xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Want To Help?  (Read 471 times)

ash_link

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »

I am calling anyone for this project I want to direct. It will be a game much like Zelda 3 developed for the XBOX. It will be 2d since 3D scares me and it's easier to work with. Is there anyone interested in doing this?

Reason I ask for coders is that I cannot code worth shit. This project would be fun for The players as well as the coders. Also, if it makes the project any easier, if theres an open-source Zelda-Like engine that you want to port, be my guest.

The plan is to make a fully-customizble game, much like Zelda but adding elements from like WoW (Doing quests, gaining exp.). By customizble I mean editing GFX to suit the player's needs as well as add/edit new quests, anything!

I've yet to work out full details like what quests, diffrent type of things but I won't worry about that until we get a engine and crap working.

If anyone is interested PM, Reply, E-mail me.

mike315

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ May 28 2006, 04:25 PM) *

Reason I ask for coders is that I cannot code worth shit. Also, if it makes the project any easier, if theres an open-source Zelda-Like engine that you want to port, be my guest.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

VampX

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

Always fun those "i cant do shit so you get to do everything but i'm still gonna be captain" topics.

Torrean

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »

I know, I love these. "I really think that we should make this awesome thing, even though I have no idea how much time or skill it takes! Party!"

ash_link

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:40:00 PM »

Stop trying to grow your e-penis and post count by harassing other members, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. You should go back to school and learn how to be nice to other people and maybe we can get a few more ports done instead of all this whining and I NEED DONATIONS. I know how long it will take to code direct3d engine to xbox and the effort, I was wondering if someone would want to make an original one, instead of steering to a port. A simple fucking game is all I ask. What do I get? VampX and his cronie pulling the "I love it blahblah" bullshit, sucking his cock and shit. Fuck you guys i'm gonna go port my penis to XBOX, see it in 3d action. OPEN FUCKING SOURCE BITCHES. I need the ham of your sandwitch for soccer practice, it is an important thing.

This post has been edited by ash_link: May 30 2006, 03:42 AM

VampX

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ May 30 2006, 04:11 AM) *

You should go back to school and learn how to be nice to other people

Thats actually where i learned to be an asshole, going back would just make the problem worse  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

dohopoki

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ May 29 2006, 10:11 PM) *
maybe we can get a few more ports done instead of all this whining and I NEED DONATIONS.

Who is asking for donations? Who is whining?

A simple fucking game is all I ask.

Your game doesn't sound simple at all and you're not even going to work on it until the coding up and running?

Fuck you guys i'm gonna go port my penis to XBOX, see it in 3d action. OPEN FUCKING SOURCE BITCHES. I need the ham of your sandwitch for soccer practice, it is an important thing.

Maybe we can get more penis ports done instead of all this whining and soccer practice. But don't open source it, that's how e-stds spread.

enderandrew

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ May 28 2006, 09:25 PM) *

I am calling anyone for this project I want to direct. It will be a game much like Zelda 3 developed for the XBOX. It will be 2d since 3D scares me and it's easier to work with. Is there anyone interested in doing this?

Reason I ask for coders is that I cannot code worth shit. This project would be fun for The players as well as the coders. Also, if it makes the project any easier, if theres an open-source Zelda-Like engine that you want to port, be my guest.

The plan is to make a fully-customizble game, much like Zelda but adding elements from like WoW (Doing quests, gaining exp.). By customizble I mean editing GFX to suit the player's needs as well as add/edit new quests, anything!

I've yet to work out full details like what quests, diffrent type of things but I won't worry about that until we get a engine and crap working.

If anyone is interested PM, Reply, E-mail me.

Here is a nice, polite response.

If you can't code and you expect everyone else to do 99% of the work, then at least do your 1% first and see if there any takers then.

Put together a nice, professional design document.  List in detail the exact resources you need, as well as some basic pseudo-code.  You don't need to actually be a coder, you just need to know how you want things to work.

After you have the design document finished, then I would take it to game development sites and see if anyone is interested.

If the game is written around DX8, then an XBox port wouldn't be unreasonable.

However, until then, don't expect others to magically undertake a project that will likely take years simply because you asked.  If it takes experienced professional teams years to make an engine, then this won't happen overnight.

Honestly, your best bet is to take a game with mod tools (NWN, Morrowind, Oblivion, Dungeon Siege) and attempt a total conversion with one of those games.  Even if you can't code, you might be able to learn many aspects of the toolset and be better equipped to actually help your team with the project.

Regardless of what approach you take (existing engine like OGRE, new engine, mod tools) you need to start with a design document.

ash_link

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ May 30 2006, 09:09 AM) *

Here is a nice, polite response.

If you can't code and you expect everyone else to do 99% of the work, then at least do your 1% first and see if there any takers then.

Regardless of what approach you take (existing engine like OGRE, new engine, mod tools) you need to start with a design document.

I am actually starting an XBOX game modding site. It will focus more on modding games and making ports, as my website will give the tools and the tutorials to mod each game. No, it won't be a .tk free domain, I'm registering it with my money. Should I register with GoDaddy, since I am paying through paypal only?

This post has been edited by ash_link: May 30 2006, 01:26 PM

Kamiyay

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:15:00 AM »

I have no idea if this will help, but...

http://bunjeee.blogspot.com/

Actually, thinking about it, you will need to contact him about getting the source code... but it's a start right?

Kamiyay

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »

Forgive me for the double post, but I wanted to add something.

The software I linked to probably wont work. I am basing this off of the fact that while I was running it on my machine, it was god awful slow using 99% of my cpu and 225MB of my RAM.

Sorry...

enderandrew

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »

The engine's OpenGL calls would also have to be changed to DirectX calls for an XBox port, but it would allow him to build a Zelda game on the PC.

ash_link

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Jun 1 2006, 06:39 AM) *

but it would allow him to build a Zelda game on the PC.

Something's better than nothing. I might use that engine to learn somewhat. I learn from expirmentation.

mike315

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(ash_link @ Jun 1 2006, 09:27 AM) *

Something's better than nothing. I might use that engine to learn somewhat. I learn from expirmentation.

If I was you, i'd start by learning C, C++ and x86 assembly.

C info can be cleaned from the famous: The C Programming Language, Second Edition by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.

The Kernighan/Ritchie book is pretty much the defacto book on the subject...also Mr. Ritchie(the creator of C) has a nice lil reference file here: http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/cman.pdf

C++ adds OO, multiple inheritance, Polymorphism, etc etc...

ASM is tedious, but you should learn some basics anyways. It uses mnemonics to cut to the chase to talk machine code.

I'd give yourself 3 years or so to become proficient with the above languages...then you can start investigating game design. Maybe another year after that...if you are a quick learner that is.

So in 4 or so years your expirmentation may provide something useful towards your project. GOOD LUCK!!

This post has been edited by mike315: Jun 1 2006, 05:05 PM

VampX

• Archived User
Anyone Want To Help?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

He could always use Open Zelda to make his Zelda3 kinda game,
then again its not available on Xbox, and i cant seem to find a source eventhough its apparantly hosted on Sourceforge.

(project is now called "Open Legends" btw)