xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Taste Of Things To Come?  (Read 396 times)

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
A Taste Of Things To Come?
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:26:00 AM »

Okay, I'm back to annoy the hell out of everyone again.  Finally got a new apartment with a permanent and reliable internet connection, so I'll be on here a lot more and perhaps even finish my XBMC PMIII theme.  I love you all and I've missed you greatly.

So, we have people looking into a lot of port work.

We've got:

-Frets on Fire
This is EXACTLY what the X-Box needs to get back into business.  Thank god it's all possible.  It needs to made 64 mb X-Box compatible, PS2 Guitar compatible, and 360 guitar compatible.  A lot of work needs to be done, but I don't see why this project would be dropped.  It's like a dream come true for a LOT of people.

-Alien Vs. Predator
This is probably the most popular ongoing project at the moment.  Everyone is looking forward to this!  Quake III Arena was done decently, but the box just doesn't have the hardware for it.  It DOES have plenty of RAM and processing capabilities for this, however, and it's all coming along very well at a slow but steady pace from what I read.  PLEASE don't give this up, Sir.

-Alien Vs. Predator 2
Possible?  With the leaked source code, perhaps.  Likely, NO.  It's a bit much to get our hopes up for, but maybe the dude with the idea has a few tricks up his sleeve.  Who knows?

-Mugen (Stand-Alone App)
The open source version of Mugen, OpenMugen, has been discontinued, but the code-thus-far is available here - http://openmugen.sourceforge.net/ (follow the links).  I have spoken to one man dedicated to this project.

-Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
I am going to start working on this again using the Jarvos emulator.  The files from the infamous PS2 UMK3.sr archive need to be extracted.  I have theoretically figured out a way to do this.  The only program capable of doing this, that we know of, is Jarvos.xbe.  It has to extract them in order to emulate the game, obviously.  Luckily, I've learned of Jarvos.exe that was included on a PC version of MAT.  I will use that to get what I need.  The tricky part will be packing another .sr file once I'm finished.

-The Mortal Kombat Project
This all depends on Mugen, apparently.  I haven't looked into it yet, and I don't plan to.  But someone should.

Peptalk and obnoxious high-hope ranting halted.

Good luck everyone!

sirlemonhead

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »

AvP2 won't be possible. There was no code leak, it was just the regular game source SDK that they released years back. We have no source code for the Lithtech engine it sits on so it can't be done.

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Sep 7 2008, 05:22 PM) *

AvP2 won't be possible. There was no code leak, it was just the regular game source SDK that they released years back. We have no source code for the Lithtech engine it sits on so it can't be done.

Good to know.  Oh well, I didn't think the box would support it anyway.  But we still have yours to look forward to.  And we all love you for it.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(l11l1VeNoM1l11l @ Sep 7 2008, 08:26 AM) *

-Mugen (Stand-Alone App)
The open source version of Mugen, OpenMugen, has been discontinued, but the code-thus-far is available here - http://openmugen.sourceforge.net/ (follow the links).  I have spoken to one man dedicated to this project.

It has not been discontinued, the person working on it (sakir) has renamed it to Shugendo and went closed source.

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Sep 8 2008, 01:22 AM) *

That is a pity, but AvP 1 was so much better than AvP 2 (at least in single player mode, never properly played either in multiplayer) that it's not too important. AvP 1 will do us very nicely.

I wish the source code to Unreal Tournament (1999, the original and best) would be released - it's nearly ten years old now, so I doubt they'd lose any cash by making the source available.

Most of all, I wish Rare would release the source code to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark - that would be beyond brilliant  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I mean, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (the best two first person shooters ever, I believe) running natively on the XBox, the PSP, the PC, etc! And since the source would be available, the games could be modded to have new levels, new features, on-line multiplayer, etc.

Now that would be gaming paradise!

l11l1VeNoM1l11l

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

I remember back before Doom 3 came out, the source code or at least a good portion of it was leaked.  I believe the same exact thing happened to Half-Life 2.  The earliest build of Doom 3 that was leaked included the source code, I remember because we downloaded it on my friend's computer WAY back in the day and we were really excited...then we got it and it barely ran at all.

Would there be any way to use these leaked source codes to build new X-Box games?  I mean...they could be pretty damn high-end games.  We already have Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 on X-Box, and I DOUBT anyone could do a better job porting them than the official developers did.  Especially Doom 3, considering the entire game was remade from the ground up to make it run.  BUT just imagine the things you could do with those sources.

Counter-Strike: Source on X-Link Kai, anyone?

And I'll ask again...does anyone have a clue how to extract and repack a .SR file?  Is there a way I could run Jarvos.xbe as an app like winRAR or WinZip?  I've been doing a lot of tinkering, but no luck.  I still haven't found a copy of the MAT with Jarvos.exe for PC yet.  If anyone can locate it, let me know.  This is for UMK3, of course.

This post has been edited by l11l1VeNoM1l11l: Sep 8 2008, 05:22 PM

GTTeancum

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 took a LOT of work to port down to the Xbox, and that was done by professionals.  Even if we legally had the source code (which we don't/can't) you're looking at well over a year for a weekend warrior coder to debug/optimize it.  It's not worth the time, not to mention that the source hasn't legally been released.

I gotta agree with Clockface though, getting the original source to Unreal Tournament would rock.  I read in multiple places that it was lost though.  Jedi Knight (the original) would be an awesome port too, but the open-source clone engine never got physics and ultimately was dropped.

Clockface

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(GTTeancum @ Sep 9 2008, 04:07 AM) *

I gotta agree with Clockface though, getting the original source to Unreal Tournament would rock.

UT can be run on the XBox, aparently - there is a Linux build which is freely downloadable, but you need the game data (hence you need the original Unreal Tournament CD for the files), and of course the XBox can run Linux natively. So I posted several times over a three year or so period on the Linux forum on these boards asking if anyone would try Linux UT on the XBox (as I don't know Linux at all). Finally, one bloke on the homebrew forum said he'd ran it fine under XBox Linux, except for no sound, and would continue to work on it. Then he stopped posting...

The thread is at:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...26818&st=15

I've just done a goole search for Linux UT and found:

http://openut.sourceforge.net/

http://www.lokigames.com/products/ut/

if anyone here is interested (please!) and wants to try to run it on the XBox.

GTTeancum

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »

clicky

That's the only traces of the source I could find

This post has been edited by GTTeancum: Sep 10 2008, 09:42 PM

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:00 PM »

ya AVP2 seems like a lost cause but would  be possible if too try and port it to a different engine? Then perhaps port it to the xbox I mean the Direct X version is almost the same as the version the xbox uses ver 8.0.1 sumthin like that and also sorry I haven't been on much I had to fresh install windows XP cause I dual booted so take my advice kids Stay Clean and DON'T DUAL BOOT. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 07:53:00 PM »

also I found some info VeNoM on the .sr file types I dont know if this is the one that you are talking about though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) also just keep going down there is more than one type of .sr file  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

http://filext.com/file-extension/sr

just thought I'd lend a helping hand.

e.g. dow where it says System info for File Extension .SR  gives some info and the program

GraphicsConverter-reg to edit them I'm guessing

sorry man but third time edit >.<

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enformats.html (go to S section)

and homepage

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

This post has been edited by red_ring_of_box: Today, 03:57 AM