awesome.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

yea i agree wholeheartedly venom, this is awesome, just when it seems like things are dead someone or something new pops up. I love all the ported games thus far, its great having xduke, xhexen and others. I wish the one guy who ported xheretic fixed the bug where the sound was low but i guess thats for another thread.

But yea red ring, its cool to see you doing this. We look very forward to your updates!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

XT-

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

hey red ring how are things coming along?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

XT-

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

eh I just need to be able to first get a good compiling going I cant seem to find a guide anywhere for comping Alephone on windows or even linux, I think I have to install the sdl sdk as well but the Aleph One source code came with SDL files which I cannot seem to link in VS 2003. So here is so far the list of things I need to do:

-Find a correct way to compile AlephOne successfully

-Get a better understanding of SDL

-Probably get the SDK for SDL

Also if anyone has encountered this problem will compiling in VS 2003 it seems that some of my .cpp files cannot find the header files needed even though they are in the same folder and are even added into the header files section. Ex I get the error code

Error xxxxxxx: Cannot finder Header File:"headerfilename.h"

bassquake

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »

Also if anyone has encountered this problem will compiling in VS 2003 it seems that some of my .cpp files cannot find the header files needed even though they are in the same folder and are even added into the header files section. Ex I get the error code

Error xxxxxxx: Cannot finder Header File:"headerfilename.h"

Hi. You probably need to make sure the folder that the header files are in is listed in the Include directory in the projects settings.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

oh okay man I'll try that ty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »

okay small update.

I managed to get a compile without any errors that pertained to not being able to find the header files, but the badness is that I know have 361 warnings and more than 3000 errors that I get to go through. Most are pertaining to undefined macros and bad pointers and integers, but it will take a while to figure out whats needed and not needed. Just thought I'd say thanks to bassquake for the great info.

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(red_ring_of_box @ Dec 7 2008, 02:03 AM) *

okay small update.

I managed to get a compile without any errors that pertained to not being able to find the header files, but the badness is that I know have 361 warnings and more than 3000 errors that I get to go through. Most are pertaining to undefined macros and bad pointers and integers, but it will take a while to figure out whats needed and not needed. Just thought I'd say thanks to bassquake for the great info.

thanks for the small update red ring!! nice to know kinda what's going on, ive got my eye on this thread and im sure i speak for alot of people when i say thank you for updating us. Keep up the good work!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

XT-

juntistik

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »

OH wow! a new project! I never played marathon back in the day, I was playing mostly duke nukem 3d, doom, and red alert. I've always wanted to play this series but never got around to it...

Best of luck Red Ring!

This post has been edited by juntistik: Dec 8 2008, 04:39 AM

sirlemonhead

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

Feel free to post errors and whatnot that you're getting, and i'll help if I can.

neil222

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

awesome news red_ring_of_box. Good luck with the port.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
Marathon Port
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

oh thanks sirlemonhead and friends good to know I have some support of this, also I found out that the version of source code I had wasn't the latest. I actually knew this but could not find the latest update until now. I actually laughed when I did find it, it was on the sourceforge download page for the latest version it was under neath all the other links in wicked small text for a source code link, but ya know I can work with the latest source code now  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4