xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Quake 3: Arena  (Read 927 times)

vicviper74

• Archived User
Quake 3: Arena
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »

"there's no q3config.cfg in the release in "usual places"

so i assume you mean a clean one from a fresh q3 install, with no modifications made inside the pc game?"  

No No just dont put that in the folder it will auto create one once you launch  quake three
In other words DONT PUT THE  q3config.cfg IN THE FOLDER AT ALL!! LEAVE IT OUT

Carcharius

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(vicviper74 @ Nov 6 2005, 01:29 AM)
"there's no q3config.cfg in the release in "usual places"

so i assume you mean a clean one from a fresh q3 install, with no modifications made inside the pc game?" 

No No just dont put that in the folder it will auto create one once you launch  quake three
In other words DONT PUT THE  q3config.cfg IN THE FOLDER AT ALL!! LEAVE IT OUT

Sorry yes I did mean the one from a clean Q3 install.

It'll work fine with a clean copy of that file, problems will arise however if you use one that has been modified on the pc.

vicviper is also quite right in saying that it gets created when you run the game. It doesn't actually get created in that folder though, it'll get created on U:

So there are 2 solutions, either use the q3config.cfg from a clean Q3 install on the pc or leave it out altogether.

A bit of brain fade there!  :blink:

cornatbeat

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »

well well well, here it is.
welcome to quake 3 arena! hunt crash to win this arena.

you have done a very fine job carcharius! handshakes, hugs and kisses :)

i was very excited, when i first heard id is gonna release the source of q3.
ouhh yeah a xbox port will be comming by then, that for sure :)))

but now i'm kinda dissapointed. i REALLY apreciate the work and efford that has been made, but after 6 years of quake3 i somehow moved on to q4 now
and all the excitement of q3 on xbox is gone :( .
i must admit, that i've played doom3 via systemlink and i'd rather prefer doom3 over q3, because i not only looks better but it plays better ( yes i know its a full price product only 1 year old ). i hope there will be a q4 on xbox ...

i think my personal expectations regarding the capabilities of the hardware(xbox) and the engine(q3) were much too high. the console is over 4 years old by now and the engine and q3 itself even over 6 years.

it's a fine port, a VERY, VERY fine port, but with this limitations to hard- and software
i'll just stick with the original or even with the successor...
q3 on xbox kinda reminds me of q3 on my P2-233 with 256mb ram and voodoo2 back in the "early" days of q3 - i really don't want to remember that ;) ...

just my 2 cents. don't mind me...

cya&hf
 cornatbeat

p.s. : I REALLY APPRECIATE carcharius' WORK!!! i'm in softwaredevelopment myself....

peanutplanters

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »

Where do we get the utility for adding command lines? I can only find verion 1.0, which doesnt seem to work.

vicviper74

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »

so we got a game running over the net with using a pc dedicated host. BUT when you join a netowrk game you can no longer mess with options  u can bring up menu but you cant join a side or go into menus.  the controls wok fine in spectator but when u hit start all u can do is hover over options not select em. wierd

Sauron-Jin

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

If i use the q3config.cfg from a fresh install of quake 3 from my PC, the graphics are way too dark and the gamepad controls are not set (obviously), so i deleted this q3config.cfg from my xbox and also deleted all data the port puts on E/Tdata and E/Udata. After this the port seems to create its own q3config.cfg and graphics brightness is perfect and controls already configured.

So i reccomend people that is going to fresh install this into their xbox to dont ever copy any q3config.cfg from your PC, and people that already copied it and think the game is to dark, delete the .cfg and all data in E partition through the game saves manager on MSDash or UnleashX and let this fantastic port create it's own q3config.cfg

The port is fantastic, great job Carcharius. Impressive, really impressive. But as it is a beta is comprensible there are some flaws, i am sure you are aware of them, but here i will put what i have noticed the most;

- FMV quality is bad it seems the FMV are displayed in 16 bits color or something like that. Looks terrible in my VGA monitor.

- It seems there are no differences when running the port in 64 or 128 MB ram consoles, extended support fo 128 MB consoles would be awesome, in this consoles Best quality textures would be factible (i really dont know)

- lots of graphic differences between the pc version and this port, and some texture problems in reflective surfaces, but i am sure this will improve in the future ;)

Thanks for your efforts, now it's time to try it on my Tv to see how it looks  :popcorn:

Cya!

cool_guy

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »

When can we expect the source code release?  Unless I missed it somewhere..

onewhoknowsitall

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »

i didnt see it mentioned before so i though id say it. you dont need to do a full install on your pc if you dont want to. i was able to get tn on the xbox without a full install on the pc. heres what i did:

ran the 1.32 update which created a quake 3 folder on c: on my pc. it also created pak1-pak8.pk3 in the baseq3 folder.

i then explored my copy of quake 3 and found pak0.pk3, and the config file (which has also been said isnt needed so copy it if you want). i just copied those 2 files (i DIDNT copy pak1 from the CD as 1.32 installs a new copy of pak1) from the CD onto my computer.

after extracting the xbox package, i coped all the PC pak.pk3 files into the baseq3 folder for xbox and ftped it all over to my xbox.

it works like a charm and didnt need to be installed on my pc.

georaldc

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »

Alright, the port I've been waiting for! Thank you so much carcharius  :beer: .
Now, just have to look for my quake 3 cd and be in frag heaven once again  :luv:  :luv:

dalezer

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »

PUNKBUSTER support.

You can only play in host that don't have Punkbuster running. Can you guyz release a punkbuster supported version in the future.

Beelzebud

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2005, 09:06:00 PM »

In one word:

WOW

Man you did an excellent job with this!  I never imagined it would run as smooth as it does.  

Thank you for all the work you've surely put into this.  

Great job!!!

Deranged

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »

will this work ok playing it off a dvd? or is it not possible?

Stroker Ace

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2005, 11:57:00 PM »

Superb job Carcharius.  Very impressive.  By far the most exciting Xbox scene release this year.

Are there any mods that enable the kind of auto-aim that most console shooters use to compensate for joypad control in the solo game?  Is it even possible?  The only real problem is the fact that the game is designed for a mouse, and hitting high-level bots is a struggle with the pad, since it requires a degree of precision that you just can't quite get.

I'm not after a OTT Halo 2 style auto-aim, just a slightly larger crosshair and target area.

This post has been edited by Stroker Ace: Nov 6 2005, 08:04 AM

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deranged @ Nov 6 2005, 05:48 AM)
will this work ok playing it off a dvd? or is it not possible?

probably not since, it writes the .cfg file to base3 folder.........maybe carcharious could set it up to write it to the save folder or something.

Ive never been so excited about a release in along time.....this made me 4get about the fact that the 360 is coming out soon.

foahchon

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »

Anyone else having major slowdown problems? It runs great for me the first few matches, but as soon as there are more than, say, 3 bots in a match, it runs so slowly that it is not even playable. Is it just me though?
Pages: 1 2 [3]