xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wheres Blood?  (Read 426 times)

hellknight

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »

Hey guys I have been wondering when is some1 gonna port the old pc game Blood over to xbox? Please if any1 can do this I would love to see it thanx in advance

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »

AFAIK the source is not available, so no port. Looks like it works 100% on dosbox though, so you could try that.

hellknight

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

This may sound stupid but how does it work just emulates dos?

oozingrectum

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joshua Wood @ Mar 9 2007, 11:05 AM) *

AFAIK the source is not available, so no port. Looks like it works 100% on dosbox though, so you could try that.

It works on dosbox? Strange, it's never gotten anywhere CLOSE to working for me.

mike315

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »

Actually the source of the Alpha version of Blood is out there...but no one has made a port for it on the pc side, let alone the xbox. So its likely either really buggy, or incomplete...

Much sadness...such a bad ass game.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

hellknight

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

I know that game is sooo badass I haven't played it in years, I just wish I could code I would love to see a few games ported from PC over to Xbox. Like AvP *wink* *wink* lol Anyway back to the topic maybe ppl just feel it won't be a good port even tho I tend to disagree. Alot of old PC titles can be brought bck to life with the modded xbox and so any game that could be portyed should be IMO but I understand ppl have lives and other projects to work on, anyway everyone keep up the great work and hopefully someday there will be a port of this and many other great games.

BTW I have been wondering this for a long time but couldn't ppl simply decompile a game disc and extract the source code from that or is that not possible?

oozingrectum

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(hellknight @ Mar 10 2007, 03:01 AM) *

just wish I could code I would love to see a few games ported from PC over to Xbox. Like AvP *wink* *wink*
Don't forget Dark Forces!

VampX

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(hellknight @ Mar 10 2007, 03:01 AM) *

BTW I have been wondering this for a long time but couldn't ppl simply decompile a game disc
and extract the source code from that or is that not possible?

You (together with about a million other people) seem to misunderstand what decompiling actually does,
Decompiling means running a program and saving EVERYTHING the program does into a file.

this means you'll get a huge cluttered mess of calls and instructions, and not a clean source code ready for porting.

Decompilation at Wikipedia

Sure in the end it would be possible, but it would be such a bitch to do that noone would want to bother with it.

Clockface

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Joshua Wood @ Mar 9 2007, 12:05 PM) *

Do you mean Dosbox (PC) or DosXBox (XBox)? I seriously doubt that DosXBox is fast enough to run Blood at a playable speed, even if the emulation is accurate enough (I'd love to be proven wrong here, though  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

If you do mean DosXBox, then do you know the required settings for DosXBox?

Hopefully when the 360 runs homebrew, we'll be able to emulate DOS and Windows fast enough to run all Pentium 1 and 2 games perfectly. Yummmm. Alien vs. Predator 1 and 2, No one Lives Forever 1 and 2, Half-Life, Alice, Unreal Tournament, Thief 1 and 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Carmageddon 1 and 2, Deus Ex and so on.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

robot3

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »

Blood does work on the Xbox dosbox. Howver as a previous poster mentioned it plays so slow that it might as well be considered "unplayable". I'm sure if the xbox were a bit more powerful it might have made a difference

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 03:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Clockface @ Mar 10 2007, 03:12 PM) *

Do you mean Dosbox (PC) or DosXBox (XBox)? I seriously doubt that DosXBox is fast enough to run Blood at a playable speed, even if the emulation is accurate enough (I'd love to be proven wrong here, though  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ).

If you do mean DosXBox, then do you know the required settings for DosXBox?

Hopefully when the 360 runs homebrew, we'll be able to emulate DOS and Windows fast enough to run all Pentium 1 and 2 games perfectly. Yummmm. Alien vs. Predator 1 and 2, No one Lives Forever 1 and 2, Half-Life, Alice, Unreal Tournament, Thief 1 and 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Carmageddon 1 and 2, Deus Ex and so on.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I was referring to the xbox version, but I've never tried it. I just looked at the (PC) dosbox compatibility listing, which indicates 100% working. No idea about speed. Either try it take that other person's word that it's too slow. They might not have the best settings though.... there was a thread about one person mucking around with Xcom and he eventually managed to get it running pretty decent. At first it would just crash and be really slow etc....

fixxxer575

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »

I use DosBox v.70 and it runs Blood no problem on my 2 GHz AMD (PC)
(you still have to tweak the settings and turn up Dosbox's ram from 16 MB)
But I think the Xbox port is still v.65 ( I haven't tried it)
Dosbox v.65 for PC ran really bad.

Transfusion's forums is a good place to find out how to get Blood working for Windows XP:
http://www.transfusion-game.com/
(Transfusion is a remake of Blood using an advanced Quake 1 engine)

In fact you could probably play the old Transfusion 1.0 version as a mod for QuakeX.

By the way the leaked Blood alpha source code is not complete and probably wouldn't compile.  Also Blood alpha is alot different then retail Blood.

This post has been edited by fixxxer575: Apr 3 2007, 06:24 AM

XDelusion

• Archived User
Wheres Blood?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »

As for Transfusion it is still ONLY death match, there is not Single Player side available for it yet. Also it uses it's own custom EXE so it would not work with Quake X anyhow...

... on the other hand if ever they finish it, and if there is still interest in the XBOX 1 at that point, perhaps they would be willing to share the code for someone to port, but from the looks of things, the XBOX dev scene really seems to be taking a dive. I've not seen any major releases in quite a while!