xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Voluntary Challenge: Nethack  (Read 126 times)

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Voluntary Challenge: Nethack
« on: August 07, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

A challenge for all porters:

Nethack is one of the famous (if not the most famous) Rogue-like game ever made. It's very challenging and I still play it every day on my old PDA (PSION Revo Plus, for anybody who wonders). If you want to read more, visit the official site or read the article about Nethack on Wikipedia.

A few requests for when anyone takes up the challenge of porting Nethack 3.4.3:
  • Include support for 80x25 text-mode.
  • Include support for IBMgraphics.
  • Include overscan compensation, so all characters can be seen.
  • Include USB keyboard support.
  • Include the "dump character"-patch, so it's possible to brag over the latest YASD.
  • Make the port Hearse compatible, so bones files can be shared between brave/cowardly dungeon explorers.

Reward: eternal fame and a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor (you unfortunatly must retrieve it yourself at ~DL40).

mike315

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

I played the crap outta Rogue on my friends Tandy 1000. I have enjoyed Nethack in the past...mostly Slash'em though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(mike315 @ Aug 8 2006, 02:09 PM) View Post

I played the crap outta Rogue on my friends Tandy 1000. I have enjoyed Nethack in the past...mostly Slash'em though... smile.gif
I still have yet to make my YAFAP (finish the game ('ascend') for the first time without losing and post about it), but Nethack somehow is terrifying addictive. Never could get into Slash'EM, though. laugh.gif

XaRaNn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

Would definately be cool, the game is legendary.

There's so damn many commands. i can't see it being playable without a keyboard.

BlaCkAdDa

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »

That was my thought.

There's so many key commands, you'd have to develop an innovative UI to make it playable.

It would probalby only work for those with keyboards, which could probably find a .dsl verison or something :L)

XaRaNn

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

ya  best way to play on xbox just get a keyboard, load dsl, and telnet to nethack.alt.org